300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mikelewis View Post
    I spoke to my investigator via email. I asked about the NYC academy but he said since my preference was upstate I wouldn't qualify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent my investigator a email last monday and he still hasn't gotten back to me. Im starting to feel like im **** out of luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Positive Thinker View Post
      Does anyone know how long it generally takes to get appointment to meet with Background Investigator once you have passed the PAT?
      It usually isn't more then a week or two after the PAT/Written psych but there have been differences w each individual candidate. I know for my process I met with the investigator a week after.

Comment

• NYS Court Officers

Originally posted by nyscourt1986 View Post
        Sent my investigator a email last monday and he still hasn't gotten back to me. Im starting to feel like im **** out of luck.
        Seems like some people are really lucky and have open back and forth communication with their investigator. I know when I was in the background stage of my application it was mission impossible to have dialogue of any sort with my investigator. It took 3 months of failed email and phone call attempts to finally have a phone call answered.

Comment

• OK so here's my experience, received canvass back in Oct. For upstate and took my PAT back in June (which I passed) and meet with my BI. At the meeting I was asked to provide a couple statements for some things in my past when i was a juvenile. I emailed everything within a few days. A week goes by and i get an email scheduling a written Psych, which I accept. In the mean time i get an email stating that I'm missing certain items which is preventing my BI from being completed and that this is the last class etc.... So i call my BI who says i need to provide these statements. I explained it was already emailed and provided a specific date and time as to when I sent that email. The BI says OK, got it here, call me back in a couple of days and make sure I have everything. I call 2 days later, BI says I need to provide statements, again I provide the specific date and time of the email. After a moment BI says ok here they are (AGAIN). BI then says well Im just going to be honest with you, were really only processing the people with easy backgrounds like 1 school or maybe a couple of employers because of the time crunch were under here. Some of these cases are going to take some time. At this point I CANNOT BELIEVE I'm being told this, this CANT POSSIBLY be legal! And YES these were the words exactly. I then ask if its even worth driving all the way across state to take the psych eval because it cost a couple hundred dollars every time between gas and hotel rooms. I was told well yes because you never know. So at this point I am over $4,000 invested into this process between LASIK, forms, printouts, records, gas, hotel rooms ect. (Like most of us). So I took written eval in July and I heard nothing back. I called my BI every Friday to make sure nothing was needed on my part or anything I can do to aid in the process and I was always told no, just wait. About 1½ weeks ago I was finally told I was still waiting on 3 employers and "with that and still needing a oral eval and to go to the board I can guarantee you your not going to get in". Yeah talk about a blow, I know the feeling. I had so much invested into this process and busted my a** for over 2 yrs losing 50lbs and being in the best shape possible. Yes I do feel that my case was put to the bottom because of a couple stupid mistakes as a kid. If im not going to get in it should have been by the due process of the board deciding I was not qualified. Not because the BI's are under staffed and over worked. No I am not blaming them, I say its somewhat of lack of coordination as a whole. So there's my rant and sorry to take up so much of the page : ). Honestly, Good luck to all it has been a great pleasure following this form for a few years. Take care!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Sorry to hear that nick. I honestly think it was very unprofessional on their part to do that. I also invested a lot to get this job and to be told I was not getting it felt cheap and unfair. My background investigator didn't seem all that helpful at all. I remember calling him after receiving that email stating I was missing some things and he gave me an attitude and questioned why I was calling him. Again very unprofessional. Just because your at the position your at now doesn't mean you can treat others like ****. They should've allowed the people who didn't meet the deadline into the NYC academy since we went through the process. I was very disappointed on how this experience went and honestly wouldn't recommend anyone go through it unless they've had no job history , no records , tickets etc and perfect vision. Again good luck to everyone who made it in. As for us who didn't there's something better out there for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikelewis View Post
              Sorry to hear that nick. I honestly think it was very unprofessional on their part to do that. I also invested a lot to get this job and to be told I was not getting it felt cheap and unfair. My background investigator didn't seem all that helpful at all. I remember calling him after receiving that email stating I was missing some things and he gave me an attitude and questioned why I was calling him. Again very unprofessional. Just because your at the position your at now doesn't mean you can treat others like ****. They should've allowed the people who didn't meet the deadline into the NYC academy since we went through the process. I was very disappointed on how this experience went and honestly wouldn't recommend anyone go through it unless they've had no job history , no records , tickets etc and perfect vision. Again good luck to everyone who made it in. As for us who didn't there's something better out there for us.

