300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
    Negative that **** is only for NYPD candidates that live in NYC. You got the wrong test brother. Maybe veteran points that I wouldnt know about since Im not a veteran.
    I see well I just asked because my brother took the nypd test and will be in the 2015 academy he thought it would be similar with the 5 point extra. I hope i score under the list # of 4,000 I dont mind being canvassed in long island or brooklyn and queens becuase i have a car. It's just if i get canvassed for upstate idk how far up it would be since I live in the bronx.

Comment

• True that QUOTE=TheSlammer;3536595]Also, get a few extra months to hone/practice various test taking skills. I wish I got the Barron's book sooner, but it is what it is and I think I did good.[/QUOTE]
      RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Originally posted by Federalemp View Post
        I see well I just asked because my brother took the nypd test and will be in the 2015 academy he thought it would be similar with the 5 point extra. I hope i score under the list # of 4,000 I dont mind being canvassed in long island or brooklyn and queens becuase i have a car. It's just if i get canvassed for upstate idk how far up it would be since I live in the bronx.
        You pick three areas you want to be canvassed for you will not be selected for the rest of the state

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSlammer View Post
          Also, get a few extra months to hone/practice various test taking skills. I wish I got the Barron's book sooner, but it is what it is and I think I did good.
          To me or at least all the civil service law enforcement tests that I've taken have been common sense. You get a picture or a passage to test your memory that you get to view or read for a set amount of time afterwards you get 5-10 questions testing your memory on that. The rest of questions more times then not will have the answer in the question, passage before it, image,graph,table before it. Now me saying that I have yet to get 100% on any civil service exam I've taken but I've also yet to fail to fail one either and that is with no studying whatsoever. These prep books that you guys buy into it you can probably take free preps online of the same quality. I dont believe in those things but thats just me. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

To me or at least all the civil service law enforcement tests that I've taken have been common sense. You get a picture or a passage to test your memory that you get to view or read for a set amount of time afterwards you get 5-10 questions testing your memory on that. The rest of questions more times then not will have the answer in the question, passage before it, image,graph,table before it. Now me saying that I have yet to get 100% on any civil service exam I've taken but I've also yet to fail to fail one either and that is with no studying whatsoever. These prep books that you guys buy into it you can probably take free preps online of the same quality. I dont believe in those things but thats just me. I hope it works out for you.
            Of course it's common sense. But also getting 5 minutes to remember certain facts, waiting 10 mins while the proctor doesn't shut up and then trying to remember certain details doesn't come easy to everyone. If it does for you, then you're lucky. For me, I can do pictures just fine. But straight narratives need a little extra time for.

As for the book, I dont study at home. And where I do study, I dont have internet, so I'm glad I bought it. Sure, I can print out different ones online. Especially since I already took the real exam, I can honestly say the $13 for that study guide is a worthy investment if you're not a good test taker (which I am not). Not only does it give you 5 practice tests of 100 questions each, but it gives you the explanation to each answer, if you got it wrong. With some of the questions, it's good to have. On top of that, the tips for studying various types of questions were more than helpful for me. But like I said, I'm not a good test taker, never was. Even through years of schooling when I did study, I was never excellent.

Also, I've passed all LE tests I have taken with minimal studying. However, to me, this test is much more important than any county exam I could take. So, I put forth the extra effort (and few extra bucks) to help improve my score. Which, I think it will be higher than if I didn't use it at all.

Hope you all did good (who took it 10/18) and those who take it in Dec. Just don't do better than me

Comment

• When can we expect exam results? Is it nine months after october or nine months after december???

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvin911 View Post
                When can we expect exam results? Is it nine months after october or nine months after december???
                Website says 7-9 months. This would make me believe that it would be 9 months after October. So expect them in July or so.

Comment

• yeah thats what I figured as well... The last exam received their results in July 2010 when the exam was given out in 10/09 and 12/09. Wow thats a while. Hopefully they dont make any mistakes or lose any exams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvin911 View Post
                    yeah thats what I figured as well... The last exam received their results in July 2010 when the exam was given out in 10/09 and 12/09. Wow thats a while. Hopefully they dont make any mistakes or lose any exams.
                    Well hopefully we will have a new governor

Comment

• Congrats to all the new officers that graduated. I wish you all a great and healthy career! Stay sharp, be teachable, and enjoy the ride.
                      http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                      NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Wish it didnt take so long to grade the exams and establish a list, just so we have a general idea of where we stand
                        NYPD EXAM: 4312
                        Score: 9X
                        List: 1XX

NY Court Officer Exam - Oct 2014
                        Score : ?
                        List # : ?

Bridge & Tunnel Officer Exam : March 21 2015
                        Score : 100
                        List : ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike19 View Post
                          Wish it didnt take so long to grade the exams and establish a list, just so we have a general idea of where we stand
                          I'm hoping they were just playing it safe with the 7-9 months estimate and that they actually plan to expedite the process..maybe that's just wishful thinking but hey, aren't they short on officers?

Comment

• Commands are short, but they still have an established list that they're processing from with people at various stages of the process.

You'll get your shot, stay sharp.

Comment

As someone who has scored 100's on many civil service and police tests, I say do whatever you can to score as high as you possibly can. Most people can pass the exam without studying, that's a given. But if a study guide or prep book can help you do better and get a better list number, why not? So many of you refer to these LE gigs as your dream job, so how come it's not worth a $20 book and few hours of your time spent preparing? It certainly can't hurt. My "common sense" tells me that no matter how smart I am, studying for these simple tests is not below me. I guess it's a matter of different mindsets...I want to ace, not just pass. List numbers can mean all the difference in the world when there's a cutoff for an academy or a hiring limit/freeze.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ajax104 View Post
                                As someone who has scored 100's on many civil service and police tests, I say do whatever you can to score as high as you possibly can. Most people can pass the exam without studying, that's a given. But if a study guide or prep book can help you do better and get a better list number, why not? So many of you refer to these LE gigs as your dream job, so how come it's not worth a $20 book and few hours of your time spent preparing? It certainly can't hurt. My "common sense" tells me that no matter how smart I am, studying for these simple tests is not below me. I guess it's a matter of different mindsets...I want to ace, not just pass. List numbers can mean all the difference in the world when there's a cutoff for an academy or a hiring limit/freeze.
                                You're so right. I legit got placed on backfill in case someone dropped out of an academy for something else I was in the process for. Long story short Im waiting for the next academy now...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13102 users online. 485 members and 12617 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X