Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got questions for you if you have the time and patience to oblige me.

Comment

• Originally posted by g60gti View Post
      I had 8 years on with DOCS when I took this job in Nov. of 2014. I had the same reservations as you. No more overtime, and no more swaps(oh glorious swaps). Since I've been on with courts I can absolutely, 100% say, I would go kicking and screaming if you tried to take me back to DOCS. It was such a miserable life draining job and you will never realize it until you get out. If you get the call you have nothing to lose by coming over. You will keep your current salary and retirement/tier and if you don't like it you have a year to go back to DOCS without having to go through the hiring process again.

Yes working 5 days a week took a little getting used to but every weekend home and a short 7 hour day makes for a more normal life. No more afternoons or midnights! Yeah, you have to work 5 extra years with courts but in the long run you'll probably live an extra ten because you have no stress.
      I got questions for you if you have the time and patience to oblige me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDD57 View Post
        Congrats! to all who did well on the test. Been reading some of the posts on here and from what I read a lot of you did very well. You took and passed your first step for this awesome job. But the work has just begun for you. The hardest part of this job is getting it. Hopefully by now you started to get in shape and if you haven't then, start doing it. Accept working out and better eating habits as a change in lifestyle. You will need it all the way through the hiring process and if you get into the academy. PATIENCE is key from this point on. Find it, embrace it, and use it. Make it your best friend as it is a long process. If you want this job bad enough patience and discipline will help you.
        As for the ones worrying if you scored high enough to get canvassed. Check out how far down the score each JD reached. If your willing to relocate through out the state, then put in for that JD. You can put in as many as you are willing to move to.
        So once again congrats and good luck to you guys. Your journey is just beginning to hopefully one day you get this awesome job.
        Do you know when we get to select our jurisdiction? I got a 92.5 on the most recent exam, list # 37**, so I've got some time, but just curious as to when they allow us to select the jurisdiction we would like to go to.

Thank you for your help.
        NYPD EXAM: 4312
        Score: 9X
        List: 1XX

NY Court Officer Exam - Oct 2014
        Score : ?
        List # : ?

Bridge & Tunnel Officer Exam : March 21 2015
        Score : 100
        List : ?

Comment

• Someone really posted their social security on here? I swear there should be a daily test of mental capacity and judgement before people are allowed to use the Internet

Comment

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
            Someone really posted their social security on here? I swear there should be a daily test of mental capacity and judgement before people are allowed to use the Internet
            Pretty sure it was a fake number

#sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
              Someone really posted their social security on here? I swear there should be a daily test of mental capacity and judgement before people are allowed to use the Internet
              There should be a reading comprehension test before people are able to criticize others. Read the post again and scroll down a little. Hint...it was a joke.

Comment

• Just got my score. 91. Best score on a uniformed position. I even took the exam after a full 8 (plus 30 min un paid) over night shift. I am content with that.

Comment

• Mike19- when you receive a canvass letter to start the hiring process it will ask you what JD's you would like to work in. You can check as many as you are willing to move to. Good luck to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelnick82 View Post
                    I got questions for you if you have the time and patience to oblige me.
                    I'll amswer what I can for you. If it's something generic I'll post it up here so someone else might get some benefit. If it's more personal just PM me.

Comment

• Originally posted by g60gti View Post
                      I'll amswer what I can for you. If it's something generic I'll post it up here so someone else might get some benefit. If it's more personal just PM me.
                      1. Making the lateral transfer State to State I get to keep my base pay? And if I do keep it do I get yearly raises, or do I sit at that rate until my classmates catch up?

2. Currently I am a Tier 3 retirement plan because even though I have a Tier 4 date Corrections doesn't recognize tier 4 so they give us tier 3. I was told by a friend that if I make the jump to Courts I would be Tier 4 because they actually recognize Tier 4. Is that true? And what is the difference between 3 and 4?

3.You said Courts work 7 hour days? When you say 7 hours do mean 7 hours from start to finish of your shift. Or do you mean 7 hours + 1 hr lunch in there bringing the total time of the day to 8hrs?

4. Over time, is it available at all? If so, how hard is it to get? (I am from the Buffalo area, I'm aware this question might have a different answer Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction)

5. The Job is really day shift, weekends off, and holidays off? What shift is day shift exactly? 7 to 3, 8 to 4, 9 to 5?

Comment

• If someone doesnt mind alsp helping me out with my question...id appreciate it tremendously...

trying to figure out if I have much of a chance with my scores....I recieved an 88 with a rank of 11,400...

not sure if this is a good score or not....a rank of 11,400 doesn't seem too well?? I live in NYC and would like to choose a NYC Court House.