Did you guys take the test again last year? If you get called again they will have most of your stuff already on file. The upstate classes are typically much smaller than downstate, and if you read any of my posts (or went onto the courts careers website) you'd see that OCA is doing a mass interview/transfer of officers from downstate to upstate. That alone makes it all the more difficult to get into an upstate academy. There will be classes off the new list, there will be another test etc. don't give up if you want it.
              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Remember guys, OCA has a pool of close to 100,000 eligible candidates to chose from. Not everyone makes it to the academy. For one reason or another they found something they didn't like in your background. It may have been something minor or something major. It doesn't matter. If they want you, they want you. If they don't, they will find a reason to DQ you. There are many candidates that didn't even get a call. Hopefully you all took the last test.

Comment

• I also agree with Mike Lewis that if you have any kind of blemish on your record, you may want to look at another career. There are to many people who don't get in trouble that really want the job.
                  Last edited by Clo 49; 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Yes, I do agree that there are those people out there. At the same token all blemishes were disclosed FULLY before this whole process ever began (2009). So all things like this were known about well in advance. If not from 2009 how about in Oct when I was canvassed. All my info was still there on my application they can't tell me they had no clue. No reason to drag people all the way through the process only to stall someone's BI out at the very end and throw it away. So maybe, just maybe if there were some sort of "actual" pre screenings in place it wouldn't take candidates (who have a real shot) years to get threw and those of us who never had a chance would save lots and lots of money, time and aggravation. On top of that all of the NYS tax payers dollars on pointless hours wasted of the investigators and court officers time, evaluations and medical screenings. But hey none of which will ever change. I currently work in a law enforcement field for a state department and see the disfunction ALL day long of poor planning, poor communication, and poor ideas that waste hours and money. Not to mention my current department saw my background during my hiring process and it never halted anything, it wasn't that big of a deal. Again I don't mean to make this a b**** session and sorry if it comes off that way. It just never sat right with me to be told my case wasn't going to get touched while I was right in the middle of the process, but hey continue anyway. I would have liked my case presented to the board for a decision, yes or no. At least I would have know I had a fair shot. On another note my BI was actually very pleasant and very easy to get ahold of during the process. I was told certain times which were best to call and when I did they were there on the other end of the phone.

Comment

• Sorry guys I can understand the disappointment. I had a few scares along the way and I feel lucky to make it. Keep your head up and good luck in whatever else you choose to pursue.

Comment

• Nicholas and Mike Lewis, did somebody physically tell you that you were no longer being considered for admission to the academy?

Comment

• Yes. I was told " I can guarantee you that your not going to get through " unfortunately.

Comment

• Oneshotthrill, thanks and congrats!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nicholas.wathen View Post
                              Yes, I do agree that there are those people out there. At the same token all blemishes were disclosed FULLY before this whole process ever began (2009). So all things like this were known about well in advance. If not from 2009 how about in Oct when I was canvassed. All my info was still there on my application they can't tell me they had no clue. No reason to drag people all the way through the process only to stall someone's BI out at the very end and throw it away. So maybe, just maybe if there were some sort of "actual" pre screenings in place it wouldn't take candidates (who have a real shot) years to get threw and those of us who never had a chance would save lots and lots of money, time and aggravation. On top of that all of the NYS tax payers dollars on pointless hours wasted of the investigators and court officers time, evaluations and medical screenings. But hey none of which will ever change. I currently work in a law enforcement field for a state department and see the disfunction ALL day long of poor planning, poor communication, and poor ideas that waste hours and money. Not to mention my current department saw my background during my hiring process and it never halted anything, it wasn't that big of a deal. Again I don't mean to make this a b**** session and sorry if it comes off that way. It just never sat right with me to be told my case wasn't going to get touched while I was right in the middle of the process, but hey continue anyway. I would have liked my case presented to the board for a decision, yes or no. At least I would have know I had a fair shot. On another note my BI was actually very pleasant and very easy to get ahold of during the process. I was told certain times which were best to call and when I did they were there on the other end of the phone.

I agree nicholas, it's not fair for the BI's to just prolong the process for what seems to be on purpose, to then tell you that your not going to make it. Especially if you are already working with a state law enforcement agency. If they're any discrepencies or are in doubt of anything just take it to the board. That's why there is a board. It's a power thing with some of them. The decision should not be there's to make.

Comment

• You know what, your right. I think I will make a phone call to maybe escalate this or at least ask to have someone look at it. Why just stand idle and let everything I've been working so hard for fall apart. What do I have to lose......Thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6269 users online. 328 members and 5941 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X