Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone, first time posting here. I definitely have to thank those who have answered many of the same questions I've also had. Very helpful thread.

Just curious to know if anyone else on here has completed both medicals (pre and full) and is currently awaiting for a PAT date (via phone call, mail, or email)? Thanks in advance and congrats to those who are presently in the academy!
    Last edited by shady; 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• I'm actually in the same boat I took my pre+med the beginning of September and took my full med at the end of September. At the full med I found out I have a heart murmur so the Dr gave me a note to take to my own personal physician to get a echocardiogram and to get cleared for full contact without any restrictions. I completed that and was cleared sent the email with the clearance letter and didn't hear anything back until the end of November saying I that my creatinine levels were high and I needed to get some blood work done and send the results in. This was the first week of December.I had my physician send the results the next day and after calling and emailing I still haven't heard anything back since then and I'm not sure what to do.
      Originally posted by Dbl_R_26 View Post
      Hey everyone, first time posting here. I definitely have to thank those who have answered many of the same questions I've also had. Very helpful thread.

Just curious to know if anyone else on here has completed both medicals (pre and full) and is currently awaiting for a PAT date (via phone call, mail, or email)? Thanks in advance and congrats to those who are presently in the academy!

Comment

• Noble Eagle, if you are asking about the Lasik center location? it was out in LI that i took the full evaluation.

Comment

• To all those who are training to prepare for the academy I would suggest have a set workout out plan that you follow with complete discipline.
          The cooper test standards are an excellent starting point to see the minimal required for your age regarding pushups, sit ups, and the 1.5 run. I am building in increments and running at least 3x a week for 2 to 3 miles. MWF. Also sticking to a sit up and push up routine. My wife just got me the slant decline bench from amazon. Excellent investment. 50$. There are many postings of workout plans on the forum on other threads. The need for discipline is a must. All the best to all present and future candidates.

Comment

• Thank You!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Saint38 View Post
              I'm actually in the same boat I took my pre+med the beginning of September and took my full med at the end of September. At the full med I found out I have a heart murmur so the Dr gave me a note to take to my own personal physician to get a echocardiogram and to get cleared for full contact without any restrictions. I completed that and was cleared sent the email with the clearance letter and didn't hear anything back until the end of November saying I that my creatinine levels were high and I needed to get some blood work done and send the results in. This was the first week of December.I had my physician send the results the next day and after calling and emailing I still haven't heard anything back since then and I'm not sure what to do.
              Hey Saint38, I would definitely continue calling and inquiring info about the status of your application.

Comment

• hey all! folks who are in academy, hows it going? any updates? would love to know!

Comment

• Originally posted by Law-And-Order1 View Post
                  To all those who are training to prepare for the academy I would suggest have a set workout out plan that you follow with complete discipline.
                  The cooper test standards are an excellent starting point to see the minimal required for your age regarding pushups, sit ups, and the 1.5 run. I am building in increments and running at least 3x a week for 2 to 3 miles. MWF. Also sticking to a sit up and push up routine. My wife just got me the slant decline bench from amazon. Excellent investment. 50$. There are many postings of workout plans on the forum on other threads. The need for discipline is a must. All the best to all present and future candidates.
                  You should also practice holding plank for extended periods of time...

Comment

• Thank You for the update shimmydog

Comment

• hey all,

first time posting,

i recently passed my pre-medical and have a full medical coming up in a week.
                      my biggest fear is that i will fail my pulmonary test because my FVC will not be 80%.
                      I was a smoker since i was a kid but have quit smoking for 2 months now.
                      i know 2 months is not enough time to have my full lung function back.
                      does anyone know from experience what will happen if you fail the full medical? do they tell u to come back at a later point or is that pretty much the end?

Comment

• Originally posted by ohsnapj View Post
                        hey all,

first time posting,

i recently passed my pre-medical and have a full medical coming up in a week.
                        my biggest fear is that i will fail my pulmonary test because my FVC will not be 80%.
                        I was a smoker since i was a kid but have quit smoking for 2 months now.
                        i know 2 months is not enough time to have my full lung function back.
                        does anyone know from experience what will happen if you fail the full medical? do they tell u to come back at a later point or is that pretty much the end?
                        From what I've heard you get a second chance to take the test again but you have to wait a minimum of 90 days. I was a smoker for many years also but I quit a year ago and feel great. Congrats, it's the one time it pays to be a quitter! Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• For anyone waiting for admittance to the academy........here is a reality check.

You need to be mentally and physically prepared. You need to be able to handle being yelled at for things you may or may not have done wrong.

YOU NEED TO EXERCISE AND TRAIN! You need to be able to jog a mile in under 10 minutes and be able to jog a mile and a half. You need to be able to do push ups, sit ups and mountain climbers (at varying speeds and paces). You need to be able to hold yourself in the push up, sit up, and mountain climber positions for long periods of time. You need to be prepared to the push ups, sit ups, and mountain climbers over and over and over again. Even when you think you're done, there's a chance you will have to start from the beginning again.

Even if you think you're in good enough shape....you're not.
                          You are trained to do everything "as one" . This means that when one person messes up, everyone messes up. You are no better than the weakest or slowest person in the room.

You can not miss any days or be late. You can not fail any exams and you must be up to the physical standards. People have been terminated! Do not listen to anyone that tells you that as long as you try your best they will not kick you out....it is not true.

These are the basics. Sorry to say that it will not be as easy as you are hoping for but......the academy is the hardest part of the job.

If you are prepared mentally and physically you will actually enjoy a lot of the academy process.

My advice is prepare for the worst. It's better to prepare for the worst and find it easier than you though it would be than to not be prepared and struggle and be miserable through the whole process and possibly not make it to the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSCOHopeful View Post
                            From what I've heard you get a second chance to take the test again but you have to wait a minimum of 90 days. I was a smoker for many years also but I quit a year ago and feel great. Congrats, it's the one time it pays to be a quitter! Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
                            Thanks for Ur feed back. I have my full medical this coming week so I will definitely let u know how the whole process is like.

Comment

• Bxco do u work in the bronx?

Comment

• Just received notice for a retest on my premed vision. Glad it will work out. Date is scheduled for 4/15. All the best to present and future candidates. Train hard, be disciplined, it has to start now and build in increments. Stick to your workout plans running, pushups, sit-ups.
                                Keep a log of improvement week by week. Eat right and again stay disciplined.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13055 users online. 422 members and 12633 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X