Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck to all recruits going into the upstate academy on September 8th. Eyes & ears open, mouths shut. Be ready physically and mentally and DON'T QUIT!! You've put in a lot of time, effort, and hardwork to get in. You wanted to get in the academy and get this awesome job. So quitting is not an option. We need you guys upstate and will be waiting for you when you graduate.
    As for the ones waiting for your test results, good luck to you guys as well. You should be getting your results soon and I hope you get the opportunity to get on this job.

Comment

• Good luck to all who made it to the last upstate academy. Like TDD57 said, eyes and ears open and mouth shut. Believe me, you will be sorry and there is always one knucklehead that won't shut his mouth. Don't quit. Is it really worth quitting after all this. Give 110% for the next 15 weeks and then enjoy the next 30 years.

Comment

• Also guys, remember ON TIME is LATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Clo 49 View Post
          Good luck to all who made it to the last upstate academy. Like TDD57 said, eyes and ears open and mouth shut. Believe me, you will be sorry and there is always one knucklehead that won't shut his mouth. Don't quit. Is it really worth quitting after all this. Give 110% for the next 15 weeks and then enjoy the next 30 years.
          New tier 6 officers do not have 30/55. Standard retirement is aged 63, just like a civilian. There is a bill on cuomos desk to restore 30/55 to court system peace officers, however I expect he'll veto it just like last year. I'd love to be proved wrong on that though.

Comment

• Congratulations to all who will be attending the academy. Stick it out. Eyes open, ears open and mouth shut! Be early.

It will be a long, miserable and sometimes physically demanding but always mentally demanding 3 and a half months...

Comment

• Originally posted by GWOTVet1985 View Post
              Congratulations to all who will be attending the academy. Stick it out. Eyes open, ears open and mouth shut! Be early.

It will be a long, miserable and sometimes physically demanding but always mentally demanding 3 and a half months...
              I found it physically and mentally challenging, I was never miserable. I was happy for the opportunity to be there and I learned a lot and made some great friends along the way. Miserable? No way......

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
                New tier 6 officers do not have 30/55. Standard retirement is aged 63, just like a civilian. There is a bill on cuomos desk to restore 30/55 to court system peace officers, however I expect he'll veto it just like last year. I'd love to be proved wrong on that though.
                I'm confident that the pension issue will get fixed.... It may not happen until this governor is out of office but I am confident it will be fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by nicholas.wathen View Post
                  Yes, I do agree that there are those people out there. At the same token all blemishes were disclosed FULLY before this whole process ever began (2009). So all things like this were known about well in advance. If not from 2009 how about in Oct when I was canvassed. All my info was still there on my application they can't tell me they had no clue. No reason to drag people all the way through the process only to stall someone's BI out at the very end and throw it away. So maybe, just maybe if there were some sort of "actual" pre screenings in place it wouldn't take candidates (who have a real shot) years to get threw and those of us who never had a chance would save lots and lots of money, time and aggravation. On top of that all of the NYS tax payers dollars on pointless hours wasted of the investigators and court officers time, evaluations and medical screenings. But hey none of which will ever change. I currently work in a law enforcement field for a state department and see the disfunction ALL day long of poor planning, poor communication, and poor ideas that waste hours and money. Not to mention my current department saw my background during my hiring process and it never halted anything, it wasn't that big of a deal. Again I don't mean to make this a b**** session and sorry if it comes off that way. It just never sat right with me to be told my case wasn't going to get touched while I was right in the middle of the process, but hey continue anyway. I would have liked my case presented to the board for a decision, yes or no. At least I would have know I had a fair shot. On another note my BI was actually very pleasant and very easy to get ahold of during the process. I was told certain times which were best to call and when I did they were there on the other end of the phone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                  Sorry this happen to you, Nick. Unfortunately; OCA, NYSP, DCCS (corrections) follow very strict hiring and retention guidelines. And these guidelines apply to experienced law enforcement officers working in smaller agencies seeking a position with the state. Smaller agencies (sheriff's offces, police agencies, etc) generally view a candidates' "record as a whole" rather then disqualify on minor blemishes that occurred years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by protector343 View Post
                    I'm confident that the pension issue will get fixed.... It may not happen until this governor is out of office but I am confident it will be fixed.

When did this tier 6 come about??

Comment

County Correction Officers are Tier 4-5,Plan 89-p; 25 years and out at any age retirement. Tier 6?? when did this come about?? This means at least TEN years of vesting; two percentage retirement contribution during entire public service employment, and NO retirement at age 55 even with a penalty reduction. I can't see state court officers working 35-40 years until age 62.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                        County Correction Officers are Tier 4-5,Plan 89-p; 25 years and out at any age retirement. Tier 6?? when did this come about?? This means at least TEN years of vesting; two percentage retirement contribution during entire public service employment, and NO retirement at age 55 even with a penalty reduction. I can't see state court officers working 35-40 years until age 62.

