300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TP3 View Post
    I have to redo the arm steadiness test...it will have made 90 days on November 19th...so im patiently waiting to get scheduled for the re test...I will definitely be more calm and relaxed this time. I had took the PAT feeling sick with a cold my 1st time around
    Good luck on the re-test. Have you and is there a way to physically prepare for this particular test? For the other tests, you can improve your strength and cardio, but for this test, it is more mental than physical

Comment

• Originally posted by homers54321 View Post
      Good luck on the re-test. Have you and is there a way to physically prepare for this particular test? For the other tests, you can improve your strength and cardio, but for this test, it is more mental than physical
      Grip weights to improve hand/forearm strength. Also don't hold the gun so tight that your choking the life out of it. A firm handshake type grip with steady calm breathing will work
      http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
      NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

Can you tell me how they test the arm hand steadiness? How long do they make you hold the firearm? Do you fail if it touches one time? Judging by the picture on the website, the hole seems awfully small..

Also, for the step test, do they measure your resting heart rate beforehand? I have a slightly elevated heart rate at rest so naturally my heart rate after activity will be high as well.
        Arm hand steadiness is 2 attempts at 30 seconds each. You will hit the sides. Breath, relax and don't strangle the gun. Heart rate is tested after the step test

Comment

• Hey guys, so 4 yrs and a hundred pounds later I finally received the letter...basically I'm at 280 pounds and I stand at 5`9..ive been a emt in nyc for four long years and I would love to become a court officer but I am afraid I wont make it past the pre med even if I start working out right now.. I have to loose 86 pounds. My sincere question is, should I dedicate time to work out? Am I going to have enough time, How long does it take for them to recieve the letter and schedule me for the pre med.. I also read that some doctors are different, but am sure there not gonna let me slip away with 86lbs over the limit.. any advice would be appreciated.. thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ajp165 View Post
            Hey guys, so 4 yrs and a hundred pounds later I finally received the letter...basically I'm at 280 pounds and I stand at 5`9..ive been a emt in nyc for four long years and I would love to become a court officer but I am afraid I wont make it past the pre med even if I start working out right now.. I have to loose 86 pounds. My sincere question is, should I dedicate time to work out? Am I going to have enough time, How long does it take for them to recieve the letter and schedule me for the pre med.. I also read that some doctors are different, but am sure there not gonna let me slip away with 86lbs over the limit.. any advice would be appreciated.. thanks!
            It took about 5 weeks from canvas letter to my premed date. Not going to lie, 86 pounds is a daunting task. Losing that weight will require a lot of dedication. Take a look at the other requirements for the premed at the court officer website. Vision and blood pressure is another test that DQ's a lot of candidates. If the weight requirement is the only thing holding you back and you want the job bad enough, maybe seek out a nutritionist/personal trainer to see if you can lose that much weight in a short amount of time safely

Comment

• Here's something they tell you when you go to the PAT:

Work out, prepare yourself. Best case, you get the job and you're ready for the academy. Worst case, you're now healthier and in better shape than you were before.

Comment

• 10characters
                Last edited by boredlimodriver; 06-25-2015, 10:50 AM.

Comment

It took about 5 weeks from canvas letter to my premed date. Not going to lie, 86 pounds is a daunting task. Losing that weight will require a lot of dedication. Take a look at the other requirements for the premed at the court officer website. Vision and blood pressure is another test that DQ's a lot of candidates. If the weight requirement is the only thing holding you back and you want the job bad enough, maybe seek out a nutritionist/personal trainer to see if you can lose that much weight in a short amount of time safely
                  Thanks for the response! Ill def consider a nutritiontist, at least so I can get the healthy eating started..

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
                    Here's something they tell you when you go to the PAT:

Work out, prepare yourself. Best case, you get the job and you're ready for the academy. Worst case, you're now healthier and in better shape than you were before.
                    My Girl just told me those very similar words.. and am gonna go by that, ill benefit enough from either scenario..thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boredlimodriver View Post
                      I lost 120lbs in just under 2 years, and the first 9 months of that I wasn't really trying and lost 30lbs. So 90lbs in about 13 months or so. Half that time will not be easy, or safe. But, aim to lose 2-3lbs a week and see how it goes. Get MyFitnessPal app/website and track everything you eat. It works. Trust me.

Any questions, PM me.
                      Sounds like you did it in a reasonable amount of time, hopefully there willing to work with me as long as I show them that am really trying to do my part..thanks for the response!!

Comment

• You guys/gals are awesome, thanks for the morale booster and honest response. I just finish sending out my paperwork.. I picked the third district..now to work on this stomach of mine lol!!! You guys rock! From a humble nyc EMT, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

Comment

• Originally posted by ajp165 View Post
                          You guys/gals are awesome, thanks for the morale booster and honest response. I just finish sending out my paperwork.. I picked the third district..now to work on this stomach of mine lol!!! You guys rock! From a humble nyc EMT, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE
                          How do you like being a nyc emt?
                          Last edited by NY17; 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM.
                          DEA Special Agent

Applied: 9/2014

NYS Court Officer

Test taken: 10/18/14
                          Score: ?
                          List #: ?

Comment

• Hey guys,
                            Haven't been on here for a while! I finally got canvassed for Suffolk County, after declining about 15 canvasses from upstate counties. Do I need to get my eye corrective surgery for the pre-screening medical or for the full medical exam? Thanks for any info you guys have.
                            Last edited by Monkeyboy49; 11-14-2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
                              Hey guys,
                              Haven't been on here for a while! I finally got canvassed for Suffolk County, after declining about 15 canvasses from upstate counties. Do I need to get my eye corrective surgery for the pre-screening medical or for the full medical exam? Thanks for any info you guys have.
                              They test vision at both. So I would get it done before premed

Comment

• Hey guys, Not sure if this question has been asked. I recently received a canvas letter from the 2009 test. They canvassed me for the 3rd JD. Any input on what it's like working in this area?? Also, How long of a time period is it usually from when you receive the canvas letter until you start the process of being hired? I appreciate your input

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7344 users online. 391 members and 6953 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X