Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did get my reservation for the Stay Inn in Albany. The room was $68 with my AAA discount. Originally it was $75. I just told the guy I had AAA and he said ok. I asked him if he needed my membership # and he said don't worry about it??? I guess anyone can get this discount. I also have all my stuff ready to go including my packet. Does anyone know if passport photos are still 2"x2"?

Comment

• Any word about the 30/55 getting changed?
      Last edited by Max 1618; 09-18-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max 1618 View Post
        What stations would they not know that day? That really makes no sense. Seems kinda fishy that they will make you submit all your paperwork and $$$ and then tell you a week later that you failed. Any other PAT I have ever took, they tell you after that event if you passed or failed. I also don't like how there is no set # of reps for the events. All this should be set in stone so you can work toward your goal. No 1 1/2 Mile run, push-ups and the sit-ups dont have a qualifying #??? How do I ready myself for this?
        Stay in tip top shape and execute these PAT exercises as best as you can. I recall trying my best on every single exercise. I had the eye of the tiger. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
          Stay in tip top shape and execute these PAT exercises as best as you can. I recall trying my best on every single exercise. I had the eye of the tiger. Lol
          Craven, I got this. Just don't like suprizes. That is why I am staying up there the night before. Hopefully I can get a good night sleep and be on my A game. I started counting my sit-up and I am pulling off about 30-35 per minute.

Comment

Craven, I got this. Just don't like suprizes. That is why I am staying up there the night before. Hopefully I can get a good night sleep and be on my A game. I started counting my sit-up and I am pulling off about 30-35 per minute.
            I have hit 40 maybe once or twice....not easy at all! Once I hit #30...I start fatiguing.

Comment

Good to hear, Max. I am not sure if you are doing pull ups, but if you're not, do them. You'll need the upper body strength for the pull-up trainer exercise. Furthermore, practice your arm-hand steadiness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                Good to hear, Max. I am not sure if you are doing pull ups, but if you're not, do them. You'll need the upper body strength for the pull-up trainer exercise. Furthermore, practice your arm-hand steadiness.
                Is that a total gym? The pull up trainer???