Id appreciate any help guys, thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelnick82 View Post
                          1. Making the lateral transfer State to State I get to keep my base pay? And if I do keep it do I get yearly raises, or do I sit at that rate until my classmates catch up?

2. Currently I am a Tier 3 retirement plan because even though I have a Tier 4 date Corrections doesn't recognize tier 4 so they give us tier 3. I was told by a friend that if I make the jump to Courts I would be Tier 4 because they actually recognize Tier 4. Is that true? And what is the difference between 3 and 4?

3.You said Courts work 7 hour days? When you say 7 hours do mean 7 hours from start to finish of your shift. Or do you mean 7 hours + 1 hr lunch in there bringing the total time of the day to 8hrs?

4. Over time, is it available at all? If so, how hard is it to get? (I am from the Buffalo area, I'm aware this question might have a different answer Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction)

5. The Job is really day shift, weekends off, and holidays off? What shift is day shift exactly? 7 to 3, 8 to 4, 9 to 5?
                          As long as you have 5 years in you will keep everything. You will come in at or around your base and get steps until you are at courts base pay for your time. Also any contractual raises obviously. You will keep all your sick and 2 weeks of vacation and get a payout for the remainder. Of course NYS needs their cut which means it will all get recalculated as you earned it as a 7 hour day, which you didn't so I don't even see how that's allowed but that's a whole other story. Also you will accrue vacation at the max rate.

I was tier 3 also and now I'm 4. I should but I really don't know all the differences. From my understanding though they are the same. I'm sure it's all on the NYS retirement website.

We work 7 hours with a 1 hour unpaid lunch.

I'm from buffalo too so this will be JD specific. OT is there but it's scarce. It's all weekend OT and you might get 8 hours total in a weekend. You can work a weekend and not kill your whole day because it's only from like 8-12. Seeing we only work 35 hour weeks the first 5 hours of OT is either straight time or comp time(vacation). After that you earn time and a half. It's a sign up very similar to how corrections was.

The job is really day shift, 9-5. There are 8-4 shifts but all the senior guys have those. No weekends unless you sign up. You will probably get stuck one weekend a year, that's it. No holidays.
                          Last edited by g60gti; 09-18-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Koappa
                            Koappa commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You say 5 years keeps your base pay. Do you mean 5 or less? I have 3 years in corrections and still debating whether to take the job with the courts or not. Psych eval and background investigation in a couple of days. Thanks in advance

• Corrections was a good job, it paid the bills and took care of the family. Despite that it really is a pretty dismal job. You tell yourself it's not and do your best to keep positive but in the end working all different shifts, weekends, and around the worst people imaginable takes a mental toll. I met so many good people and still see some of them today. I do miss that a little, but that's it.

There are the obvious benefits to being outside the walls but there are so many more that you will only know once your on this job. That's why you hear every court officer say this is the best gig in LE.

Here's a link with all the HR numbers. They were really helpful when I had questions about my transfer.
                          https://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/contactus.shtml

Hope it helps you a bit. Good luck man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tactical1 View Post
                            If someone doesnt mind alsp helping me out with my question...id appreciate it tremendously...

trying to figure out if I have much of a chance with my scores....I recieved an 88 with a rank of 11,400...

not sure if this is a good score or not....a rank of 11,400 doesn't seem too well?? I live in NYC and would like to choose a NYC Court House.

Id appreciate any help guys, thanks!
                            Well in comparison to the previous list you would get canvassed for NYC in about 4 years with that score. NYC canvassed scored 83 and above for that list. If you scored below that you didn't get canvassed at all. Half of the upstate JD's canvassed scores all the way down to 70 and the most difficult one to get canvassed for is Long Island canvassed scores up to 85. So if you want to ensure you get canvassed go with upstate JD's 4, 5, 6(all went down to scores in the 70's). If you really want to stay in the city and can wait 3-4 years then go for it. I waited 4 years to get canvassed and still waiting to get into academy. Also it could be completely different for your list, my list had to endure a basically three year hiring freeze. Good luck to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ish3000 View Post
                              Well in comparison to the previous list you would get canvassed for NYC in about 4 years with that score. NYC canvassed scored 83 and above for that list. If you scored below that you didn't get canvassed at all. Half of the upstate JD's canvassed scores all the way down to 70 and the most difficult one to get canvassed for is Long Island canvassed scores up to 85. So if you want to ensure you get canvassed go with upstate JD's 4, 5, 6(all went down to scores in the 70's). If you really want to stay in the city and can wait 3-4 years then go for it. I waited 4 years to get canvassed and still waiting to get into academy. Also it could be completely different for your list, my list had to endure a basically three year hiring freeze. Good luck to all.
                              lets say you decide to move upstate. how long and how easy is it to transfer back to the city

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7660 users online. 392 members and 7268 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X