300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OneShotThrill View Post
    It was just uncomfortable to know someone is poking at you and you really dont have a clue if what your saying is good or not...its much more personal than a job interview. Job interviews you can give some pretty vague answers and prerehearsed crap. Ya know basically sell yourself but this... some of the things they asked I had to get a little more intimate. They also ask you about some of answers from the written psych. Kind of digging into your mind and reasoning. I just hope Im found fit for the job. Ive poured everything into geting this.
    First off, I wouldn't read too deep into it, OneShotThrill. I felt the exact same way when I met with the psychologist. I was grilled for about 40 to 45 minutes about everything from drug use to what the occupations of my girlfriend's siblings were. After what seemed like an eternity, it was over, just like that. No indication, one way or the other. Just an abrupt end, with him stating that OCA would contact me. It really is a combination of who the psychologist is, how you answered on the psychological exam and your background investigation. During the academy and after I got out, I found out through talking with fellow officers that a lot of them were in and out in 5 to 10 minutes. Keep your head up and don't get stressed out over things that are out of your control. If they didn't like your answers with the psychologist, they might also send you to a psychiatrist. You gave great advice about the step test, too. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Relax, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. The better physical shape you're in, the easier every step will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by HopeFloats View Post
      Was it in an office in Manhattan, or are they still using somebody's apartment in the Bronx?
      I took it upstate in Albany in an office Hope

Comment

• Originally posted by NYS Court Officers View Post
        First off, I wouldn't read too deep into it, OneShotThrill. I felt the exact same way when I met with the psychologist. I was grilled for about 40 to 45 minutes about everything from drug use to what the occupations of my girlfriend's siblings were. After what seemed like an eternity, it was over, just like that. No indication, one way or the other. Just an abrupt end, with him stating that OCA would contact me. It really is a combination of who the psychologist is, how you answered on the psychological exam and your background investigation. During the academy and after I got out, I found out through talking with fellow officers that a lot of them were in and out in 5 to 10 minutes. Keep your head up and don't get stressed out over things that are out of your control. If they didn't like your answers with the psychologist, they might also send you to a psychiatrist. You gave great advice about the step test, too. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Relax, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. The better physical shape you're in, the easier every step will be.
        Thanks brother im just trying to stay positive..ill take your advice and keep cool

Comment

• I was just curious on how many step we are suppose to do in 5 mins on the step test?

Comment

• Originally posted by ohsnapj View Post
            I was just curious on how many step we are suppose to do in 5 mins on the step test?
            It dosent matter..no one is counting the steps. You have to step in rythm with a metronome. What you have to do is get your heart beat down to an acceptable rate about 30 seconds after the 5 minutes are up. And please stay in rythm! if you start to get out of rythm too much they will sit you down. Thats why I say work on your breathing. Stay calm. Bring a water bottle and stay well hydrated.

Comment

No problem DBL ask away im willing to help you guys the same way many others helped me without even being a member . Now as for the situps..We were told to sit down on a basic blue gym mat, knees bent, arms folded palms touching the opposite sholder. The court officer instructors would either hold your feet down with their hands or their knees. You have 1 minute to do as many as you can.
              Now dont freak out if you arent very good at sit ups. At least not yet. The PAT is an accumulative test. They add up the score of all the exercises to see if you passed at the end. So if you suck at one thing you had better bust your *** on the rest of the stuff. They wont even tell you how many situps you did and I advise you not to count. BREATHE!! and concetrate on the next one.
              The arm steadiness test sucks...straight up. To me it was the most difficult because depending on the order they put you in it might be towards the end of the test and your arms are alreading burning. You have to hold the glock replica with a metal extension out of the muzzle straight out in front you in a damn bullseye on a dart board for 30 seconds....TWICE. If you hit the sides your score drops. Its pretty tough when nerves, adrenaline, and fatigue are against you.
              You're awesome for your reply and the posts following this response that you wrote. Thanks for the advice, you've for sure motivated me and I hope others to kick it into high gear for this PAT. Wish you the best throughout all of this. By what I've read, you seem to be well on your way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbl_R_26 View Post
                You're awesome for your reply and the posts following this response that you wrote. Thanks for the advice, you've for sure motivated me and I hope others to kick it into high gear for this PAT. Wish you the best throughout all of this. By what I've read, you seem to be well on your way.
                Thanks alot DBL . Stay motivated and stay focused. It seems like this is a great job and hopefully theres room for all of us there. Good luck on your PAT and the rest of your process. Any other questions ask here on the forum or PM me.

Comment

It dosent matter..no one is counting the steps. You have to step in rythm with a metronome. What you have to do is get your heart beat down to an acceptable rate about 30 seconds after the 5 minutes are up. And please stay in rythm! if you start to get out of rythm too much they will sit you down. Thats why I say work on your breathing. Stay calm. Bring a water bottle and stay well hydrated.
                  Thanks for the reply.
                  I just finished my full medical and got the OK for the PAT. Hitting the gym and been working on my breathing.

Comment

• Hey everyone,

I was told that there is still no tattoo policy currently. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks so much

Comment

• Originally posted by Guava85 View Post
                      Hey everyone,

I was told that there is still no tattoo policy currently. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks so much
                      That's false! One of the instructors has full sleeves, one of the guys in my class did too!

Comment

• Okay, thanks so much for the response!

Comment

• Originally posted by Guava85 View Post
                          Okay, thanks so much for the response!
                          There is no formal tattoo policy, however you will have to document what you have.
                          http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                          NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Thanks for the info, unblindeacon.

Finally received my premed appointment packet! Excited to get the process started, hopefully they get another class in there.

Comment

• Got my premed packet as well! Going on the 22nd! Totally pumped!

Comment

• Great news!

This part goes pretty steadily, wait till the backgrounds start, that's when the torture of waiting begins, or maybe not, each case is different.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7245 users online. 374 members and 6871 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X