NYS Court Officers hired under tier 6 contribute 4% for their entire career, the way the system is currently set up. They MAY retire at age 55, however that will result in approximately 50% benefit reduction. Real quick back of the envelope math, if you put in 30 years and for the sake of our math here earned yourself a $50,000 pension by the age of 55, retiring early will subject you to the penalty and leave you with about $25k after 30 years of service.

Tier 6 came about around 2010-2011 or so, whenever the state was experiencing it's major hiring freeze. I too see it becoming better in the future, however it's important new hires and current officers alike are aware of what the current situation is, since people throughout my command insist on it currently being 30/55 for all while that just isn't the case.
                        Last edited by Kabbage; 09-05-2015, 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed error

Comment

NYS Court Officers hired under tier 6 contribute 4% for their entire career, the way the system is currently set up. They MAY retire at age 55, however that will result in approximately 50% benefit reduction. Real quick back of the envelope math, if you put in 30 years and for the sake of our math here earned yourself a $50,000 pension by the age of 55, retiring early will subject you to the penalty and leave you with about $25k after 30 years of service.

Tier 6 came about around 2010-2011 or so, whenever the state was experiencing it's major hiring freeze. I too see it becoming better in the future, however it's important new hires and current officers alike are aware of what the current situation is, since people throughout my command insist on it currently being 30/55 for all while that just isn't the case.
                          You are correct on Tier 6. I did some research and it seems Tier 6 was enacted in April 2012. I remember back in 1976 when Tier 3 was created as part of a "pension reform" package under Governor Hugh Carey. At the Time the state was undergoing a fiscal crisis, and critics were complaining about the generosity of Tier 1 and 2. The state's solution was to create "Tier 3" which made social security part of the retirement package. In other words, your social security payments serves as an offset to your municipal pension. At that time you could collect social security at age 62 without penalty. Also, at that time there was no age 55 out after 30 years for Tier 3 employees. The Police and Firefighters Tier, 20 years and out, was in existence, but quite costly to the few municipalities outside of NYC that had it.

It took years and a different governor to get this amended; but finally, some changes to Tier 3 took place in the mid-1980s. State Corrections was placed on the 25 year, out at any retirement in the mid-80s. However; most of the county sheriff's offices' corrections remained in LRS Tier 3 with any 25 year retirement provision until 2005 when the state comptrollers officer mandated that NYS counties pay for 89-P special plan for county correction officers.
                          Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 09-05-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Tier VI Pension Reform

New York State Pension Reform
                            Tier VI
                            Effective April 1, 2012

On March 16, 2012, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into law Chapter 18 of the Laws of 2012, which amends portions of the Retirement and Social Security Law, Education Law and the Administrative Code of the City of New York affecting the contributions and benefits of employees who join a New York State public retirement system on or after April 1, 2012.

ERS/TRS

• Effective for all employees joining a NYS public retirement system on or after April 1, 2012.
                            • Vesting requires 10 years of service credit.
                            • Requires 3% (ERS) and 3.5% (TRS) employee contribution, regardless of salary, until April 1, 2013; thereafter, the contribution rate in a given year is based upon regular compensation, as follows:
                              • Wages of $45,000 or less.............................................. ...3%
                              • Wages between $45,000 and $55,000................................3.5%
                              • Wages between $55,000 and $75,000....................….........4.5%
                              • Wages between $75,000 and $100,000..............................5.75%
                              • Wages of more than $100,000 but less than $179,000.........6%

• Increases the retirement age to 63 in order to retire with an unreduced benefit; members retiring between age 55 and age 63 are subject to a reduction of 6.5% for each year retirement precedes age 63. A provision is also included that allows NYSUT-affiliated bargaining units to petition the governor for an unreduced benefit at age 57 with 30 or more years of service, with any additional actuarial costs to be borne by eligible employees.
                            • Mandates a 5-year final average salary (FAS) calculation using regular compensation for determining retirement benefits.
                            • Excludes from the FAS calculation wages exceeding the average of the previous four years by more than 10%.
                            • Caps pensionable overtime at $15,000 plus inflation.
                            • Eliminates use of lump payments for unused vacation accruals in FAS calculations.
                            • Reduces by half the number of sick leave days from 200 to 100 eligible for service credit.
                            • Limits pensionable salaries to regular compensation from only two employers during a given year.
                            • Caps salary allowable in a FAS calculation at the New York State governor's salary (currently $179,000).
                            • Changes the pension multiplier for years of service as follows:
                              • Less than 20 years of service………………………........1.66% for each year of service
                              • 20 or more years of service (1st 20 years) ....................1.75%
                              • Years exceeding 20 years……………………….............2%

• Requires a 6% contribution to purchase military and prior service.

