Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored 91.7 Rank 2***, got my fingers crossed.
    NYS Court Officer
    Test 10/24/2009
    Score: 91.7

Comment

• Do all court officers carry firearms? I recall reading a post stating that carrying a gun was optional.

Comment

• All NY LEOs carry firearms with the permission of their agencies. Unless a major change has been made, I believe the title standard for Court Officer Trainee and up states "may be required to" when talking about carrying firearms. Carrying is optional off duty, but on duty is under the control of the bosses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
          All NY LEOs carry firearms with the permission of their agencies. Unless a major change has been made, I believe the title standard for Court Officer Trainee and up states "may be required to" when talking about carrying firearms. Carrying is optional off duty, but on duty is under the control of the bosses.
          Thanks Dinosaur!

Comment

• So can anyone tell me the type of hotel they put the recruits up in? Is it always two per room?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coggs View Post
              Hey Everyone....well now that its over ill reply to you guys...I graduate to Court Officers academy this morning at 11am lol...it was a long but really fun 14 weeks..I took the test in Feb of 05 and got hired Oct 09...long process but well worth it...ill be working up in the 9th JD and I'm looking forward to it...nice to meet all the fellow C.O's on here! So far seems like the best job in law enforcement right now. I came from another LE state agency and it doesn't compare to what I've seen so far from being a court officer...good luck to all of you that took our last test! I hope things work out
              what was your score on the 2005 test?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                All NY LEOs carry firearms with the permission of their agencies. Unless a major change has been made, I believe the title standard for Court Officer Trainee and up states "may be required to" when talking about carrying firearms. Carrying is optional off duty, but on duty is under the control of the bosses.
                I recall reading somewhere that Trainees dont carry. Once you are full court officer they all can carry.

Comment

• Trainees are qualified to carry during their time in the Academy. They do not carry after graduation until called back to the Academy for a re-qual. I believe this occurs about 6 months after graduation. it gives the rookies time to adjust to the job.

Comment

• I never liked that rule. If they qualified and are in good standing, they should carry. If not, don't graduate them.

Comment

• You must remember the genesis of the Trainee title. OCA wanted one title for all Court Officers. There was, however, case law that required OCA to only place Officers that met certain standards in Supreme Court. That was done by certifying that Officers were capable of working in the Supreme Court through a test. To eliminate the test, OCA devised the Trainee title which gives OCA 2 years to determine that an Officer meets the standards to work in Supreme Court. to justify the elimination of the promotional test and the Senior Court officer title, OCA must at least make a show of actually treating the Trainees as such.

Comment

• Could a Trainee be assigned to a Supreme Court right out of the academy? Are there any restrictions between the Trainee and Officer titles, like where they can work, jobs they can perform? I ranked 15xx on 45-758.

Comment

• Trainees are assigned to all commands in the system there are no restrictions on the functions they can perform, except they are not permitted to man posts that require armed officers, until they are re-qualified. Trainees are supposed to work under direct supervision.

Comment

• Thank you sir!

Comment

• Dinosaur makes sense and is right I still think the 6 month rule is dumb. You can't work O.T. without a gun. We now have a situatuon where an SCO is in Family Court and a new officer is in Civil Supreme. That is better? Better one is that one officer is in the UCOA the other is in SCOA. Even better is a Family Court officer (not their fault of course) gets a promo to Supreme Criminal and the very first day they walk into a part, they are the boss. Thats fair to no one. OCA and the unions didn't think the title merge through. It was not meant to work this way.

Comment

• Letmypeoplego...Agree about the 6 month rule......and just before I retired the group of Trainees we had in my command were getting called back for re-qual a lot earlier than 6 months. We were that short. I also agree that the current situation with members of the two unions working in the strongholds of the other union is rather absurd. A single union for all officers and one for all supervisors would be a lot more realistic and sensible. OCA will of course do its utmost to see that never happen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6552 users online. 377 members and 6175 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X