Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up guys? I'm just jumping in on here, you guys are talking about the exam from a few years ago right?

Comment

• Law and order... Turn on your PM
      http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
      NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• They are going through the process from the 2009 test. The results from the latest test aren't out yet...but should come out within the next 3 months or so.
        http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
        NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Unblindeacon... just turned it on.

Comment

• Anyone from down state attend the upstate academy? If so....could you tell me EVERYTHING about it lol?

Hours?
            Hotel or dorm?
            Per diem?
            Transportation? (Is a state vehicle provided?)
            Running? Indoors/outdoors/track/street?
            Facility?
            Academy after hours?
            Meals?
            If it's already been covered in this thread could someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by PACE View Post
              Anyone from down state attend the upstate academy? If so....could you tell me EVERYTHING about it lol?

Hours?
              Hotel or dorm?
              Per diem?
              Facility?
              Academy after hours?
              Meals?
              If it's already been covered in this thread could someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
              Yea im curious as well...can anyone shed some knowledge?

Comment

Anyone from down state attend the upstate academy? If so....could you tell me EVERYTHING about it lol?

Hours?
                Hotel or dorm?
                Per diem?
                Facility?
                Academy after hours?
                Meals?
                Hours are 9-5. They'll let you in just after 8 but they expect you ready to go at 9.

Hotel with a 9:30 curfew. If you're lucky you'll be at the Comfort Inn which is a half mile out (it's the best of the bunch). The only con is that there's not much around in terms of food, etc. The other hotels are closer to Albany but have more around them. Your stay is Sunday check-in to Friday check-out. You can go home during the weekends and holidays but you're expected to be back the night before classes start up unless you're brave enough to come in Monday morning. So if a holiday falls on a Thursday, you're free to go home Wednesday night but expected back Thursday night on the holiday. If you decide to stay in the area on a holiday/weekend, it's on your own dime. That might be a bit confusing.

Per diem? LOL, ok. Everything but the hotel stay is out of pocket. You'll easily spend ~$2k on your academy gear + uniforms. Keep track of your expenses and claim them on your taxes.

Transportation is on you. Buddy up and carpool everywhere whenever and wherever you can.

Running is literally outside the academy in a small retirement community. 3 laps (1.5 miles exact) around with an uphill section. They'll run you in all types of weather, but they'll be conscious of the situation outside and plan accordingly. You'll still run when it's -8 degrees though. Depending on what's going on, and very unlikely, they may have you run at Sienna College in a small indoor track.

Facility is on the bottom floor of a medical facility. There's a classroom where you'll be doing everything, and a break room with the locker rooms attached. It's small, cramped, and may not even be finished renovating but they're slowly making progress. Someone might want to bring a microwave and a coffee maker. I don't remember them saying if they'll provide one.

Academy after hours is relegated to remedial PT classes only. Once class ends, head back to the hotel, work out, study, get to know your new family (you have to really rely on each other all the time there especially since you're not home), go out to eat, etc. There's a tiny bit more to the "after hours" but it's not something I recommend and something you shouldn't be doing.

Meals are on your own. You can go out during meal break, but give yourself time to come back and change. Meals in general - you might want to get a cheap cooler fill it with ice and pack food for the week (lunch + dinner). Remember, everything is out of pocket for those 14 weeks. You'll save a lot by prepping meals during the weekend and hauling it up. Or you can go to the closest Wal-Mart/Target in the area and buy things like lunch meats, bread, peanut butter, etc.

I could go into more detail but that info should suffice for now. Next class is in September upstate. That should be optimal conditions for runs and shooting at the outdoor range.

Comment

• Awesome info ZRO....exactly was I was looking for, appreciate it.

Do they let you out early on Fridays for the return trip home? Also...is PT the same as downstate? I was told push-ups, sit-ups, mountain climbers - 3 sets of 15(ish) reps, three times per week and run 1.5, two times per week. Does that sound about right?

One more thing....dress code? Suit and tie to and from the academy everyday?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZR0 Limit View Post
                    Hours are 9-5. They'll let you in just after 8 but they expect you ready to go at 9.

Hotel with a 9:30 curfew. If you're lucky you'll be at the Comfort Inn which is a half mile out (it's the best of the bunch). The only con is that there's not much around in terms of food, etc. The other hotels are closer to Albany but have more around them. Your stay is Sunday check-in to Friday check-out. You can go home during the weekends and holidays but you're expected to be back the night before classes start up unless you're brave enough to come in Monday morning. So if a holiday falls on a Thursday, you're free to go home Wednesday night but expected back Thursday night on the holiday. If you decide to stay in the area on a holiday/weekend, it's on your own dime. That might be a bit confusing.

Per diem? LOL, ok. Everything but the hotel stay is out of pocket. You'll easily spend ~$2k on your academy gear + uniforms. Keep track of your expenses and claim them on your taxes.

Transportation is on you. Buddy up and carpool everywhere whenever and wherever you can.

Running is literally outside the academy in a small retirement community. 3 laps (1.5 miles exact) around with an uphill section. They'll run you in all types of weather, but they'll be conscious of the situation outside and plan accordingly. You'll still run when it's -8 degrees though. Depending on what's going on, and very unlikely, they may have you run at Sienna College in a small indoor track.

Facility is on the bottom floor of a medical facility. There's a classroom where you'll be doing everything, and a break room with the locker rooms attached. It's small, cramped, and may not even be finished renovating but they're slowly making progress. Someone might want to bring a microwave and a coffee maker. I don't remember them saying if they'll provide one.

