300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TP3 View Post
    i am in the same boat, i originally chose only the 9th district but changed to statewide once i got the low score of 81.XX which put me at 14,XXX, if i do get called i will probably take it and transfer back downstate if i ever got the chance.

Does any current court officer know how transfers work?

I am also scheduled to take the court assistant exam this saturday the 23rd, so i am really looking forward to do better
    Quick question! I was interested in updating my location preferences. How do I go about that?

When I took the test, I only marked NYC/Suffolk/Nassau, but now I'm interested in upstate as well.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by mttde View Post
      Quick question! I was interested in updating my location preferences. How do I go about that?

When I took the test, I only marked NYC/Suffolk/Nassau, but now I'm interested in upstate as well.

Thanks!
      Go to the official court officer website to get the email, from there just email them letting them know which jurisdictions you want to add to your location preference

Comment

• Originally posted by Mtn29 View Post
        MP...congrats on the news! wishing you lots of good health.

Good news for me with your score/rank...Im #19XX/91.7.
        no letter yet, here though! maybe I just missed the first wave.

walked the plank and selected suffolk only....one in a mill. I suppose!

still, good to know theyre moving around on the list already!

Comment

Suffolk county reached almost 3,000 in rank last time around so you should be fine. I can't believe Nassau only reached around 300!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
            Suffolk county reached almost 3,000 in rank last time around so you should be fine. I can't believe Nassau only reached around 300!!

sounds about right! I took the prep course for both the court officer trainee/court assistant with the same review company....the proctors are senior court clerks in kings/queens counties...they said it'd be close to impossible to get into queens/nassau, a little less difficult for brooklyn/nyc/suffolk and best were upstate (Long islander her, so everything above manhattan is upstate to me!)

Comment

sounds about right! I took the prep course for both the court officer trainee/court assistant with the same review company....the proctors are senior court clerks in kings/queens counties...they said it'd be close to impossible to get into queens/nassau, a little less difficult for brooklyn/nyc/suffolk and best were upstate (Long islander her, so everything above manhattan is upstate to me!)
              I have been studying with the NLC Passbook for the Court Assistant and used the same author for the CO exam (which I did well but did not ACE). I know the exams are HUGE on vocabulary, grammar, etc etc (most of which we get away from once we're out of school). Any tips you can pass along that you learned from the prep course that may be helpful besides the content itself? I take the CA exam tomorrow afternoon and I am pretty excited.

Comment

• As do I, best of luck to you!

Honestly, and I hope this doesnt discourage you....they had those of us who bought that book, or any book from online/bookstore, throw it away.

The most valuable thing I walked away from that class with was HOW to take the test. Just keep everything in context and read from top to bottm on every page...they pull the old switcheroo with directions, and theyre very subtle with it too.

what was your score for the trainee?

Comment

from what i remember when i took the test their was an asterisk next to nassau/suffolk. If you read the small print it said that nassau and suffolk most likely wouldnt be hiring much from this list. if you only put JD 10 then your probably looking at a 3-4yr wait and with your score you shouldn't have to wait that long. In my opinion you should add NYC therefore when they send out their next round of letters your sure to receive one. Then again it depends on how bad you want the job and how far your willing to travel.

Comment

As do I, best of luck to you!

Honestly, and I hope this doesnt discourage you....they had those of us who bought that book, or any book from online/bookstore, throw it away.

The most valuable thing I walked away from that class with was HOW to take the test. Just keep everything in context and read from top to bottm on every page...they pull the old switcheroo with directions, and theyre very subtle with it too.

what was your score for the trainee?
                    I got an 88.3 on the CO exam. Considering what you just said about the books I guess I held my own.

The funny thing about the NLC book (Court Asst) was I had the older version (1996) from the library and then purchased the updated (2009) version to compare. Found out it was 75% the same questions with a few incorrect answer keys. There is also no explanation of correct answers. So I would suggest this book only as a last resort.

Comment

• is it possible to change your preference of hiring? Maybe I should put a JD that needs people badly!
                      “I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail.”

Comment

• I have a question about how to respond to the canvass letter, if anyone has any advice/knowledge. I am currently finished with the investigation process for SCPD, and waiting (hopefully) for a call for the next class... which is supposedly still going in at the end of November. Now, I just got my canvass letter for the Courts, for the New York district, with the option for accepting that district or declining and remaining on the list for other districts. It seems that if you decline for NYC, you are completely removed from that district list. So... if I accept NYC, and then am fortunate enough to get a call for SCPD in Novemeber, I would notify the Courts and ask for a declination, wanting to keep that as a backup. Would that count as declining NYC, and remove me from that eligibility list completely? Or, is that a special circumstance that would allow me to get back onto the NYC list? I tried calling the Courts, but I haven't received an answer yet, and the response has to be in in a few days. Thanks in advance.

Sorry if that's a confusing post...

Comment

• Look on the back of the gray canvass letter the courts sent you at the bottom. It discusses, "Restoration To the Eligible List." If you begin the screening process and withdraw you will have to write to the Office of Court Administration to have your name restored on that list. Congrats on SCPD. You are quite lucky.

Comment

• Thanks, Kannons.

Comment

• Congrats to those of you that have received the canvass letter ... good job ... I'm feeling a little better about my position now ... I scored 88.3 with a rank of 43XX ... hopefully this list will move quicker than the last one ... just took the court assistant test this morning in Port Jefferson, LI ... similar to CO test with a little more grammar and terminology ... I took the prep course for both tests, definitely helped ... test was tricky though, but I think I did pretty well ... good luck to all !

Comment

• Canvass Letter

Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                                And you selected NYC as a preference?
                                Hi, I scored 93.4 and ranked 14xx. Is it possible to still get a letter (I have not gotten one) when other candidates recieved a letter and their ranking as 18xx with a lower score? I indicated NYC as my preference.
                                Thx

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7354 users online. 303 members and 7051 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X