Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuomo's big agenda last term was public pension reform -- he wouldn't put through something that goes back against it. It'll likely stay this was at LEAST until someone else is in office.
    Last edited by Kabbage; 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
      Cuomo's big agenda last term was public pension reform -- he wouldn't put through something that goes back against it. It'll likely stay this was at LEAST until someone else is in office.
      Ok I have a question if we were to be selected and make it through the process he leaves in four years. The new governor changes this policy. Do we get it changed as well or are we locked in contract because we were on while he was still in office?

NYC law enforcement hopeful

Comment

• Agreed- when I started, I was in Tier 3, and originally had to work 'til I was 62 The 30/55 came along later, about 10 yrs after I started Hopefully, a pro-LE governor will get elected in the future (or after Cuomo gets indicted) who will bring back 30/55
        Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
        Cuomo's big agenda last term was public pension reform -- he wouldn't put through something that goes back against it. It'll likely stay this was at LEAST until someone else is in office.
        RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Originally posted by soon2retire View Post
          Agreed- when I started, I was in Tier 3, and originally had to work 'til I was 62 The 30/55 came along later, about 10 yrs after I started Hopefully, a pro-LE governor will get elected in the future (or after Cuomo gets indicted) who will bring back 30/55
          There's your answer, junior. It has happened in the past where the retirement was "sweetened" (brought closer in line with other LE jobs, but still not quite). If you are hired under tier 6 and the retirement is enhanced in any way, you would receive the benefits.

Comment

There's your answer, junior. It has happened in the past where the retirement was "sweetened" (brought closer in line with other LE jobs, but still not quite). If you are hired under tier 6 and the retirement is enhanced in any way, you would receive the benefits.
            Thank you so they bring these bills to the floor every year?

Comment

• Ironically, it was the current dunces' father who gave us the 30/55
              RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Originally posted by Junior214 View Post
                Thank you so they bring these bills to the floor every year?

Bills hit the floor every year. Whether they make it to governor is one thing (police status, which made it to Patterson before being vetoed), whether they get signed off on (these 2 bills here) is another.

Comment

Bills hit the floor every year. Whether they make it to governor is one thing (police status, which made it to Patterson before being vetoed), whether they get signed off on (these 2 bills here) is another.
                  One more question I have looked for employment in other states law enforcement. I've come across some different things why is nys one of the only ones to have police and peace officer? I see in other states police are peace officers. I tried looking up state laws and got confused with the wording. Any insight and why court officers don't have police powers? It boggles my mind why they are limited in powers

Comment

• Improvement to your pension status allowed under State law. Reduction of pension benefit barred by the State Constitution. Police Officers have very broad authority. Most Peace Officer titles are limited in both their authority and geographical area of jurisdiction. Only a few, i.e. State Court Officers, State Correction Officers, have broad authority and statewide jurisdiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      Improvement to your pension status allowed under State law. Reduction of pension benefit barred by the State Constitution. Police Officers have very broad authority. Most Peace Officer titles are limited in both their authority and geographical area of jurisdiction. Only a few, i.e. State Court Officers, State Correction Officers, have broad authority and statewide jurisdiction.
                      Ok I understand now thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

• does anyone here know how they grade the NYS COURT OFFICER EXAM on which scale? ie are some questions worth more then others? do they do an average on everyone in certain area/sections? how does it work? how do they come up with the grades scores?

Comment

Improvement to your pension status allowed under State law. Reduction of pension benefit barred by the State Constitution. Police Officers have very broad authority. Most Peace Officer titles are limited in both their authority and geographical area of jurisdiction. Only a few, i.e. State Court Officers, State Correction Officers, have broad authority and statewide jurisdiction.
                          I think what junior was asking was why does NYS have 1.20 and 2.10 , 2.15 , and I believe 2.16 for police and peace officers while every other state just have them listed as peace officers. When I went to interview with Dept of Homeless Services here in NYC they said we had statewide authority but we will be working in or in the general areas of the shelters and thats on and off duty. DHS is peace officers special officers to be exact. Would I want to be the guy on the stand or getting grilled by a higher up for something off duty? Negative I'll call up the calvary unless **** really hits the fan if I was a peace officer.

By the way every state is different. You can go to Virginia I believe and open carry or conceal it. Not too sure of the exact laws on that but my navy friend does it when I visit him down at his spot.

Comment

• All law enforcement officers in New York have at least some statewide authority. All NY LEOs need to read and digest CPL Article 140. It describes the warrantless arrest powers of both Police and Peace Officers. You will find some potential problems in the sections. For example an on duty NYPD Officer in Albany cannot arrest for a petty offense committed in his presence (Sect 140.10 (2) (a) but an on duty Court Officer who went to Albany with the cop can.

Comment

All law enforcement officers in New York have at least some statewide authority. All NY LEOs need to read and digest CPL Article 140. It describes the warrantless arrest powers of both Police and Peace Officers. You will find some potential problems in the sections. For example an on duty NYPD Officer in Albany cannot arrest for a petty offense committed in his presence (Sect 140.10 (2) (a) but an on duty Court Officer who went to Albany with the cop can.
                              Is that because court officers are state officers so it falls in there geographical area of employment? An nypd officer off duty in Albany is just off duty? So there police power is now limited in that scenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Junior214 View Post
                                Is that because court officers are state officers so it falls in there geographical area of employment? An nypd officer off duty in Albany is just off duty? So there police power is now limited in that scenario

Bingo.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7560 users online. 413 members and 7147 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X