Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
    Hey Civil,

How are you? A person who has a lower rank than you does have a better shot at getting hired. For example, let's say your rank is 5000 and another candidate's rank is 4999, OCA will hire that person first if a class were to happen, granted that both of you are processed and ready for hire within the same JD(s). In other words, if OCA needs 100 new recruits for a class in NYC and the 100th person's rank is 4999, they will pick that person. You would have to wait until OCA hires another NYC recruit class to get the job. I hope this helps.
    I have heard conflicting info...Someone else stated there was a separate list and ranking once you start processing. For example I have a ranking of 52xx and passed the PAT on the first try but candidate Y ranked 51xx failed on first attempt but passed PAT on second try (which would be 90 days later). I was told that would put me ahead of that candidate on the new list.

Did someone from OCA tell you this?

Comment

• Here is the reachable scores....

NYC rank # 2648 - score 91.7

3rd JD rank # 5787 - score 88.3

4th JD rank # 7889 - score 86.6

5th JD rank # 7889 - score 86.6

6th JD rank # 7889 - score 86.6

8th JD rank # 4034 - score 90.0

9th JD rank # 2648 - score 91.7

10th JD (Suffolk Only) rank # 2648 - score 91.7

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
        I have heard conflicting info...Someone else stated there was a separate list and ranking once you start processing. For example I have a ranking of 52xx and passed the PAT on the first try but candidate Y ranked 51xx failed on first attempt but passed PAT on second try (which would be 90 days later). I was told that would put me ahead of that candidate on the new list.

Did someone from OCA tell you this?

Hey Civil,

My investigator told me that hiring goes by rank order. I am not aware of a separate list once a candidate starts processing. I am aware of a separate ready to hire list once a candidate successfully finishes the screening process.

I had a friend of mine who finished the screening process about 6 months before me and he had a higher rank number than me. After I finished the screening process and OCA started calling people for the Jan 6, 2011 academy, they called me before him because I have a lower rank number than him. I believe my rank number is only about 20 points lower than his.

Comment

Hey Civil,

My investigator told me that hiring goes by rank order. I am not aware of a separate list once a candidate starts processing. I am aware of a separate ready to hire list once a candidate successfully finishes the screening process.

I had a friend of mine who finished the screening process about 6 months before me and he had a higher rank number than me. After I finished the screening process and OCA started calling people for the Jan 6, 2011 academy, they called me before him because I have a lower rank number than him. I believe my rank number is only about 20 points lower than his.
          Thanks for the info Cravan!

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
            Thanks for the info Cravan!
            You're welcome Civil.

Comment

Cool. I wanted to be a Parole Officer, but NYS parole have not hired officers since 2008. All of you guys/gals who work with NY state are in a great position because you can transfer over your pension and time once you become a Court Officer.
              Hey Cravan,
              I wanted to be a parole officer too, but didn't have the necessary degree, so I have been back in school part time for a few years, I'm glad it's taken this long now because the parole system has changed so much, especially since merging with DOCS, that it's really not worth the struggle anymore! From what I've heard from others court officer is the way to go!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1sweetworld View Post
                Hey Cravan,
                I wanted to be a parole officer too, but didn't have the necessary degree, so I have been back in school part time for a few years, I'm glad it's taken this long now because the parole system has changed so much, especially since merging with DOCS, that it's really not worth the struggle anymore! From what I've heard from others court officer is the way to go!
                Hey 1sweetworld,

I've also heard that since NYS Parole merged with NYS DOC the job has not been the same. I've been trying to get a NYS Parole Officer job since 2006, but I did not have 3 years of casework experience. Now that I do have the experience, parole is not hiring. I'd rather work as a Court Officer now because it's a safer job. I have a family to care for and I'm not getting any younger. Furthermore, I am not sure how long discretionary parole in NYS is going to last. If I am not mistaken, there is only 16 states in America that utilize discretionary parole. The rehabilitation model is diminishing and the get tough on criminals model (just deserts) is taking over.

Comment

• Greetings all,

New user and first post. I scored a 95 on the Court Officer exam and rank 3** and was canvassed for the 8th district. Passed pre screening and have full medical on 7/24. Very excited to get this process going. I am a little curious about the pt test, does anyone know what is considered passing for certain exercises? Example: for situps is 38 in a min passing just like police officer pt test, the pace of the metronome beat, how many pull ups, etc..

Thanks in advance for any responses and good luck to everyone else going through the process!
                  Last edited by Swartz319; 07-14-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swartz319 View Post
                    Greetings all,

New user and first post. I scored a 95 on the Court Officer exam and rank 3** and was canvassed for the 8th district. Passed pre screening and have full medical on 7/24. Very excited to get this process going. I am a little curious about the pt test, does anyone know what is considered passing for certain exercises? Example: for situps is 38 in a min passing just like police officer pt test, the pace of the metronome beat, how many pull ups, etc..

Thanks in advance for any responses and good luck to everyone else going through the process!

Greetings Swartz,

Welcome to the forum and congrats. When I took the PAT years ago, OCA never told me what was passing or not. They told me that all the exercises were added up cumulatively. For example, you could not do so well on a certain exercise and still pass the PAT if you do well on others. Maybe other candidates who recently took the PAT have more informative information.

I would encourage you to study and practice the exercises below. Good luck and keep me posted on how things go.

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/...ity-test.shtml

Comment

• Took PAT last year, it is not fully cumulative, but it is cumulative in sections. (Arm strength, leg endurance, xxx/ leg strength, arm endurance, xxx) etc.etc.

Also, I haven't checked the score list since I first saw my grade, but wowwww at the range of people scoring 95. I got a 95 and am ranked in the mid 500s.

Comment

• Thank you for the response. The exercises do look easy to complete no problem. I passed the Erie county pt test last year no problem as well, so this seems like a walk in the park. Just was wondering if finding out exact details for each excercise was possible so I could run mock trials of this pt test. They will give me a date for the pt test after my medical and will update that information if anyone who reads this thread was wondering how long after the medical is the pt test.

Comment

• Likely 1-2 months, I feel like that was kinda the spacing between most of the appointments. It doesn't look difficult on paper, but nearly every exercise is 100% exertion aside from the step test, arm hand steadiness and in some respects the situps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabbage View Post
                            Likely 1-2 months, I feel like that was kinda the spacing between most of the appointments. It doesn't look difficult on paper, but nearly every exercise is 100% exertion aside from the step test, arm hand steadiness and in some respects the situps.
                            How fast was the step test? I'm trying to train for that but don't know how fast the pace would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swartz319 View Post
                              How fast was the step test? I'm trying to train for that but don't know how fast the pace would be.
                              Welcome to the process. I have heard it is between 80 and 90 BPM for the metronome, and if you search this thread I know there has been discussion in the past (If you haven't already). OCA won't tell us exactly what the speed is.

1-2 months between steps sounds about right for me too. Good Luck!

Comment

• I was looking at the paperwork for individuals who passed the PAT. I printed the instructions so that I could draft up the paperwork ahead of time (in hopes that I make it that far). But does anyone know where to get a list of past license plates for 5 years? I have been trying to call the DMV, but reaching anyone there is like asking for a miracle! I think I know my past plates, but would hate to have something missing if they really need it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10815 users online. 375 members and 10440 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X