Academy after hours is relegated to remedial PT classes only. Once class ends, head back to the hotel, work out, study, get to know your new family (you have to really rely on each other all the time there especially since you're not home), go out to eat, etc. There's a tiny bit more to the "after hours" but it's not something I recommend and something you shouldn't be doing.

Meals are on your own. You can go out during meal break, but give yourself time to come back and change. Meals in general - you might want to get a cheap cooler fill it with ice and pack food for the week (lunch + dinner). Remember, everything is out of pocket for those 14 weeks. You'll save a lot by prepping meals during the weekend and hauling it up. Or you can go to the closest Wal-Mart/Target in the area and buy things like lunch meats, bread, peanut butter, etc.

I could go into more detail but that info should suffice for now. Next class is in September upstate. That should be optimal conditions for runs and shooting at the outdoor range.
                    Thanks so much ZRO...thats really informative. One question though...what happens if you dont have 2k to buy the uniforms and equipment? Ya know..if youre short on cash?

Comment

Awesome info ZRO....exactly was I was looking for, appreciate it.

Do they let you out early on Fridays for the return trip home? Also...is PT the same as downstate? I was told push-ups, sit-ups, mountain climbers - 3 sets of 15(ish) reps, three times per week and run 1.5, two times per week. Does that sound about right?

One more thing....dress code? Suit and tie to and from the academy everyday?
                      Generally there's no early leave. You're there until 5 every day. It's not the rule, but if they're feeling extremely generous they'll let you out relatively early the day before a holiday, and if the weather becomes absolutely disgusting (blizzard). You've got 4 holidays between October and November so you might have early leave then. PT is standard across the board. Frequency of PT should be 3 sessions and 2 runs/week, but it really depends. Things change daily. They'll start at 3 sets of 10 and increase from there. Everything is at their discretion so if they want to make you do sets of 20 they'll make you do sets of 20. You'll probably do sets of 20 without even realizing it anyway because one person will drop and you'll have to start over. And as for dress code, business attire all the time, to and from. Once you get your uniforms you'll change into that at the beginning and then back into business attire when you leave. This is a job, you're to look/act/be professional at ALL times.
                      Last edited by ZR0 Limit; 06-09-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneShotThrill View Post
                        Thanks so much ZRO...thats really informative. One question though...what happens if you dont have 2k to buy the uniforms and equipment? Ya know..if youre short on cash?
                        Start saving. Just short of stealing you better beg and borrow that money. But I'll clarify... It's not 2k all at once, it's ~2k (maybe more now that I think of it) overall. The first 2 things you'll need to buy are your recruit bag (day 1) and leather goods/uniform shirts (within the week, but it's a buy now, receive later thing). The Class A uniform and daily uniform pants will be a little later on so you'll have a little leeway with that. But have that money ready to go. If you're lucky and get through the process, someone from OCA will call and let you know how much to have one day 1, along with any other pertinent info. The instructors will give you info on buying the uniforms when that time comes.

In short - start. saving. now.

Comment

• Thank You all for your super helpful info.

Comment

• Looking for opinions on what my chances are for making the next academy (assuming smooth sailing with process).

S/W my investigator a few weeks back....basically my investigation is all but wrapped up. He was waiting for 1 previous employer response. Still haven't had my oral psych or final pre-hire mini-med. List number under 5500.

Thinking I have a pretty good shot but really don't want to get my hopes too high.

BTW.... Regarding the upstate academy. 3 laps around a retirement community....at 46 years old, I can just hear the jokes already.

Comment

• Thanks for all the infor this has been great!! I'm getting my eyes retested soon and I already passed my PAT and had my first interview with my background investigator i recently had LASIK and I know I can pass it now. So saying everything goes well and I get into the next academy in September or whenever it is, I'm having a baby due in November, would they let me leave for the birth of my child or would I have to stay there?

Comment

Looking for opinions on what my chances are for making the next academy (assuming smooth sailing with process).

Thinking I have a pretty good shot but really don't want to get my hopes too high.

BTW.... Regarding the upstate academy. 3 laps around a retirement community....at 46 years old, I can just hear the jokes already.
                                You have to go through this process with no expectations. Take it step by step. The worst part about the entire thing, IMHO, is knowing that you're at the end, finished with everything, and still waiting. You still have a couple of things left to do, but you never know if something comes up and delays your process. I know you and everyone else going through this is anxious as all hell, but just relax and let it all play out.

And don't worry about the jokes. No one will be laughing when they're dying trying to finish the run. When you're running (whether it's a group or assessment/timed run), you're not even thinking about where you're at, you're just trying to get to the finish. The oldest person in the last upstate class was 57. No one made jokes. Breaks, and outside of work? Fair game!

Originally posted by Pdib View Post
                                So saying everything goes well and I get into the next academy in September or whenever it is, I'm having a baby due in November, would they let me leave for the birth of my child or would I have to stay there?
                                That's tough. AFAIK, the answer you're going to get is that you'll be staying. There are no personal days off. How it's told is that the only way you'll be excused is if you're on the verge of death and absolutely can't make it because you're in hospice care. And even then, you should still show up to class. But in your circumstance, talk to the instructors and find out what the next course of action will be for something like this is. You won't know until you ask and communication is absolutely key.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7766 users online. 369 members and 7397 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X