Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's hard to believe they would just throw the list away when they just sent me for my psych interview last week. If they were planning on throwing the list out the window why would they waste the money?

    Comment


    • As unblindeacon said before...rumors.

      That being said, I can't see them scrapping the current list yet. Might they go a while? Sure. They went over two years between academies this last time. But to scrap the current list and start from scratch? I just can't see it.

      But...unfortunately, I'd also add that OCA can and will do whatever it wants, because it owns the playing field. So, while they may have never done something so drastic or stupid or [insert word here], they have an annoying habit of surprising you with their actions. OCA is almost a law unto themselves.

      Keep hope. Don't turn down any other oppurtunities and for the love of all that is holy, don't miss out on a friend's wedding.
      Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

      Comment


      • I'm currently going thru the medical. I'm on my first year in the PD, does that help or hurt me at all?

        Comment


        • Makes no difference that I know of
          http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
          NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Nikolaos View Post
            I'm currently going thru the medical. I'm on my first year in the PD, does that help or hurt me at all?
            It might make the process go by a little bit quicker for you since you are already in LE. What medical process are going through? Pre or Full?

            I got a question for the Court Officers who post here. Uniform allowance. Does it just cover the uniform(shirts/pants)? or does it also cover shoes/boots/Jackets/coats/duty belt?

            Comment


            • Tdd57 check pm
              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

              Comment


              • Thanks for the info unblindeacon.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TDD57 View Post
                  It might make the process go by a little bit quicker for you since you are already in LE. What medical process are going through? Pre or Full?

                  I got a question for the Court Officers who post here. Uniform allowance. Does it just cover the uniform(shirts/pants)? or does it also cover shoes/boots/Jackets/coats/duty belt?
                  Full medical

                  Comment


                  • Congrats on going through the full medical. Good luck to you in the PAT.

                    Comment


                    • I'm also currently in law enforcement with OMH, Peace officer status and I still had to go through the entire process. It didn't seem expedited at all. However, I didn't have to stand before the board for an interview. I have been done with my investigation for nearly a year. Hoping that we see some movement before the year is up but hopefully after my friend's wedding. I am also hopeful that some of these statements that they OCA would process so many candidates and then not hire any of them are not true. While I have 7 years at my current agency this is not where I intend to stay for my career and my age is making the amount of time that I'm eligible for many other titles extremely limited. Maybe someone can shed some light on one question for me. The officers that were hired December and January for the 2 academies. Weren't they off of a 2005 test? Wouldn't that mean that their list was 7 years old and that even after our list was established and many of us processed they still did not throw out that prior list? (I may be off on the 2005) But wouldn't this mean that there is a good chance they could still give another test in 2014 and many of us would still be eligible for an academy. I hope that my question hasn't been answered previously and doesn't come off as redundant. As I've said previously, I thank all of the vets that post here and shed some light onto these questions for us, and I'm looking forward to hopefully one day soon working with you all.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Hoping4it View Post
                        I'm also currently in law enforcement with OMH, Peace officer status and I still had to go through the entire process. It didn't seem expedited at all. However, I didn't have to stand before the board for an interview. I have been done with my investigation for nearly a year. Hoping that we see some movement before the year is up but hopefully after my friend's wedding. I am also hopeful that some of these statements that they OCA would process so many candidates and then not hire any of them are not true. While I have 7 years at my current agency this is not where I intend to stay for my career and my age is making the amount of time that I'm eligible for many other titles extremely limited. Maybe someone can shed some light on one question for me. The officers that were hired December and January for the 2 academies. Weren't they off of a 2005 test? Wouldn't that mean that their list was 7 years old and that even after our list was established and many of us processed they still did not throw out that prior list? (I may be off on the 2005) But wouldn't this mean that there is a good chance they could still give another test in 2014 and many of us would still be eligible for an academy. I hope that my question hasn't been answered previously and doesn't come off as redundant. As I've said previously, I thank all of the vets that post here and shed some light onto these questions for us, and I'm looking forward to hopefully one day soon working with you all.
                        The recruits from 2005 were scheduled to start an academy in Jan. 2011. That academy was later cancelled and they were promised a spot in the next academy once the budget issues cleared. That is the only reason the 2005 list was still being used. And they all had to re-take the PAT which many did not pass.

                        So to answer your question...once the next exam list is established (approx. 8-12 months after the exam is given), the prior exam list expires.

                        Comment


                        • The next test won't be until late 2014 so I expect results from that test won't be out until late 2015 then it's at least 6 months to qualify on all the hiring steps so you've got some time. OCA needs to hire officers.. it's just a question of when. Maybe with a Credible SCOA partnered with COA they can force the issue. Maybe I'm dreaming lol. Despite your current status the Courts want to train you their way and I'm hearing they will be expanding curriculum. Are they waiting on the new academy? Possibly. The Good news for Hoping4it is that your likely in tier 4 ERS and all your time with OMH will carry over. Waiting is the hardest part. Stay in shape, stay out of trouble.
                          Last edited by unblindeacon; 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
                          http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                          NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

                          Comment


                          • Hoping4it- People are being processed for hiring and people are done being processed for hiring like yourself. OCA wouldn't even bother to continue to process people from the '09 list if they intend to not hire anymore from it. Since it cost's them money to process candidates. About 30-35 people have been hired from the '09 list. So I don't think OCA is done with the list yet. Waiting for a new list in 2015 sounds irrational, even with OCA having a history to do what it wants. So stay in shape/out of trouble and go to your friends wedding. If you get called before, I'm sure your friend will understand. If not, have a good time because weddings are a good time.

                            unblindeacon- Hearing that the curriculum is expanding, could that mean the academy could expand longer than the 14 weeks? or could it stay at the 14 weeks?

                            Comment


                            • I think the academy will expand in the coming years...If we ever get the status bill passed then it will definitely be longer. I was referring to more things being included in the current time frame. Last class had tactical/ combat shooting training (so sad I missed this haha) and they had more hands on training. The instructors really care about this job and it's future so they are always working on expanding and including new things.

                              There is just a lot of uncertainty with this job right now. I'm hoping we'll know more in the fall but I want to stress that if your young get an education in something other than criminal justice and take every test. NYPD, Corrections (city/state ) NYSP, PAPD etc. Lot of good info on this board about the various jobs.
                              Last edited by unblindeacon; 05-21-2013, 08:09 AM.
                              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

                              Comment


                              • Thanks for the info guys. I am definitely staying out of trouble. I need to get myself to the gym. I've tacked on a few pounds since the weigh in and I'm probably about 10-15 pounds over my max weight right now. Last thing I need is to get the call and be DQ'd on the weigh in. When I went for the processing I dropped 20 pounds in 2 weeks (I was doing 2 hours of cardio a day and eating minimal calories) Wasn't the healthiest way of doing it but it got me where I needed to be. My friends wedding is going to be a great time but he having taken a career position as a firefighter in Richmond, Va he understands having to take a job when its available. It will be nice knowing what my job is and not having grey areas. At OMH we are peace officers pursuant to our duties which means that when we are off duty we have no powers. We work under strict rules that pretty much say if we do something that lawfully we can as peace officers we can still get into trouble under agency policies. It will be nice knowing as a Court Officer that the job is what it is and there isn't different expectations based on who the supervisor is at the moment.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6745 users online. 292 members and 6453 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X