Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Max 1618 View Post
    And thats the funny thing is some of the guys were only over by 5 to 10 lbs. I would have started shedding clothes right down to my birthday suit if I was in that situation. I weighed in with a full suit, shoes and had a cell, wallet and car keys in my pocket. They did not care. They just said stand on the scale. I was wearing dress shoes so that probably added an inch to my height as they had me at 6' 1" but still some of these guys got DQ'ed for being 5lbs over. Where some people got nailed was on BP. I went in completely relaxed and still had a 129/80 when I am a 110/70 all day. I think they need to calibrate thier sphygmomanometer. Anyway I passed this round so its on to Medical!
    Oh, and also... when you say "DMV styled" eye test. Are saying, there was a chartr on the wall and you stood at a distance(10Ft or more) and read of the chart? If so, that was much different than my site, where we looked through a machine with different slides, colors, and patterns. You are indeed left in the mercy of the staff! When they checked my BP, it was high...I told the nurse she is using the wrong cuff size, cuz my arms are larger. It came out extremely high, so she tried again using the larger cuff...but she put it on extremely tight. I'm like miss you put the cuff on too tight, she is like no...I think it's on right. Tries it again and it's less, but still high. She then tries it again, but now putting on the cuff appropriately. The BP drops 40 digits. *SMH*
    Last edited by TruGuardian; 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
      Is this to appeal a DQ? Or is this part of the normal process (evaluation board)?
      Eval board is listed under the steps needed to be gone through, however if there are no problems with your background investigation then you'll just skip over that. I went straight from the Psych to cleared for appointment, so I can't give any insight on what might trigger an evaluation board meeting.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
        Is this to appeal a DQ? Or is this part of the normal process (evaluation board)?
        As someone else stated the review board is not for DQ. It is the final step in the process and they use it to weed out the last few they dont deem acceptable that the rest of the process did not catch. They were very critial of all aspects of my history although there wasnt anything really of importance. When I talked with people abut the questions they asked most were quite amused. Like the job i held off the books when i was a teenager. Or the ticket i received for speeding in 1994. Stuff like that. Remain calm and explain yourself and be respectfull. You should be fine. Unless there are hidden skeletons they have uncovered and are seeing if you are truthful about them.
        Last edited by FutureCtOfr; 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling
        Test 45-722
        Rank 21XX
        was scheduled for january 6th 2011 class that was cancelled

        Comment


        • For all of you waiting for the call, keep this in mind: As short handed as the Courts are, the retirements continue. I know of one command losing 3 more officers to retirement in the next few weeks. The tipping point for operational safety is about to come over the horizon.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by FutureCtOfr View Post
            As someone else stated the review board is not for DQ. It is the final step in the process and they use it to weed out the last few they dont deem acceptable that the rest of the process did not catch. They were very critial of all aspects of my history although there wasnt anything really of importance. When I talked with people abut the questions they asked most were quite amused. Like the job i held off the books when i was a teenager. Or the ticket i received for speeding in 1994. Stuff like that. Remain calm and explain yourself and be respectfull. You should be fine. Unless there are hidden skeletons they have uncovered and are seeing if you are truthful about them.
            Well glad it worked out for you...wish you well too isler45!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TruGuardian View Post
              Oh, and also... when you say "DMV styled" eye test. Are saying, there was a chartr on the wall and you stood at a distance(10Ft or more) and read of the chart? If so, that was much different than my site, where we looked through a machine with different slides, colors, and patterns. You are indeed left in the mercy of the staff! When they checked my BP, it was high...I told the nurse she is using the wrong cuff size, cuz my arms are larger. It came out extremely high, so she tried again using the larger cuff...but she put it on extremely tight. I'm like miss you put the cuff on too tight, she is like no...I think it's on right. Tries it again and it's less, but still high. She then tries it again, but now putting on the cuff appropriately. The BP drops 40 digits. *SMH*
              We had the machine as well for they eye test. You are right, I don't think they use them at the DMV anymore.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                Is this to appeal a DQ? Or is this part of the normal process (evaluation board)?
                I'm also one of the candidates of the cancelled January 2011 class. Just want to let everyone know that not all candidates will go through the evaluation board review. I don't know why but I went straight from Psychological Interview to Pre-Appointment Medical just like Kabbage.
                Exam 2005/ 45-722
                Rank: Low 4000
                Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

                Comment


                • Received PT test date and background packet in mail today. Test is Tuesday August 28th at 10am in Cohoes at the Academy. Will meet with background investigator same day.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Swartz319 View Post
                    Received PT test date and background packet in mail today. Test is Tuesday August 28th at 10am in Cohoes at the Academy. Will meet with background investigator same day.
                    Nice that you're moving along. I wonder if a candidate usually meets with the BI after the PAT or if this is an exception.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                      Nice that you're moving along. I wonder if a candidate usually meets with the BI after the PAT or if this is an exception.
                      Thanks. Thought it was strange to meet with the BI right after the PT test, but saves me the extra 5 hour drive back to meet them if it was a later date. Right now I'm gathering all info for the background packetMaybe will ask for that at a later date.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Max 1618 View Post
                        The actual exam was about 30 minutes but there was about 2 hours of waiting.
                        WOW 2 hours.... they must have been more on the ball today. My appointment time was 9:30. I arrived in the building by about 9:10, and had to wait in line until about 9:50, once I was inside the room it was fast! I was done no later than 10:30, but they were re-testing a lot of the guys for BP. Mine was extremely higher than normal, I know I was nervous, but I'm normally 110/60 - their machine claimed i was like 149/70 (or maybe even higher)! But everything else was fine - height was with no shoes and she wrote down exact height, no rounding up or down. Got the letter to come back on 9/6 for full med. All of the guys I saw had full suits on, the women - not so much. Overall it seemed pretty relaxed.

                        Comment


                        • I to passed and will be going back on 9/6, I will say their BP machine is way off.... I had to sit and relax and have it taken manually to pass. I know it was a little high for being kind of nervous but I was in stroke range... LOL I just wore my suit pants, shirt and tie. Nobody said anything to me and it was pretty fast. I ask the lady doing the BP how many people have showed this week and she said not as many as they expected or in the past.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jontot View Post
                            I'm also one of the candidates of the cancelled January 2011 class. Just want to let everyone know that not all candidates will go through the evaluation board review. I don't know why but I went straight from Psychological Interview to Pre-Appointment Medical just like Kabbage.

                            Hey Jontot,

                            Long time no hear. How have you been and what's new? You can PM me if you want.
                            Last edited by Cravan; 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by FutureCtOfr View Post
                              I havent been on in awhile. Like Cravan i am also 1 of the members of the cancelled class still hanging in limbo. To answer your question on the review board. Be prepared to get question'd on everything in your past. They will give you the riot act about all the little things in your past. I remember going for my review board and we sat in an area and they took us 1 at a time. Several people just came out shaking their heads saying that was it and 1 woman came out crying. Be prepared to explain anything that may have happened in your past. And try not to let them rattle you. This is your last test. And for the love of god make sure you are wearing a suit and tie.

                              What's up Future? Where have you been and what's new? You can PM me if you want.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                                For all of you waiting for the call, keep this in mind: As short handed as the Courts are, the retirements continue. I know of one command losing 3 more officers to retirement in the next few weeks. The tipping point for operational safety is about to come over the horizon.

                                Thanks for the heads up, Dinosaur. It's all a waiting game at this point. I am confident that the OCA will have a new recruit class after the next budget is passed.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11559 users online. 282 members and 11277 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X