Comment

• Ok, I'll throw in my little 2 cents here for everyone who is still worried. DON'T WORRY!!! Just try your hardest. They told us that every PAT event is based on your output. Give 125% and you'll be fine. I'll run you through... 5 minute step test is a step just below knee cap level (for men) after that you sit down about 30 seconds and they take your recovery pulse rate so be sure to do cardio, then I went to the hand wheel, after 30 seconds of giving probably 200% I was exhausted and almost thought about giving up, but I didn't. I pushed myself through and came out pretty good. Then I went to the platforms where you pull up on a bar attached to a chain that doesn't budge. That is very stressful cause you have no idea how you are doing. The academy CO's will tell you keep going, keep going, keep going, ok stop. You do it like 2-3 times each exercise so you have a chance to improve. I figure that means you pulled to an acceptable level. You do it like 2-3 times each exercise so you have a chance to improve. After my arms were exhausted I had to hold the handgun inside the bullseye area of a dart board, and let me tell you that rod hit the metal around the bullseye about 15-20 times (REALLY BAD) the CO told me to rest for 30 seconds and my second time i hit it MAYBE 3 times. Much better, then I came in and did 1 minute on the bicycle. Peddle your brains out!!! Go as hard as you can for the full minute, after that I did the sit ups. This has historically ALWAYS been my down fall. Again, just push hard and put out as much as you can. The last area was the slant board pull ups. The first 2 levels no man should have problems with, you are practically laying down. I got to the 4th pull up on the 2nd to last level (5 pull ups each level) That was the end of the test and when we finished we left. After I walked out the door I immediately called my girlfriend and told her that I failed. I felt horrible about the test. I told her that I don't think anyone walked out of that test confident. A few weeks later I received my letter that I had passed my PAT and I should report for my written psych in June 2011. I stress, I felt like I failed and I ended up passing. Keep your head up and don't think negative. Its actually a great thing that they don't judge a person strictly off push ups, sit ups, and mile and a half run cause myself personally I have a bad time with sit ups, that has disqualified me from a few other jobs but I'm in shape and feel I would be very good at this job, I just have weak core muscles. And the last thing I'll touch on is the oral psych, I took mine in June of 2012, a year after my written. Don't tense up, be calm. I took mine in Yonkers, the lady was nice... not overly friendly but I guess that goes with her position. Don't get stressed out. Be honest and be clear. Don't overthink things!!! Again, I walked out of there after some of her statements thinking she didn't like my answers and a month later I got my letter that I passed all my phases of my background. If you are a stand up person, honest, and your past isn't full of skeletons I'm sure you'll be fine. As for the academy, the waiting continues, I got canvassed for Suffolk County and I haven't seen any talk about that on here so I don't know when they might think about putting an academy in at the NYC academy. But hopefully in the near future we are all in the positions we have and/are working so hard to get. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Is that a total gym? The pull up trainer???
                    I am not sure, Max.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoping4it View Post
                      Ok, I'll throw in my little 2 cents here for everyone who is still worried. DON'T WORRY!!! Just try your hardest. They told us that every PAT event is based on your output. Give 125% and you'll be fine. I'll run you through... 5 minute step test is a step just below knee cap level (for men) after that you sit down about 30 seconds and they take your recovery pulse rate so be sure to do cardio, then I went to the hand wheel, after 30 seconds of giving probably 200% I was exhausted and almost thought about giving up, but I didn't. I pushed myself through and came out pretty good. Then I went to the platforms where you pull up on a bar attached to a chain that doesn't budge. That is very stressful cause you have no idea how you are doing. The academy CO's will tell you keep going, keep going, keep going, ok stop. You do it like 2-3 times each exercise so you have a chance to improve. I figure that means you pulled to an acceptable level. You do it like 2-3 times each exercise so you have a chance to improve. After my arms were exhausted I had to hold the handgun inside the bullseye area of a dart board, and let me tell you that rod hit the metal around the bullseye about 15-20 times (REALLY BAD) the CO told me to rest for 30 seconds and my second time i hit it MAYBE 3 times. Much better, then I came in and did 1 minute on the bicycle. Peddle your brains out!!! Go as hard as you can for the full minute, after that I did the sit ups. This has historically ALWAYS been my down fall. Again, just push hard and put out as much as you can. The last area was the slant board pull ups. The first 2 levels no man should have problems with, you are practically laying down. I got to the 4th pull up on the 2nd to last level (5 pull ups each level) That was the end of the test and when we finished we left. After I walked out the door I immediately called my girlfriend and told her that I failed. I felt horrible about the test. I told her that I don't think anyone walked out of that test confident. A few weeks later I received my letter that I had passed my PAT and I should report for my written psych in June 2011. I stress, I felt like I failed and I ended up passing. Keep your head up and don't think negative. Its actually a great thing that they don't judge a person strictly off push ups, sit ups, and mile and a half run cause myself personally I have a bad time with sit ups, that has disqualified me from a few other jobs but I'm in shape and feel I would be very good at this job, I just have weak core muscles. And the last thing I'll touch on is the oral psych, I took mine in June of 2012, a year after my written. Don't tense up, be calm. I took mine in Yonkers, the lady was nice... not overly friendly but I guess that goes with her position. Don't get stressed out. Be honest and be clear. Don't overthink things!!! Again, I walked out of there after some of her statements thinking she didn't like my answers and a month later I got my letter that I passed all my phases of my background. If you are a stand up person, honest, and your past isn't full of skeletons I'm sure you'll be fine. As for the academy, the waiting continues, I got canvassed for Suffolk County and I haven't seen any talk about that on here so I don't know when they might think about putting an academy in at the NYC academy. But hopefully in the near future we are all in the positions we have and/are working so hard to get. Good luck to everyone.
                      Hey Hope,

You hit the nail right on the head. You described my screening process experience in a nutshell.

