300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2010take2 View Post
    Well for starters... No academy or physical requirements, but both can be promoted to clerk down the road.
    I heard about the promotion to clerk as well. I wonder if this position is all clerical or if other duties are involved.

Comment

• Totally clerical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        Totally clerical.
        And from prior posts I heard they have peace officer status and are allowed to carry firearms in certain JDs. Does this sound right?

Comment

• Deferment?

This may sound like a dumb question to many of you who would love to get into any type of law enforcement work given the chance...but I simply want to know if any of you who are currently court officers or have gone through the process before know if there is any deferment option. The reason I ask is because I am scheduled to go into a Police Academy in 2 weeks for a Police Department about 2 hours away from my home town which I recently was hired by. I, however find the hours, pay, and job itself to be much more to my liking and would actually prefer the position as a Court Officer. I did very well on the test scoring in the below 3xx's and am afraid I might be canvassed for a position while I am still in the Police Academy. This would obviously pose a problem as I wouldn't want to turn down canvass letters for a position I would rather have, but at the same time would not want to quit during the police academy for a potential position as a court officer which may never come to fruition.

Any advice, knowledge of the process? Much appreciated

Comment

• No court clerks outside the First or Second Departments are Peace Officers. Court assistants in those Departments do have Peace Officer status but I have yet to come across one that can carry. They have to go through the testing and training to get permission to carry and the available training slots are few and far between. The same holds for Court Clerks that have promoted from non-uniform titles. Peace Officer status does not automatically confer the roght to carry a firearm. Court Clerks and Court Assistants without the training have ID cards stamped "NO GUN" in nice red letters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
              No court clerks outside the First or Second Departments are Peace Officers. Court assistants in those Departments do have Peace Officer status but I have yet to come across one that can carry. They have to go through the testing and training to get permission to carry and the available training slots are few and far between. The same holds for Court Clerks that have promoted from non-uniform titles. Peace Officer status does not automatically confer the roght to carry a firearm. Court Clerks and Court Assistants without the training have ID cards stamped "NO GUN" in nice red letters.
              Thanks Dinosaur!

Comment

• "This would obviously pose a problem as I wouldn't want to turn down canvass letters for a position I would rather have, but at the same time would not want to quit during the police academy for a potential position as a court officer which may never come to fruition."

That last sentence is key because with the economic situation in NY it "may never come to fruition" and a bird in the hand is better than.....
                I went thru the process recently and I did not see the option for a deferment but maybe a senior officer here on this forum knows more about this.
                Consider contacting the courts civil service to change your jurisdiction preference to a less desirable district so you won't get canvassed by the district you really want; then when you complete the police academy training and your probationary period go back and reverse your district preference so you can receive their canvass letters. Of course verify the above with the courts civil service office before you proceed. With the courts each district is a separate entity, turning down a canvass from one district will not effect your position on the list with the remaining districts that you are interested in and it helps if you listed several preferences.

Comment

• Oberness, How long is the Academy? If you haven't been canvassed as yet, odds are that you will finish before being canvassed. Canvassing is a preliminary step before the actual call for the academy.

Comment

• Im a soon to be court officer
                    7 weeks down and 7 to go left in academy
                    great time and great people good luck to all who took last test

Comment

• Originally posted by Theogre View Post
                      Im a soon to be court officer
                      7 weeks down and 7 to go left in academy
                      great time and great people good luck to all who took last test
                      Congrats!! What JD are you going to? When do you find out which Court you will be working in?

Comment

• Did anyone get a canvassing letter from the last exam yet??

Comment

• Originally posted by grunt999 View Post
                          Congrats!! What JD are you going to? When do you find out which Court you will be working in?
                          dont find out till grad day
                          and ill be in 5 boroughs

Comment

• Originally posted by grunt999 View Post
                            Did anyone get a canvassing letter from the last exam yet??
                            No and my rank was in the mid 200's from what I've been reading they should start canvassing at the end of oct or mid November but I can't say for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackangel5288 View Post
                              No and my rank was in the mid 200's from what I've been reading they should start canvassing at the end of oct or mid November but I can't say for sure
                              from the last exam u still have medical ,background,physical,pysch so u looking at a year before called for academy
                              this academy atm has rank # 1200 to almost 5k with 160 people in alot dont make it past the screening

Comment

• The official response from the NYSUCS is that the new list will begin to be utilized in "late fall." I am would imagen that would be at some point during November. With all of the recent retirements, I would imagine a descent amount of canvassing will occur shortly after.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8496 users online. 391 members and 8105 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X