Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the way, I really appreciate the info. Sorry if I'm annoying you with all the questions.

Comment

• Split evenly? Nah. Not even close. DT might take up an afternoon, and not everyday. But PT is usually reserved for the last part of the day, for say an hour. If that.

Except the first time. Prepare yourself for that one. That one is designed to be torturous. Practice staying locked out in the push-up position for extended periods of time. And look up an exercise called the Mountain Climber. For the most part, PT will consist of three exercises ( which the Academy calls 'Circuit Drills'): Push-ups, Mountain Climbers and Sit-Ups ("Shoot 'me through and lock 'em up!). Sometimes, they might throw in Squat Thrusts or Burpees to punish you. Practicing now will help.

And don't even worry about the Class Runs.

If I could change anything about the way we did PT, I'd say make recruits do it everyday. But alas, 'twas not done that way. I enjoyed it but I am not right in the head. The marines beat any sense out of me.
      Last edited by Professor Moriarty; 02-26-2013, 07:38 PM.
      Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Comment

• Originally posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
        Well, I am sure it depends on which Academy you refer to. I hear the City Academy is different from Upstate (Cohoes). But as far as Cohoes goes...

Forget everything you have seen in movies about law enforcement academies. It mostly takes place in one big classroom that seats about fifty people. With a couple of exceptions, most classes (including PT and DT) take place in this same carpeted room. It can get surreal. Only the firing range, OC spray down and class runs happen outside. And the Firing range is far off site.

You will try to arrive between between 8 and 830 to give you time to change into whatever clothes they direct for the day. They "welcome" you at the door each morning in person. So you feel special. You must arrive in business attire everyday. Everyday. It is the first inspection. Before this, you will have lined up outside waiting to be invited in.

You change, line up for Roll Call at 9AM. Second inspection begins.

After that, you arrange the desks and wait to be seated (at attention). Then the head instructor tells you what the day's agenda is. Classes of various kinds and then PT or DT at the end of the day. Then you sit at attention and wait to be berated again before they let you leave for the day.

That's about it. Prepare for a heaping ton of verbal abuse in a surreal classroom setting.
        Wow, it's amazing how we can view things so differently. I went through the academy in Cohoes. While the facility was surely lacking I found the instructors to be professional, dedicated and informative. Yes, discipline was a big part of the training but I never felt for a moment that there was verbal abuse and nothing was done gratuitously.

I heard the facility downstate is much better and there is a new facility being built which is where all future recruit classes will be conducted. The best advice I can give is to be physically prepared, follow instructions and always keep your eyes and ears opened. The only people I have ever witnessed having any problems whatsoever were those who did not follow instructions or somehow thought they knew better or that basic training was somehow beneath them.

I came from another LE job and my experience with the courts and basic training was a far better and more fruitful experience.

Good luck, I hope one day to see you donning the same uniform as me. I can simply say that in my humble opinion based on my experience, the NYS Court System is a great place to work.

Peace....
        Last edited by protector343; 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Hmmm.

I read and then reread my post and can't find anyplace where I said the instructors weren't "professional, dedicated and informative." I didn't say that they were either, but then I was just trying to answer his question about a day at the Academy, not address the quality of instruction (which, with the exception of two instructors, one of whom is no longer with the Academy, was excellent).

Then again, maybe you view verbal abuse as unprofessional.

I do not. It is part of good training, and as they discovered long ago, an effective part of the simulation of the stress of working with an often angry disgruntled public. Recruits need to learn how to handle stress, and it is one of the best ways to do so, other than physical abuse (which can't be done anymore, but was still done when I joined the Marines in 1991) and physical exhaustion (due to PT).

If a recruit can't handle verbal abuse (I.E. Stress) in a controlled environment like an Academy, they have no business whatsoever working in this or any LEO field. And if you didn't feel there was verbal abuse, I know you didn't graduate with my class. LOL. We got plenty and to spare. The first two guys couldn't make it through the door on day one (the "Meet and Greet" as they say) without being called names and being made to do push ups while other recruits stepped over and around them.

