300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OneShotThrill View Post
    Hey wats up guys Ive been lurking here for a while and reading this board but this is my first official post. I started this whole process last March when I first got the canvass letter. I had my pre med last June. Full Med in August. Failed the vision. Went and got Lasik. Passed the retest. Took and passed the the PAT and took the written Psych in the same day in December. Started my background investigation not even a week later. Finished my background in February. Then finally had my psych interview yesterday. Im just waitin to see if Im eligible for the next step. I see alot of guys asking questions about this expedited process that seems to be taking place the last few months so if you have any questions about what to expect please ask away..
    Hey Thrill,

Congrats on your process thus far. I'm currently scheduled for the PAT in about 2 weeks and was wondering how the sit up test was administered. Were both of your feet flat on the floor held by a partner, with your knees bent ? Sorry to sound so specific but I'm using the Cooper Fitness Standards as a guideline as to how many I should aim for in one minute based upon my age but since practicing crunches in that position, I am not hitting the number I'd like fast enough (although I am in the gym consistently). Also, for how long did you have to hold the replica firearm in the steadiness test? Thanks in advance, much appreciated for your time.

Comment

• If you're called for say, Suffolk County, is there a possibility that you'll be placed in the upstate academy? I'm slightly concerned about the commute to even the city academy, but that's more doable for me. By concerned I mean I'm going to make the commute if I have to crawl there, but if I could move out there or should that would be ideal. I live really far out on the island so I didn't know if they offered housing or if some people find temporary housing?

Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm definitely willing to make the commute it would just be a nightmare so I'm considering options lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Jt4791 View Post
        If you're called for say, Suffolk County, is there a possibility that you'll be placed in the upstate academy? I'm slightly concerned about the commute to even the city academy, but that's more doable for me. By concerned I mean I'm going to make the commute if I have to crawl there, but if I could move out there or should that would be ideal. I live really far out on the island so I didn't know if they offered housing or if some people find temporary housing?

I'm definitely willing to make the commute it would just be a nightmare so I'm considering options lol
        How far out... Im exit 63 of the LIE

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbl_R_26 View Post
          Hey Thrill,

Congrats on your process thus far. I'm currently scheduled for the PAT in about 2 weeks and was wondering how the sit up test was administered. Were both of your feet flat on the floor held by a partner, with your knees bent ? Sorry to sound so specific but I'm using the Cooper Fitness Standards as a guideline as to how many I should aim for in one minute based upon my age but since practicing crunches in that position, I am not hitting the number I'd like fast enough (although I am in the gym consistently). Also, for how long did you have to hold the replica firearm in the steadiness test? Thanks in advance, much appreciated for your time.
          No problem DBL ask away im willing to help you guys the same way many others helped me without even being a member . Now as for the situps..We were told to sit down on a basic blue gym mat, knees bent, arms folded palms touching the opposite sholder. The court officer instructors would either hold your feet down with their hands or their knees. You have 1 minute to do as many as you can.
          Now dont freak out if you arent very good at sit ups. At least not yet. The PAT is an accumulative test. They add up the score of all the exercises to see if you passed at the end. So if you suck at one thing you had better bust your *** on the rest of the stuff. They wont even tell you how many situps you did and I advise you not to count. BREATHE!! and concetrate on the next one.
          The arm steadiness test sucks...straight up. To me it was the most difficult because depending on the order they put you in it might be towards the end of the test and your arms are alreading burning. You have to hold the glock replica with a metal extension out of the muzzle straight out in front you in a damn bullseye on a dart board for 30 seconds....TWICE. If you hit the sides your score drops. Its pretty tough when nerves, adrenaline, and fatigue are against you.

Comment

If you're called for say, Suffolk County, is there a possibility that you'll be placed in the upstate academy? I'm slightly concerned about the commute to even the city academy, but that's more doable for me. By concerned I mean I'm going to make the commute if I have to crawl there, but if I could move out there or should that would be ideal. I live really far out on the island so I didn't know if they offered housing or if some people find temporary housing?

