300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by soon2retire View Post
    I don't know if having a college degree really makes you a better officer. I worked with many guys/gals who were HS grads who were outstanding officers. They had excellent knowledge of the law and could take care of business when the [email protected]&$ hit the fan. The worst? A computer genius w/a Masters who while on a crack binge broke into the courthouse where he was assigned and stole a bag of drugs that were in evidence. Wound up doing 4-12 for that bit of insanity
    I never said better officers but I'm sure you will get a hell of a lot better candidates. Book smart won't get you anywhere in the streets but you need to have some imo

Comment

• Unless they've really dumbed down the test, you would need book smarts to do well enough to be reachable for this highly competitive job. BTW, a Bachelors' was a requirement for the job decades ago. From what I understand, they did away w/ the requirement so more minorities could qualify for the position.
      RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Unless they've really dumbed down the test, you would need book smarts to do well enough to be reachable for this highly competitive job. BTW, a Bachelors' was a requirement for the job decades ago. From what I understand, they did away w/ the requirement so more minorities could qualify for the position.
        That's very stupid to even say minorities can't get a bachelors and I don't mean that toward you I'm saying in general. College isn't that hard I have a few months left for my bachelors plenty of minorities in my class who all do very well

NYC law enforcement hopeful

Comment

• guys i have a college degree however it does not make me more smarter or more experience then someone who does not!! i believe all law officermnet jobs should NOT require college... a hs degree is more then enough with a clean back ground!

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBBY THE BULL DOG View Post
            guys i have a college degree however it does not make me more smarter or more experience then someone who does not!! i believe all law officermnet jobs should NOT require college... a hs degree is more then enough with a clean back ground!
            Yes I agree also soon2retire made a good point about officers in who are natural police who know the streets sharp instinct and the ability to read people no degree can get you that it just doesn't

Comment

• I did not say that minorities can't get a Bachelors' Degree, did I? I said "so MORE minorities could qualify for the position" I also said the requirement was dropped decades ago. (More than 30 yrs.) That was the thinking at the time
              Originally posted by Junior214 View Post
              That's very stupid to even say minorities can't get a bachelors and I don't mean that toward you I'm saying in general. College isn't that hard I have a few months left for my bachelors plenty of minorities in my class who all do very well

Last edited by soon2retire; 12-23-2014, 05:40 PM.
              RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

I did not say that minorities can't get a Bachelors' Degree, did I?
                No read it carefully that wasn't directed toward you I meant that if that statement you said is true that it's stupid nys lowered standards for minorities to get the job. standards for law enforcement should be the same across the board no matter what sex or race a person is. We bleed the same breathe the same with that being said standards should not be changed because others aren't getting the job that's how I feel about it. Soon2retire I don't think your racist at all I don't want to come off like that you give great info and you are very informative.

Comment

• We agree to disagree

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
                    We agree to disagree
                    There's nothing to disagree about in my opinion. You have to bust your *** for this job right? That being said I just feel the standard should not be altered. Coopers standard is a great tool and I actually train for that standard and go harder so I can excel past what they want (personal goal) be the best at what you can do and go from there

Comment

• guys enough fighting like little girls!!!! no college degree means more ppl can apply and can qualify for the job... maybe if they did that for nypd and got rid of 60 college credits maybe then well have some normal cops on the street who had life exp living and growing up in the projects and would not be scared to do vertical patrols like some ppl are! thats what they should do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Junior214 View Post
                        There's nothing to disagree about in my opinion. You have to bust your *** for this job right? That being said I just feel the standard should not be altered. Coopers standard is a great tool and I actually train for that standard and go harder so I can excel past what they want (personal goal) be the best at what you can do and go from there

The same can go for a lot of jobs , you need to bust your *** but still need an education to get the job

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBBY THE BULL DOG View Post
                          guys enough fighting like little girls!!!! no college degree means more ppl can apply and can qualify for the job... maybe if they did that for nypd and got rid of 60 college credits maybe then well have some normal cops on the street who had life exp living and growing up in the projects and would not be scared to do vertical patrols like some ppl are! thats what they should do!
                          No fighting over here just a bunch of hungry *** people who want to get On the job

Comment

• That scared stuff your talking about i applaud because it's so true it's not even funny we need real cops on the street. To fight these scary fights scary people you can't be that scared. We're human we all get scared its normal but how we handle stressful situations tells slot about character you couldn't be more right!!!!!!!

Comment

• Speaking of NYPD I believe it should be for NYC residents only. I've been to the pjs rikers crazy Edps call with out pd on my back at times so I'm deff not scared of it .

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
                                Speaking of NYPD I believe it should be for NYC residents only. I've been to the pjs rikers crazy Edps call with out pd on my back at times so I'm deff not scared of it .
                                Me too I'm from queens born and raised from the 80s to present day you see how Nassau and Suffolk other than pd you need to be a county resident nypd needs that standard as well

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12999 users online. 448 members and 12551 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X