Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tier 6 sucks. I can guarantee it is still better than what will be offered with Tier 7, tier 8 and tier 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clo 49 View Post
      Tier 6 sucks. I can guarantee it is still better than what will be offered with Tier 7, tier 8 and tier 9.
      Tier 1 (public service employment prior to July 1973) was the best tier of them all. No caps on overtime; no employee contribution required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
        ...?

Tier 6 officers are not 30 year officers. There's a guy from my class that will have to put in 41 years if he wants a full pension with no early retirement penalty.

You're speaking of both state and municipal employees working until they're 63 years old under Tier 6. The exceptions is NYSP,NYSDCCS, Municpal police officers covered under a 20 year, out at any age Plan, and county correction officers covered under a 25 year, out at any age plan. I do believe that state court officers should be given the same retirement benefits as their correction officers counterpart. There are times during court proceedings when defendants will get combative and need to be restrained. And the risk of injury is there to the court and correction officers present during the trial.
        Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 09-05-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• I'm tier 4. We pay in for 10 years. Not to bad. The new guys got it pretty rough. Still a lot better than working private sector!

Comment

Tier 6 sucks. I can guarantee it is still better than what will be offered with Tier 7, tier 8 and tier 9.

But not as good, even worse than Tiers 1,2 and 4.

Comment

I'm tier 4. We pay in for 10 years. Not to bad. The new guys got it pretty rough. Still a lot better than working private sector!

True....I was in Tier 3; then switch over to Tier 4, 89-P Plan (25 years and out and any age) for county correction officers.

Comment

• Courts and Corrections are not even in the same ballpark. I worked Corrections for years. It's terrible. I never knew how bad it was until I changed to Courts. Corrections Guys deserve 25/out. By the time you hit 25 years, you actually have 30 in with the crazy overtime and mandations. People who never worked in the correctional field don't and can't begin to understand just what this career field is like. You are literally a prisoner for 8 to 16 hours a day.
                With the courts its not like that. You don't sit and wait to be released after a grueling shift. My command runs smoothly and even a 65 year old guy still enjoys working it. Courts is a whole different world. I will stay on this job as long as I can. No sense retiring and finding something else. This is a great career.

Comment

• One problem with 20/out retirement, there is no incentive to stay longer. You will retire at 1/2 pay whether you stay 20 or 40. They want your 20 years of service and then they want you gone. You are now to old and to expensive to keep around.
                  Courts would rather keep good seasoned officers around rather than hire new. That's why we have a 30 year at 60% and bonuses for every year of service after 30. A guy that starts at 22 years old can put in 43 years and retire at 78%. ( I hope my math is correct)

Comment

One problem with 20/out retirement, there is no incentive to stay longer. You will retire at 1/2 pay whether you stay 20 or 40. They want your 20 years of service and then they want you gone. You are now to old and to expensive to keep around.
                    Courts would rather keep good seasoned officers around rather than hire new. That's why we have a 30 year at 60% and bonuses for every year of service after 30. A guy that starts at 22 years old can put in 43 years and retire at 78%. ( I hope my math is correct)

Police Officers enrolled in either the NYS Police & Firefighters' Tier (more advantageous benefits not available in LRS Tiers) or Local Retirement System (LRS) with a twenty year plan, out at any age retirement Don't "max out" at 50% half pay. They may continue in service and "cap out" after 37.5 years of service at 75%. Many police and correction officers, particularly those in higher ranks, will remain after their 20 and 25 year of service.One reason is economics: How many of them can survive on half-pay alone? Many of them haven't thought of the prospect of a second career in their 40s and 50s after retirement. And some still have children in high school and college whom they're still supporting.

Most of your smaller to mid-sized police and sheriff's offices appreciate experienced, seasoned officers. The Admin knows what to expect from them. With new hires, armed and on street patrol or placed in a correctional setting, one never knows what to expect from them or how they will react in dangerous situations. Yes, Clo 49, the OCA is a good gig. One of my co-workers from the S.O. will be in the OCA academy this month; I wish her the best of luck and I know she'll do well where ever the OCA may assign her in the Hudson Valley.

Comment

Courts and Corrections are not even in the same ballpark. I worked Corrections for years. It's terrible. I never knew how bad it was until I changed to Courts. Corrections Guys deserve 25/out. By the time you hit 25 years, you actually have 30 in with the crazy overtime and mandations. People who never worked in the correctional field don't and can't begin to understand just what this career field is like. You are literally a prisoner for 8 to 16 hours a day.
                      With the courts its not like that. You don't sit and wait to be released after a grueling shift. My command runs smoothly and even a 65 year old guy still enjoys working it. Courts is a whole different world. I will stay on this job as long as I can. No sense retiring and finding something else. This is a great career.
                      I agree working for OCA is a great career. There is no shortage of attorneys aspiring to be elected to judgeships with 10 and 14 year terms on a county or Judicial district (JSC) level.

Comment

• I meet with my BI next week but I just want to congratulate everyone starting the upstate academy tomorrow. GOOD LUCK to all.

Comment

• Good luck to all the guys and girls who start the academy tomorrow. This is the home stretch. Don't give up!

Comment

Good luck to all the guys and girls who start the academy tomorrow. This is the home stretch. Don't give up!

Clo, how many are in that class??

Comment

• I don't know, I know the facility can hold up to 70 recruits. I know the last class to go through was at maximum capacity so if I had to guess, I'd say it's a good possibility that this class will be around that.

Comment

• Good luck tomorrow guys and girls.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4229 users online. 187 members and 4042 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X