SUNY ORP

• New employee/employer contribution rates will apply to all employees joining the SUNY ORP on or after April 1, 2012.
                            • Vesting period remains unchanged at 366 days or immediate for employees with vested employer-funded retirement contracts through approved vendors from previous employment.
                            • Employee contributions will now be required of all participants for the duration of their employment, and will no longer be picked up by the employer after ten years, as they are today.
                            • All participants will be required to make employee contributions at the current rate of 3% until April 1, 2013. Thereafter, employee contribution rates in a given calendar year will be based upon their earnings in the second calendar year preceding the current calendar year, as follows:
                              • Wages of $45,000 or less.............................................. ...3%
                              • Wages between $45,000 and $55,000...............................3.5%
                              • Wages between $55,000 and $75,000....................…........4.5%
                              • Wages between $75,000 and $100,000.............................5.75%
                              • Wages of $100,000 or more …………………………............6%

• Employer contribution will remain 8% of compensable salary for the first 7 years of employment, and 10% thereafter.
                            • Allowable contribution limits will continue to follow the definitions contained within §390 of Education Law, §131 of Retirement and Social Security Law, and §415 and §401(a)(17) IRS annual contribution limits; and will not be subject to the newly imposed caps and limitations applicable to Tier VI ERS/TRS members.

Voluntary DC Plan

• A voluntary defined contribution plan option will be made available to all unrepresented employees of NYS public employers who earn more than $75,000 annually as of July 1, 2013.
                            • The SUNY ORP was selected as the ideal vehicle to accomplish this, and Education Law was modified accordingly to permit this newly eligible class of non-SUNY public employees. Vesting, vendors, and plan rules will follow existing SUNY Plan Document and policies.
                            • Transferring State employees whose immediately preceding employment was with another department, division, or agency of the State shall not be eligible for the DC option and must remain with their current retirement system.
                            • Employee contribution rates in a given calendar year will be based upon their earnings in the second calendar year preceding the current calendar year, as follows:
                              • Wages of $45,000 or less.............................................. ....3%
                              • Wages between $45,000 and $55,000................................3.5%
                              • Wages between $55,000 and $75,000......................….......4.5%
                              • Wages between $75,000 and $100,000..............................5.75%
                              • Wages of $100,000 or more ……………………........…….....6%

• A fixed employer contribution of 8% of compensable salary will be made to participants’ accounts for the duration of their employment, and will not increase to 10% after 7 years, as for SUNY employees.
                            • Allowable contribution limits will follow the definitions contained within §390 of Education Law, §131 of Retirement and Social Security Law, and §415 and §401(a)(17) IRS annual contribution limits; and will not be subject to the newly imposed caps and limitations applicable to Tier VI ERS/TRS members.

Resources for Additional Information

Additional information and resources pertaining to Tier VI and NYS Pension Reform can be found at:

Comment

• Thank you for posting this info County Correction Officer. Yes every new state employee will be under the tier 6 retirement. NYS Courts has always been 30 years and 55. They tried years ago to go to 20/ out and never got the OK from the governer. It doesn't matter anyway.
                              We are in a 30 year retirement , but still is one of the best gigs in law enforcement.
                              1. We only work 7 hour days ( 35 hour week)
                              2. We always have home field advantage. Not working in unfamiliar territory.
                              3. We work in controlled climate. No brutal cold, rain, sleet, heat or crap.
                              4. Work is not back breaking.
                              5. More AL/ Sick time then you will know what to do with it.
                              6. After 30 years you add 1.5% for every additional year of service.
                              7. Ability to transfer anywhere in NYS.
                              8. No residency restrictions.
                              9. Starting pay/ top pay is comparible if not higher than most law enforcement agencies in the US. ( Believe me, I have done my research)
                              And I'm sure there are many more. This is an unbelievable career and I hope all of you entering the academy will make it through. Good luck.
                              Last edited by Clo 49; 09-05-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clo 49 View Post
                                Thank you for posting this info County Correction Officer. Yes every new state employee will be under the tier 6 retirement. NYS Courts has always been 30 years and 55. They tried years ago to go to 20/ out and never got the OK from the governer. It doesn't matter anyway.
                                We are in a 30 year retirement , but still is one of the best gigs in law enforcement.
                                1. We only work 7 hour days ( 35 hour week)
                                2. We always have home field advantage. Not working in unfamiliar territory.
                                3. We work in controlled climate. No brutal cold, rain, sleet, heat or crap.
                                4. Work is not back breaking.
                                5. More AL/ Sick time then you will know what to do with it.
                                6. After 30 years you add 1.5% for every additional year of service.
                                7. Ability to transfer anywhere in NYS.
                                8. No residency restrictions.
                                9. Starting pay/ top pay is comparible if not higher than most law enforcement agencies in the US. ( Believe me, I have done my research)
                                And I'm sure there are many more. This is an unbelievable career and I hope all of you entering the academy will make it through. Good luck.
                                ...?

Tier 6 officers are not 30 year officers. There's a guy from my class that will have to put in 41 years if he wants a full pension with no early retirement penalty.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6190 users online. 259 members and 5931 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X