Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negativity always sets in when there is a lot of waiting going on. For those who don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with this job, move on and do something else with your life. I was told that there will be NO academies for 2012, but 2013 looks promising for either Jan or April. People are being canvassed and are going through the hiring process because when the academies do open up they will have people ready to go. There is reason to be optimistic and to not give up. Look NY State Troopers just opened their academy after three years of not having any. NYS Corrections are canvassing and having people going through the hiring process. All reasons to be optimistic and to continue to be patient. I for one am not giving up on this job. So for the ones who have faith continue to stay in shape and don't get into trouble. You will get the job if it is meant to be. For those who are now coming on here to be "real", just keep to yourselves. You are not helping just to come on here and vent negativity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max 1618 View Post
      Ok, I just got canvassed for 3,4,5 and 6. I placed 5 as my first choice and 6 as my second. I declined both 3 and 4 so you guys can fight over those. This is going to be a hard decission as I am currently a peace officer with NYS OMH and have a 25 and out retirement (I will be 56). Unified is still 30/55. I would take a pay cut from Roughly $60K (W/OT) to $39K for 2 years. Unified does top out at $67K and is a Mon-Fri gig with holidays off (That would be nice). Still up in the air about what to do. :S
      Hey Max,

Court Officers top out at $72,529 after their second longevity. That is not bad for a job that only requires a high school diploma. Anyhow, check out this pay scale, a court officer is JG-18.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6...ryschedule.pdf

Comment

• Max,

The first link I sent you does not work. Try this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
          I agree with max everything takes time in ny state. It took me 2 years to get on with the sheriffs department I work at and I scored a 95 on that test. Some people waited longer. This job is worth it, I'l wait 10 years if it takes that long to get hired. The hours and quality of life is unheard of in LE trust me. All correction officers and police officers will agree with me on that I promise
          Hey CorbsUSN,

When did you get your sheriff gig?
          Last edited by Cravan; 06-09-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Greetings, this question is for Cravan. What did you score on the the CO test you got called for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
              Max,

The first link I sent you does not work. Try this one.

Craven, Yes the top pay is sweet. I just dont like the 30 years. I am an old timer (36). Well old time as a LEO. I was talking to safetyman and he said that OMH and OCA work together with guys transfering. I will jump on board if the chance comes along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Safetyman View Post
                Greetings, this question is for Cravan. What did you score on the the CO test you got called for?
                I scored an 86.

Comment

Hey CorbsUSN,

When did you get your sheriff gig?
                  Cravan,
                  I got hired early 2010 right after this co test was administered. I love my job and love helping people but I would jump ship to for the court gig. I know a couple and they all love it. Say it's best job in LE and I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max 1618 View Post
                    Craven, Yes the top pay is sweet. I just dont like the 30 years. I am an old timer (36). Well old time as a LEO. I was talking to safetyman and he said that OMH and OCA work together with guys transfering. I will jump on board if the chance comes along.
                    Don't feel bad Max, I am also in my mid 30's, lol. Getting a job in law enforcement would be a career change for me. I have worked in the social service field for most of my working career. I have been trying to obtain a job with NYS Parole, but they have been on a hiring freeze since 2008. I personally don't mind working 30 more years, just as long as I get a living wage pension. I too will fall under tier 4 if I get hired for this job because I used to work for NYC and can transfer my time and pension over.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
                      Cravan,
                      I got hired early 2010 right after this co test was administered. I love my job and love helping people but I would jump ship to for the court gig. I know a couple and they all love it. Say it's best job in LE and I agree.
                      Okay, cool.

Comment

• Hey there fellas, you are in good company. I got my job with OMH in my mid thirties as well. I most likely will try to make 30 years even though we can leave at 25 yrs. I have a little city time which I'm buying back.

Comment

• Guys, Thanks for the insight and support. Lets just keep our heads up and keep the bodies in shape. I would hate to get the ball rollin' and mess up my physical agility test. I was planning on crackin out 30 years regaurdless but the option to bail at 25 is nice.

Comment

• Glad to know that we are in good company. By the way, do you guys carry firearms at the OMH?

In my opinion, the P.A.T. is tough. You have to be in good physical shape to pass it. I thought I failed it in 2009. A lot of potential candidates get disqualified during the P.A.T. Good luck.

Comment

• Question for current Court Officers:
                              Do you carry your firearms while off duty? I know a lot of police officers do but I know of a few corrections officers that do not. Just wondering if it was common as a peace officer.

Comment

Glad to know that we are in good company. By the way, do you guys carry firearms at the OMH?

In my opinion, the P.A.T. is tough. You have to be in good physical shape to pass it. I thought I failed it in 2009. A lot of potential candidates get disqualified during the P.A.T. Good luck.
                                No we do NOT carry. It is stupid because we conduct Traffic patrol (V&T) (Parking) and transports to and from hospitals, courts, jails, prisons, ect. ect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10177 users online. 486 members and 9691 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X