Like others have stated OCA does want they want but chances are theyll place you in a city academy. I live in the 5 boroughs was ready for my psych in early Feb and they deliberately skipped me over for the city academy because im canvassed for JD6 upstate and they held me off for the next upstate academy. It was slightly crushing because I was full blown ready to start and my BI told me I should get in the Feb academy. I guess they want you to go to the academy most close to your assigned JD. I kinda hate my job so it hurt but here I am waiting some more.

Comment

• Anyone waiting for the PAT...workout..workout...WORKOUT! Workout like you were goddamn Rocky getting ready for Apollo Creed. Eat right. Change your diet. DONT DRINK COFFEE BEFORE THE PAT! Work on your pushups,pullups (not chin ups) arm curls, deadlifts, situps, (not crunches) jump on a bike machine and put that resistance on high, make sure your cardio is good and you can get your heartbeat back under control quickly. Remember to breathe! In through your nose out your mouth..I cant stress how many people failed this PAT in my group. Many people show up completely out of shape. You can see their eyes get wide with panic when we got to the work stations. They broke us up in groups of 5, out of every group maybe only 2 or 3 people made it through. I wanna say about 35 -40% of the people who took it failed.

Comment

• Originally posted by gotti109 View Post
                How far out... Im exit 63 of the LIE
                I'm like 15-20 min off of exit 70 on the LIE. I'm concerned that traffic is going to be a NIGHTMARE! I sound like a baby, but I already commute forty minutes to work and know that depending on the time I leave it turns into at least an hour-hour and a half. The more sleep I can get before working out like a crazy person the better haha.

Comment

I'm like 15-20 min off of exit 70 on the LIE. I'm concerned that traffic is going to be a NIGHTMARE! I sound like a baby, but I already commute forty minutes to work and know that depending on the time I leave it turns into at least an hour-hour and a half. The more sleep I can get before working out like a crazy person the better haha.
                  Im currently a bus driver for mta in queens. I know 15+ ppl who live out here and commute every day for 10-30 years..... Its a sacrifice but doable.... I just bought a house and closing on april so i will be commuting far too

Comment

• Plenty of people from my class lived that far out and drove to ronkonkoma to take the 6:24 train in. If you want it, you'll suck it up for the commute. Especially if you get called for Suffolk, since they hire so few and the academy is only a few months. Those people still commute to the city for work, some in the Bronx.

Comment

Yea lets hope brother but honestly im pretty nervous about the psych interview results...to me it was the worst part of this long process
                      Hello OneShotThrill, let me ask you, since i havent gotten there, what was so bad about the psych?

Comment

• Originally posted by HopeFloats View Post
                        Hello OneShotThrill, let me ask you, since i havent gotten there, what was so bad about the psych?
                        It was just uncomfortable to know someone is poking at you and you really dont have a clue if what your saying is good or not...its much more personal than a job interview. Job interviews you can give some pretty vague answers and prerehearsed crap. Ya know basically sell yourself but this... some of the things they asked I had to get a little more intimate. They also ask you about some of answers from the written psych. Kind of digging into your mind and reasoning. I just hope Im found fit for the job. Ive poured everything into geting this.

Comment

• Wow! I'm surprised they got so personal, from everything I've read here, it seemed pretty quick and easy for some, almost like; "do you love your mom, yes, ok have a nice day".

Comment

• Originally posted by HopeFloats View Post
                            Wow! I'm surprised they got so personal, from everything I've read here, it seemed pretty quick and easy for some, almost like; "do you love your mom, yes, ok have a nice day".
                            Idk about anyone else but mine was more like..whats your biggest regret in life? What would you say is your biggest challege you face?

Comment

Idk about anyone else but mine was more like..whats your biggest regret in life? What would you say is your biggest challege you face?
                              Was it in an office in Manhattan, or are they still using somebody's apartment in the Bronx?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
                                Plenty of people from my class lived that far out and drove to ronkonkoma to take the 6:24 train in. If you want it, you'll suck it up for the commute. Especially if you get called for Suffolk, since they hire so few and the academy is only a few months. Those people still commute to the city for work, some in the Bronx.

Yeah I'm def gonna suck it up Thanks for the feedback and advice! I'm used to long commutes and going all day, just not the physical exhaustion on top of it haha.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9668 users online. 477 members and 9191 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X