300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nyscourt1986 View Post
    Please be advised that an upstate recruit class will commence on September 8, 2015. This will be the last upstate class from List #45-758.

This was sent to me via Email. I don't know anything about the NYC class. Which is why i said for those upstate recruits.
    Sounds like good news for all upstate applicants, good luck! Hopefully us NYC guys hear something soon...the pressure is really on now.

Comment

• I took the PAT in april and passed everything except the heart rate. I have to retake it after july 24. the letter told me my heart rate had to be 164 or below after 30 seconds. They told me mine was at 179.

Comment

• Anyone who took the PAT in downtown manhattan in april have to retake the step test? I was just curious if they are allowed to record your heart rate the second you are done with the test instead of waiting 30 seconds? I have been working very hard in getting my heart rate down and have been doing the test myself. My heart rate is below 164 before 30 seconds but I am afraid that they will record my heart rate right away. It says on the site that they can modify the test at any time. Im supposed to get a notification either on the 24 or earlier on when to retake the step test.

Comment

• For someone trying to get their heart rate down I highly recommend buying the "Training Mask 2.0" which is a high altitude simulating mask... U can adjust it from 3,000 feet to about 19,000feet .. It really helps learn how to control your breathing and it forces oxygen in your lungs .. Even after a couple of uses you'll notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• People having trouble with the step test:

I failed this as well before I got OTJ. All you need to do is run. Seriously.

I went out and bought a heart rate monitor and started running 3-4 times per week. You'll improve your cardio health, recovery rate and lose a few pounds in the process. AND you'll be ready to take on the runs in the academy when the time comes.

Don't be so concerned with practicing stepping up onto a box and get your cardio under control.

@Frank they give you the heart monitors right after you sit down but they don't record the numbers until the 30 seconds is up

Comment

• The whole key to passing the step test is not being stressed when you take it . You have to step in a controlled manner and don't exert to much energy when doing this task and your heart rate will be fine

Comment

• Want another tidbit for the step test? Take deep breaths. That's it. You just have to remember to take deep breaths and to keep telling yourself to take deep breaths because your natural reaction after stepping for 5 minutes straight is to take a billion small breaths. You don't need to buy, and shouldn't have to buy anything to help you do that. There aren't any fancy tricks. It's breathing. You should know how to do that because you do it all the time. You just have to always keep it in your head, and even tell yourself, to take those deep breaths. If you want to run, or even take the stairs 2 steps at a time to force yourself into breathing heavy, go right ahead, but just remember to take deep breaths because that's how you lower your heart rate. Take a long, deep breath in through your nose, and exhale slowly out your mouth.

Those of you from the new list coming out lucky enough to go through the process, I actually suggest you start working out. AFAIK the current PAT is on its way out. The July '14 class and the last upstate class went through a trial to set the new PAT and it was... something. Pushups, sit-ups, arm/leg lifts, plank, arm endurance, a variation of the arm/hand steadiness, trigger pull endurance test, a 1.5 mile run, and various runs/sprints. Not to say everything that was tested is going to be on the new PAT, but who knows. They might even keep things the way they are. I'd bet on there being a new PAT.

As for the final class from the current list (downstate academy), it's happening in Oct. Haven't heard a date, but I'd expect it to be the day after Columbus Day.

Comment

• Does any one know if your able to have another employment while being an appointed court officer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ish3000 View Post
                    Does any one know if your able to have another employment while being an appointed court officer?
                    Yes you can. Without much detail, any armed security position requires notification by filling out a form. If I'm not mistaken (feel free to correct me), this can be approved/denied. Any other job that doesn't require the use of a firearm requires no notification; you can just start working. Ex: Armed security guard at the Empire State Building requires the form. Starting Center for the Knicks doesn't. Minimal, basic answer so maybe someone else can chime in with more detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZR0 Limit View Post
                      Yes you can. Without much detail, any armed security position requires notification by filling out a form. If I'm not mistaken (feel free to correct me), this can be approved/denied. Any other job that doesn't require the use of a firearm requires no notification; you can just start working. Ex: Armed security guard at the Empire State Building requires the form. Starting Center for the Knicks doesn't. Minimal, basic answer so maybe someone else can chime in with more detail.
                      Your answer was sufficient/helpful enough, thank you zro limit.

Comment

• L
                        Originally posted by ZR0 Limit View Post
                        Any security gig, armed or unarmed, needs prior approval

Comment

• I have a quick question for some senior guys maybe will some Union knowledge... I've been on since March 14, I came from another state agency so I came over with prior state time and an adjusted salary... While in the academy I got a step in April of 14, now I'm trying to figure out in March when I get bumped up to grade 18 from 16 William receive a full step or a partial step to get me equal with the next step in grade 18 THEN in April will I also get another full grade 18 step as I got a full step in 2014 while I was in the academy? Or is there a minimum amount of days that I need to be in grade 18 before I get my next step? Hope to hear back soon. Thanks!

Comment

• I believe you will get the first step on line 18. If that step is lower than what your making now (b/c you transferred salary) then you will go to the next lowest step that is equal or just above what your were making. Then bump in April. I would call the union anyways... Or speak to your Delegate.
                            http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                            NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• For what it's worth to those waiting.

https://www.nycourts.gov/careers/statewide/1523.pdf
                              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• The recruitment website has updated from stating scores for exam 45-784 will be emailed by the fall to "exam results will be emailed by October 1st". Also, was told by a friend who's a court officer that there will indeed be one last academy for NYC sometime in October/November, for list number 45-758.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9990 users online. 344 members and 9646 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X