Good times. Good times.

I did also call the Academy experience surreal. But that doesn't make it negative either. I mean, really, doing PT in a carpeted (with puke stains) classroom, completed with whiteboard, flat screen monitor and podium is not exactly what anyone will expect, especially if they have no experience with these things. They might go into it expecting a track to run on, a field or gym for PT, etc.

It will not match up with any popular portrayals of a LEO Academy in movies or TV, which is what most recruits are going to base their expectations on. Damn. I ended a sentence on a preposition.

Anyway, I too love the job. Except when supervision is getting in the way, that is. But that's every job.
          Last edited by Professor Moriarty; 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM.
          Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Comment

• Professor, thank you for clarifying your post. I guess what struck a nerve with me was your statement to be prepared for a heap of verbal abuse. You are correct, I took that as a negative and in all honesty, I think most people would as well. And since I took that negatively I inferred you were saying the instructors were unprofessional. Your last post gives me a better understanding of what you were conveying and where you are coming from and I appreciate it, thanks.

Many people form opinions and expectations based on what they see in movies and television but most LE Academies will never meet or even remotely resemble those expectations. However, I did say in my previous post that the facility in Cohoes is lacking which admittedly is an understatement.

I am heartened that you too enjoy the job as do i and agree with your comment about some bosses...

Be safe....
            Last edited by protector343; 03-02-2013, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• Wow! It has gotten quiet in here. Hope all is well with people being processed. Waiting now for the word if I passed all phases of the process. Now just staying in shape and keeping my nose clean.

Comment

• I just took the written psych last week and I am now waiting for the psych interview. Anybody have any idea the amount of time that is usually between these two steps?

Comment

• Originally posted by nairb View Post
                  I just took the written psych last week and I am now waiting for the psych interview. Anybody have any idea the amount of time that is usually between these two steps?
                  I had my interview about a month after I took the test. Nothing really to worry about as the psychologist explains the test and will ask you some questions. The test really forms a profile on you.

Comment

• Greetings Todd, what was your score on the test. I'm trying to get a feel of how far they have gone on the list. Is there anyone out there who has scored less than 91.7 that has been notified? Their website is not always the most up to date. Thank you.

Comment

• I should have been a little more specific. Anyone out there in the NYC area, JD9 area notified, that scored less than 91.7?

Comment

• Originally posted by Safetyman View Post
                        Greetings Todd, what was your score on the test. I'm trying to get a feel of how far they have gone on the list. Is there anyone out there who has scored less than 91.7 that has been notified? Their website is not always the most up to date. Thank you.
                        Hello Safetyman- I scored a 88.3. I am being processed for JD 4.

Comment

• Anybody else processing for JD5?

Comment

• I was just wondering if anybody has any info or a link to a page containing any info as to what csea contract the court officers are currently working under?

Comment

• Originally posted by nairb View Post
                              I was just wondering if anybody has any info or a link to a page containing any info as to what csea contract the court officers are currently working under?
                              Check out the link below.

http://www.cseajudiciary.org/Contract

Comment

• Originally posted by Retriever View Post
                                Check out the link below.

http://www.cseajudiciary.org/Contract
                                Not good news for those in the process.

Contract
                                Contract Negotiations Update 3/1/13

(James Hennerty, CSEA Dep. Director of Contract Administration, March 1, 2013)

The CSEA Negotiating Team met with UCS's team in Albany last week. For the first time in these negotiations, management gave us some idea of how they see the process. They believe they do not have enough money in the upcoming budget, and probably won't have enough in the budget after that, to fully fund the current number of employees. They are taking measures to reduce costs, including the reassignment of employees from administrative offices to court rooms, more hiring freezes, etc.

In short, they are planning to make "no growth" budgets into a "no growth" contract. We will need to counter their arguments, especially with respect to the numbers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10358 users online. 381 members and 9977 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X