300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCOSGT4LIFE View Post
    I hope they plan on hiring you guys (and gals) real soon...My command, Dino's old one, is already short 8 Sgts and 40 officers...and we will be losing at least a dozen more, myself included, this year due to retirements...All those of us who came off the '82 test are now reaching our 30 years and getting ready to pull the pin..lets hope oca sees the writing before it's too late!
    Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!! I hope OCA starts up other academies soon as well. For NYC and Upstate. Those of us from the test of '09 are eager to step up and take the call. It sounds like the State and NYC needs future court officers really bad.

Comment

• Just called my investigator to check in. I was contacted by NYS Corrections today. Doesn't look like theres much going on... My court investigator told me to process with corrections and to never pass up the opportunity for possible employment. He told me if i was hired by corrections i could transfer my time over to the courts if hired. What to do? what to do?

Comment

• Go for corrections, get into a pension tier before they make a tier 7, and if you get the opportunity to get hired as a Court Officer and your unhappy as a CO make the switch and carry your time & pay.
        http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
        NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• What unblindeacon said!
          RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Listen to your Investigator, Wabee. Going into Corrections isn't a lifetime commitment. DOCS was the best represented State Agency in my Academy class. No less than 8 guys were corrections officers.

You can always leave to come to the Court System later. Get in before another "all new" crappy Tier gets created.
            Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Comment

• State Correction Officers have been coming over to the Courts since I started in "73. Not a bad way to get your foot in the door.

Comment

• Talked to my investigator today and things are moving at a slow pace. My file is all set for the Eval Board and it has been ready since the first week in March. Just have to wait longer to see if I passed all phases of the process. Just got to stay patient and positive.

Comment

• Thank you all for the advice. Greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

• Anybody out there hear anything new about another upstate academy? Seems like the whole process has been put on pause.

Comment

• Nairb,

No more upstate academies are likely after this class graduates on 5-8-13. All recruits will most likely be going through the city academies (old or new) from now on, regardless of JD location. See some of the prior posts about this subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
                        Nairb,

No more upstate academies are likely after this class graduates on 5-8-13. All recruits will most likely be going through the city academies (old or new) from now on, regardless of JD location. See some of the prior posts about this subject.
                        Hey Prof- Did you happen to hear why they will not be using the academy in Cohoes anymore? Not worried about driving a couple more hours to Manhattan or Brooklyn if I get the job, but I am curious as to why they would shut down the academy in Cohoes. Either way I hope they get a class going soon after the one on 5/8 graduates and I hope I'm in it as well.

Comment

• I can't say with certainty. It's all rumors. My best guess is that they (OCA)in a cost cutting measure are no longer going to be leasing the building. Most of the non-academy staff that worked there have been moved to other locations. It was pretty much empty.

Comment

• In regard to the post made earlier... a few days ago def go for the corrections job while you wait. I've been in OMH for almost 7 years now and was really happy to find out that my time will carry over and the pay too. I am curious though, how exactly does the pay carry over? I am nearly at top pay with OMH, Am I going to be making that much more money over everyone else in the academy? Also if I can give any guidance to anyone GET INTO DEFERRED COMP ASAP!!! I've been done with my Courts process since july of 2012. Someone earlier mentioned having to redo the agility, I asked my investigator about that a few weeks back when I called to check in and he said that the retest for the agility is very rare and not likely again unless the new hire gets pushed back significantly. My biggest hurdle is going to be maintaining weight. I'm a little over now but nothing extreme that I couldn't drop it in a week or two if needed. Good luck to us all and thanks to all the retirees and vets for all the information and guidance you provide. Just to ask again, can someone explain to me in more detail how carrying over my pay will work? and sick/vacation time carries over as well? Thanks again!

Comment

• @hopibg4it

Check this link http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/faqs.cfm

Or email state comptrollers office with specific questions @ [email protected]

Ultimately you'll have to talk to OCA human resources.... I think the specific person you have to talk to has initials ZZ. You meet him the 2nd or 3rd day in the academy when your doing all the paperwork
                              Last edited by unblindeacon; 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM.
                              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Saw a past post that the academy in Cohoes started the week of 1/28. So wouldn't the class graduate at the end of next week of 5/3 and not the week 5/8? I know there are a lot of "rumors" going around with future academies (back to back, no more for Cohoes after the one graduates in May, all academies are going through NYC, or none at all). But with the one from NYC that graduated 28 in March and the one in Cohoes is possibly graduating 20, that would make it 48 officers total spread out both upstate and NYC. Not a lot to go around with numbers so low around the state and NYC. I'm hoping OCA will have other academies for upstate and NYC soon. Hopefully we will start to hear of new academies starting up to help the commands that need people bad.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9375 users online. 326 members and 9049 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X