Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want to see short staffed, come upstate. I work a mag alone many times and I am lucky if there is another officer somewhere in the facility. There is no love fest between me and OCA, however I just don't understand your premise/concern that by OCA buying us vests they will have an easier time denying LODI. Maybe we will have less injuries because we have vests and that is a good thing.

I guess I am more concerned about officers having the equipment to protect themselves than worrying about how they may deny LODI benefits. Don't need LODI if your dead.... As I said previously, some officers in Middletown were not wearing vests. Not sure they had them and did not wear them or they did not have a vest to wear. That issue has been resolved...Fortunately.

Oh and while it is not my union, I do agree with your comments about the SCOA using union money for things other than the benefit of their members. I'm in CSEA, I think they are even worse. I'm in the same union with the janitor, clerk, interpreter and every other employee who have completely different needs than officers. We are lucky if they even think of us let alone buy us anything...

Peace and be safe...
    Last edited by protector343; 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Oh, I am sure there is plenty of complaining about the vests, protector, in the various commands. I haven't heard much in my own,but that was because most of us had them (and wore them) already.

Frankly, protector, you know as well,as I do that it really isn't about the vests or any mandate to wear them (about said mandate, I am of two minds). Those officers complaining will complain about everything: lack of overtime, being forced to work overtime when it actually happens, being asked carry a file from one room to another, etc. The "Table of Hate"'ers as I have heard them called. $&@# 'em.

I realize you are pro-policy, vis-a-vis, the vests. Not sure if I like the mandate, but I am pro vest. At the same time, I've seen those "kind hearted" folks at OCA make plenty of cynical, amoral or downright assinine decisions so, while I like the vests and won't complain about them, I am not ready to give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to the purity of their motives.
      Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Comment

• The powers that be know you are working short handed. Right now there are probably very limited plans for hiring in the near future, So OCA mandates the wearing of the vests. If the vests cut down on any LODI days, OCA is ahead of the game on manpower days. Watch for more emphasis on the use of OC and batons....again, anything to keep you on the job and off LODI.

Comment

• Professor, I am pro policy as long as the policy helps us. Like it or not, lots of officers do not wear their vests and unfortunately, the only way to get them to wear it is to make it mandatory. Who said anything about OCA having pure intentions? I question everything they do but in this particular case, the upside is in the officers direction regardless of their motive.

Dino, yes, we are short handed but whether we have a vest or not we are still short handed. Is it not better to have a vest regardless of OCA's reasoning or purpose? If the vest and pepper spray and batons keep us on the job as you point out that means less of us are getting hurt, is that not a good thing? I don't understand how or why acknowledging that the purchase of vests and the requirement to wear them by OCA can be construed as anything but good, regardless of their motive which I will agree probably is not pure. However, I don't care what their motives are as long as they spend money on equipment that protects court officers regardless of motive. Issuing body armor and requiring us to wear it is a good thing no matter their motive.

And Professor, the complaining is incessant, when I arrive home at the end of the day I am drained not by the public but by the constant whining and complaining from morning until night about anything and everything from our fellow officers.

People come here seeking advice and answers on how to get the job and yet those that have the job complain complain complain. I guess it's the human condition but it draining none the less.....
          Last edited by protector343; 03-20-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Don't let them get to you Protector. I don't. I love this job (my thoughts about OCA not withstanding)and I love going to work everyday. I just ignore them or when pressed, tell them they have their had up their @$$.

Illegitami Non Carborundum.

Comment

• I will keep trying, brother. Thanks.... And don't worry, the bastards won't grind me down...LOL

Originally posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
              Don't let them get to you Protector. I don't. I love this job (my thoughts about OCA not withstanding)and I love going to work everyday. I just ignore them or when pressed, tell them they have their had up their @$$.

Illegitami Non Carborundum.
              Last edited by protector343; 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Not attacking use of the vests. Just saying OCA does nothing for the betterment of officers except accidentally. Keeping you off LOdI helps them not have to hire more officers.

Comment

• True, but it also means we aren't getting hurt which as far as I am concerned is more important....

Comment

• Speaking for those who are still waiting to be called, I pray for the day I'm forced to wear a vest, or anything else for that matter.

Comment

• Hi everyone!
                      Finally the Jan. 06, 2011 cancelled class will graduate on Thursday 3/28/13. We started with 30 recruits and we'll finish with 28. It was a long wait but I'm telling you it's all worth it.

Talking about vest, we got our vest and we all wore it yesterday in class and will wear it for the next 30+ years Yes, we've been told that OCA was the one who purchased all our vest.

There were few training we did for the first time (according to the academy), like Advance Firearms Training (running and shooting the targets, working all day in Brooklyn Criminal Court (doing the bridge and taking in/out of the prisoners from the correction dept. on the 9th floor) And of course Active shooter/ room clearing drills training in a pitch dark floors/rooms and MSP training which they started few classes ago.
                      So to all the people still waiting for this job, just hang in there. I waited 8 years for this job and I'm glad I did it. Hopefully you guys don't wait that long. Good Luck!
                      Last edited by jontot; 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM.
                      Exam 2005/ 45-722
                      Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                      Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

Comment

• Hey jontot, congratulations. Its great to hear about your experiance. I cant wait till im in the same position. I guess they never mentioned anyting about another class to you guys?

Comment

• Jontot.....Congratulations and best wishes for a long and successful career!!!!

Comment

• Welcome Jontot!

And I hope you don't wear your vest for thirty years because it is only good for about 5...ah, I'm just picking on ya. Congratulations!

P.S.

We did Active Shooter/Room Clearing scenarios in the dark too. It was, literally, a blast(LOL), and the most fun I had at the Academy. I'd pay to do it again, it was that fun.

Comment

• Congratulations

Comment

• Congratulations!!
                                RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10568 users online. 411 members and 10157 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X