Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 2010take2 View Post
    From the '05 test, I got an 88 and ranked 24xx. My canvas came around Dec'06/Jan'07. I unfortunately bombed the eye test and weighin. Lasik and a gym membership later, i'm ready to go at it again. got a 93 and ranked 11xx. We'll see what sept/oct brings.
    2010take2...you should be an example for everyone! Excellent work and glad the first time around didn't make you lose faith. Good luck in all phases of processing!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by port1 View Post
      Hi, the letter will be from one of the judicial districts that are seeking to hire, if you reply back that your interested you will not be canvassed from another JD. Read the letter carefully for more info. A geographical map of the JD's will be included. The medical was the 1st stage of the process for me. Now for the real reason for this reply... the Lasik procedure. I have not had lasik but know a couple of people who did. The success rate (without side effects) is not has high as they advertise. Do some hard research on this yourself then decide. I wear glasses for nearsightedness and passed the exam anyway.
      Port1: Were you canvassed for a JD that you selected on pre-exam paperwork? I know I selected about 5-6 districts downstate and wonder if I would ever get canvassed for lets say Buffalo (jd8) even though I didn't select it on exam day.

      Comment


      • Ok, now I'm nervous about this eye exam! Anyone know the details?
        NYS Court Officer
        Test 10/24/2009
        Score: 91.7
        Rank: 2***

        Comment


        • I'm nervous too ... and confused about the eye test ...reading from the test guide it says candidates must have 20/30 vision with or without correction (contact lenses & glasses are permitted) .... then it says candidates are disqualified if visual acuity is worse than 20/70 without correction on both near and far vision testing ... why do they test you with glasses or contacts and then without them ? I would pass the 20/30 with my contacts ... but would fail the 20/70 without them ... Port 1 if you could clarify, it would be appreciated .... thanks ...

          Comment


          • I had Lasik 3 weeks ago. 20/15 Vision now....

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 2010take2 View Post
              From the '05 test, I got an 88 and ranked 24xx. My canvas came around Dec'06/Jan'07. I unfortunately bombed the eye test and weighin. Lasik and a gym membership later, i'm ready to go at it again. got a 93 and ranked 11xx. We'll see what sept/oct brings.
              I had a similar situation -- a medical issue that has since been resolved (not involving Lasik, though). When I contacted them last spring I was told:

              You will be placed on a list of candidates that have requested a re-evaluation appointment. You will be contacted with a re-evaluation appointment when they are scheduled.

              Please also be advised that it is anticipated that a new eligible list will be established in Spring, 2010. List 45-722 is scheduled to expire in July, 2010 and will be used only until a sufficient number of candidates have been cleared for appointment from the new list. Candidates remaining on list 45-722 will not be transferred to the new list.


              What I understood from that second paragraph is that there would be no more canvasses from the '05 exam list (45-722). Yet what I'm reading here makes it sound otherwise. I had a high score and rank in '05 -- should I keep checking in with them?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                Port1: Were you canvassed for a JD that you selected on pre-exam paperwork? I know I selected about 5-6 districts downstate and wonder if I would ever get canvassed for lets say Buffalo (jd8) even though I didn't select it on exam day.
                I checked off YES for all districts listed. You can't afford to be too particular if you score low and I did. Your not suppose to get canvassed for districts that you did not express an interest in. If your on the new list they might amend it for you at your request; not sure though.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by port1 View Post
                  I checked off YES for all districts listed. You can't afford to be too particular if you score low and I did. Your not suppose to get canvassed for districts that you did not express an interest in. If your on the new list they might amend it for you at your request; not sure though.
                  thats exactly what i did because of my low score of 81.7, well actually i emailed them and told them i am willing to change my location from the 9th judicial district to statewide, so for those who are willing to relocate, you can always change your location preference by email

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                    thats exactly what i did because of my low score of 81.7, well actually i emailed them and told them i am willing to change my location from the 9th judicial district to statewide, so for those who are willing to relocate, you can always change your location preference by email
                    Thanks port1 and TP3 for the info! Not sure if I am willing to relocate across the state just yet as I rank 55xx so may have a shot downstate. I'll see what happens.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Rodney880 View Post
                      Ok, now I'm nervous about this eye exam! Anyone know the details?
                      So was I, it was on my mind a lot when I went in. They did not use an eye chart but some device that you look into like a microscope while your seated. I found it easier then the old eye chart test. I'd rather not try to explain their eye testing standards because I might get it wrong. Contact the clinic for the details. For me it turned out to be a little easier then I anticipated. Were you canvassed yet?
                      Last edited by port1; 09-08-2010, 09:08 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
                        I'm nervous too ... and confused about the eye test ...reading from the test guide it says candidates must have 20/30 vision with or without correction (contact lenses & glasses are permitted) .... then it says candidates are disqualified if visual acuity is worse than 20/70 without correction on both near and far vision testing ... why do they test you with glasses or contacts and then without them ? I would pass the 20/30 with my contacts ... but would fail the 20/70 without them ... Port 1 if you could clarify, it would be appreciated .... thanks ...
                        See my other post.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                          Thanks port1 and TP3 for the info! Not sure if I am willing to relocate across the state just yet as I rank 55xx so may have a shot downstate. I'll see what happens.
                          yea i know i dont have any shot downstate with my score, and being that i chose statewide, ideally i would want to get placed in any district closest to southern new york, I just dont want to get called to go somewhere in buffalo and come to find out if i waited a year or so later i could be placed in somewhere like binghamton, or not take the buffalo canvass letter and end up not getting called for another judicial district at all, man I hope this works out for me.

                          Does anyone know how often transfer positions open up downstate

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by port1 View Post
                            So was I, it was on my mind a lot when I went in. They did not use an eye chart but some device that you look into like a microscope while your seated. I found it easier then the old eye chart test. I'd rather not try to explain their eye testing standards because I might get it wrong. Contact the clinic for the details. For me it turned out to be a little easier then I anticipated. Were you canvassed yet?
                            No, but I score fairly well so I am hopeful. I would hate to get my expectations up and then get shot down by an eye exam. Especially if this is something I could be proactive about and fix (Lasik). I usually check into that kind of thing before hand and I remember the 20/30, but not the 20/70...
                            NYS Court Officer
                            Test 10/24/2009
                            Score: 91.7
                            Rank: 2***

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rodney880 View Post
                              No, but I score fairly well so I am hopeful. I would hate to get my expectations up and then get shot down by an eye exam. Especially if this is something I could be proactive about and fix (Lasik). I usually check into that kind of thing before hand and I remember the 20/30, but not the 20/70...
                              Yeah, I would hate to be shot down because of an eye test. I wear contacts so my vision is 20/20 with them on .... but my question is, do they test you without them on also ? It's seems like they do, but the way they explain it in the test guide is pretty confusing. The way I read it, you need a vision of at least 20/70 without corrective lenses.

                              Comment


                              • The reason they do it, it is a qualiier. They need some sort of criteria. Thats why 19 (for example) fails and 20 passes if 20 is passing. Criteria, criteria, criteria.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6614 users online. 280 members and 6334 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X