Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by homers54321 View Post
    Also, has this ever been done before? Two concurrent academies
    If you look at the graduation photos on the recruitment page, it seems like it happened on three occasions; two classes graduated in Jan. 2010, Nov 2010, and again in Jan. 2014.

Comment

• Does anyone know what happens if mid way thru the process and not finished before the last NYC academy? Do you still continue the process and attend with class from the new list upcoming list?? or once list expires so does your process??

Comment

• When I went through the academy, NYC academy was going on at the same time. It was staggered by 3 weeks. Odd that an academy would start on Thursday but makes sense due to or pay weeks start on Thursday.

Comment

• Thanks for the info Pace, hopefully its true and we will all be in it

Comment

• Originally posted by Ish3000 View Post
            If you look at the graduation photos on the recruitment page, it seems like it happened on three occasions; two classes graduated in Jan. 2010, Nov 2010, and again in Jan. 2014.

It's not uncommon to have an upstate and downstate academy to run concurrently. Our weeks run Thursday to Wednesday so that makes sense also. IF an academy starts in October then graduation would be in January. That seems to make sense since the redeployments (transfers) from downstate to upstate will happen in January.
            http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
            NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Originally posted by PACE View Post
              Rumor alert - heard possible NYC academy October 15th (which is a Thursday?) - Rumor alert
              this doesnt make sense. what happens to those who are still being investigated??? let alone those who just took their physical.

Comment

• This may not be the last class. If the marks are only sent out at the end of September for the last test, OCA may not be ready to process until sometime in the spring.

Comment

• Thanks for the insight, unblindeacon.
                  Hope all is well.

Comment

• Well I’ve been looking at this forum for almost 6-7 Months trying o get all the information I can from Current and retired court officers and New recruits. I’d like to share my experience during this process to those who are curious. I took the test in 2009 and when asked where I would like to work I checked all the boxes (Really didn’t care as long as I got in) anyway fast forward to Nov 2014 I finally received a letter stating that I have been selected to start the process for the 6th Judicial district. I immediately replied YES next day with an email and replying by mail. Another 3 months went by and I finally heard back from them stating that I will begin the process with a pre-medical exam. I was so excited! So leading up to the medical I was only really concerned with my weight since my wife was pregnant I was getting those dad cravings so I put on a little weight but I was able to shave off the pounds I needed to meet the requirement. When I took the pre-med they made me wait in a room with other candidates for about half an hour (Really tight room) Be sure to take an extra copy of your ID with you! Anyway Finally started doing the pre-med stuff and they Weight you, check your height , see if your color blind and test your vision. I absolutely flunked the vision test. After failing I was told to go see an eye doctor and once I did I was retake the eye exam. After visiting my eye doctor they ensured me that I was fine and met the requirements . I rearranged the test and failed it again (by 1 point I believe) I was furious explaining that I went to an eye doctor and they ensured me I was fine. Another one of the woman heard me and retook my eye exam and told me I passed. After this I received an invite to take another medical exam, this one would be a little bit more intensive. So the location for the next exam was a few blocks away from work so I decided to go on my lunch break, boy was that a mistake. The place was packed and the person who was in charge of handing out invites for the next step in the process was about 3 hours late. In this exam you have to take a Urine test, Hearing test, Breathing test, Eye test and a weight in. Everything went smooth up until the eye exam part which I failed again. I was honestly ready to call it quits since I thought it was ridiculous that I was told to visit an eye doctor again. I was told I can take the eye test again but for Now I was on hold in the process. I received an invite to take the PAT test in upstate NY. After considering my options I finally made the decision to get Lasik Eye surgery which has been a life changer. Anywho I drove upstate for the PAT test which Honestly I was really preparing myself for. The incite stated to be there at 9am. I entered the door at 9:01 and was greeted with a your late by another officer which was understandable and inexcusable so I just stood shut and kept it moving. We waiting for about an hour and were given instructions on how the day would start. My first test was the step test which looked harder than I imagined but pretty easy (You get to choose which legs to use at anytime so I did 3 steps with one and 3 with the other) After this your given a heart rate monitor to measure your heart rate. My next test was an arm odometer which was easy as well (Just choose your own pace) The next was an arm lift which was pretty hard being that the thing your pulling up doesn’t move. (Just cables that measure the pressure) same as the leg lift) The next was a stationary bike which was pretty easy as well. Next was the sit-ups which to my surprise I did 42 in a minute (I’m not fit). They don’t tell you what a passing number is so just be sure to keep going as long as you can. I did 25 and took a 7 second break since I hadn’t reach the half way mark yet. The next thing was the Gun steadiness test which was hard since your exhausted from all of the exercises. Last but not least Was the pull up trainer. They place you on a pull up bench and you have to complete 5. After you complete 5 they raise the bench about 2 feet vertically and you have to complete 5 more and so on. I did my first 5 with ease. My next level was so complicated I got exhausted. After completing 4 with no problem. When I tried to do the 5th one I was told I did go high enough so I tried again and was told the same thing. I did about 15 before I gave up and was confused as to how much higher I could have went. I thought I flunked the entire PAT. So after I finished they put everyone in a room and start calling on names little by little. A lot of people failed and When my name was called I was sure I failed as well. I passed my PAT! The next step was the background investigation which in pretty straight forward. They needed some additional documents so I Emailed them the next day. I received an invite for the written psychological test and BOY is that thing long. The questions are repetitive to see if you change your answers. I finished in about 2 hours or less. Right now I’m waiting for the oral part of the test and hopefully the interview. Its august 20th and I was told a new class would start on the 8th of sept so I’m a but anxious. I have a few questions.

For the court officers who have gone through the process.
                    What was the latest you were accepted into the academy? 1,2 weeks before the start date? I ask because I wouldn’t want to leave my Job with 2-3 days notice

What was the academy life like? I know that they allow you to stay in a hotel down the road but what’s that like?

For anyone else going through the process did you take your psychological test in July? What’s your status?

Thanks for reading! I tried to give as much insight as possible!

-M

Comment

• I am taking my pat again tomorrow as my previous pat expired on august 19

Comment

• Originally posted by CO HOPEFUL View Post
                        I am taking my pat again tomorrow as my previous pat expired on august 19
                        What's up CO Hopeful. Can you PM me?

Comment

• For the court officers who have gone through the process.
                          What was the latest you were accepted into the academy? 1,2 weeks before the start date? I ask because I wouldn’t want to leave my Job with 2-3 days notice

In answer to that question, I was in the July 2014 class. It started on Monday July 14th. I got my appointment On Friday July 11th at 11 in the morning. I gave my job 4 hours notice. I worked for a large company and showed my manager the letter as soon as I had it emailed to me. It couldn't be helped.

Comment

• I know the site shows the scores they have called off the old exam but nowadays is it pretty much impossible to get on this job unless u score High?... How many do they realistically plan to hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by New Job View Post
                              For the court officers who have gone through the process.

In answer to that question, I was in the July 2014 class. It started on Monday July 14th. I got my appointment On Friday July 11th at 11 in the morning. I gave my job 4 hours notice. I worked for a large company and showed my manager the letter as soon as I had it emailed to me. It couldn't be helped.
                              You got your appointment to the academy letter on the 11th?

Comment

• You might as well throw "2 week notification" right out of the equation. You will be lucky to give a 2 day notice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8696 users online. 371 members and 8325 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X