Comment

• Thanks Hoping4it! Good detailed info.

Comment

• Hoping, Thank you so much for the info. I am now mentally ready to tackle this. Thats sucks that hand steadiness is right in the middle of the test.

Comment

• Originally posted by CNY Lee View Post
                            Sweet,
                            Are you driving up that day or going early and stay a night?

Lee
                            Lee, I will be going Wednesday night. I want to make sure I'm as rested as possible and know where I'm going. What about you? If there are rooms left at the Stay Inn, I will be making a reservation there.

Comment

What are wearing to the PAT? Do we need to Dress Up and dress down that day??
                              I was told to come dressed comfortably in work-out clothes, so probably shorts/t-shirt. I asked about bringing a change of clothing for the meeting afterwards and while she said it wasn't necessary, I will bring a change just in case. I heard there is a locker room where we can keep things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoping4it View Post
                                Ok, I'll throw in my little 2 cents here for everyone who is still worried. DON'T WORRY!!! Just try your hardest. They told us that every PAT event is based on your output. Give 125% and you'll be fine. I'll run you through... 5 minute step test is a step just below knee cap level (for men) after that you sit down about 30 seconds and they take your recovery pulse rate so be sure to do cardio, then I went to the hand wheel, after 30 seconds of giving probably 200% I was exhausted and almost thought about giving up, but I didn't. I pushed myself through and came out pretty good. Then I went to the platforms where you pull up on a bar attached to a chain that doesn't budge. That is very stressful cause you have no idea how you are doing. The academy CO's will tell you keep going, keep going, keep going, ok stop. You do it like 2-3 times each exercise so you have a chance to improve. I figure that means you pulled to an acceptable level. You do it like 2-3 times each exercise so you have a chance to improve. After my arms were exhausted I had to hold the handgun inside the bullseye area of a dart board, and let me tell you that rod hit the metal around the bullseye about 15-20 times (REALLY BAD) the CO told me to rest for 30 seconds and my second time i hit it MAYBE 3 times. Much better, then I came in and did 1 minute on the bicycle. Peddle your brains out!!! Go as hard as you can for the full minute, after that I did the sit ups. This has historically ALWAYS been my down fall. Again, just push hard and put out as much as you can. The last area was the slant board pull ups. The first 2 levels no man should have problems with, you are practically laying down. I got to the 4th pull up on the 2nd to last level (5 pull ups each level) That was the end of the test and when we finished we left. After I walked out the door I immediately called my girlfriend and told her that I failed. I felt horrible about the test. I told her that I don't think anyone walked out of that test confident. A few weeks later I received my letter that I had passed my PAT and I should report for my written psych in June 2011. I stress, I felt like I failed and I ended up passing. Keep your head up and don't think negative. Its actually a great thing that they don't judge a person strictly off push ups, sit ups, and mile and a half run cause myself personally I have a bad time with sit ups, that has disqualified me from a few other jobs but I'm in shape and feel I would be very good at this job, I just have weak core muscles. And the last thing I'll touch on is the oral psych, I took mine in June of 2012, a year after my written. Don't tense up, be calm. I took mine in Yonkers, the lady was nice... not overly friendly but I guess that goes with her position. Don't get stressed out. Be honest and be clear. Don't overthink things!!! Again, I walked out of there after some of her statements thinking she didn't like my answers and a month later I got my letter that I passed all my phases of my background. If you are a stand up person, honest, and your past isn't full of skeletons I'm sure you'll be fine. As for the academy, the waiting continues, I got canvassed for Suffolk County and I haven't seen any talk about that on here so I don't know when they might think about putting an academy in at the NYC academy. But hopefully in the near future we are all in the positions we have and/are working so hard to get. Good luck to everyone.
                                Hi Hoping4it.... thanks for the great info. Just curious - is there any resistance/tension on the stationary bike or hand wheel?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17410 users online. 448 members and 16962 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X