Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are asked, be forthright. I'm not sure, but I don't think you are going to be asked about your personal finances. Even so, if you can explain yourself you will be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
      Hey Cravan, I just received my canvass for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th JDs also. Since I live in Suffolk County, I was hoping for something a little closer. My question is should I decide to not accept these JDs would that jeopardize me getting a shot at this job ? Or do you think I will eventually get canvassed for some of the downstate JDs ? Appreciate if you could give me some advice on this, thanks.
      Hey,

I would accept the closest JD(s) and start the process. Who knows when OCA will start canvassing again for downstate NY. You can always ask for a transfer when you get on the job. I hope this helps.

Cravan

Comment

• If u want the job or need a job, take whatever JD they wanna send u. I would much rather be complaining about the job I have than to complaint about not having the job.

Comment

• Ok, I just got canvassed for 3,4,5 and 6. I placed 5 as my first choice and 6 as my second. I declined both 3 and 4 so you guys can fight over those. This is going to be a hard decission as I am currently a peace officer with NYS OMH and have a 25 and out retirement (I will be 56). Unified is still 30/55. I would take a pay cut from Roughly $60K (W/OT) to $39K for 2 years. Unified does top out at $67K and is a Mon-Fri gig with holidays off (That would be nice). Still up in the air about what to do. :S

Comment

• Originally posted by Max 1618 View Post
            Ok, I just got canvassed for 3,4,5 and 6. I placed 5 as my first choice and 6 as my second. I declined both 3 and 4 so you guys can fight over those. This is going to be a hard decission as I am currently a peace officer with NYS OMH and have a 25 and out retirement (I will be 56). Unified is still 30/55. I would take a pay cut from Roughly $60K (W/OT) to $39K for 2 years. Unified does top out at $67K and is a Mon-Fri gig with holidays off (That would be nice). Still up in the air about what to do. :S
            How many years vested in with your current job?

Comment

Ok, I just got canvassed for 3,4,5 and 6. I placed 5 as my first choice and 6 as my second. I declined both 3 and 4 so you guys can fight over those. This is going to be a hard decission as I am currently a peace officer with NYS OMH and have a 25 and out retirement (I will be 56). Unified is still 30/55. I would take a pay cut from Roughly $60K (W/OT) to $39K for 2 years. Unified does top out at $67K and is a Mon-Fri gig with holidays off (That would be nice). Still up in the air about what to do. :S
              I'm in the same field and agency. As you know we just negotiated a new contract. They are also in negotiations for a new contract. After that you can get a better idea where you would fall in the pay scale on a JG 14 line. If you're within the line JG 14 pay scale OCA tries to put you in as close as possible to what you are earning at your State agency. We at OMH have a reciprocal agreement with OCA. Which means we don't start at the bottom and after 2 years we would get a substantial pay increase at a JG 18 line.

Comment

• I telephoned the OCA today and inquired about when the next academy class will take place. I was told that there are rumors circulating right now at the OCA of a new recruit class in April 2013 or earlier. I was also told that there are rumors of a buyout which may not be true.

I almost forgot, the OCA official also stated that this second canvass will be the last for the 2009 exam.
                Last edited by Cravan; 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Safetyman, Where are you located. I am at RPC (Rochester NY). I have 3 years in with OMH and 1 year with OMR. 4 years total in title. NYSCOPBA contract will go through in 24 days bumping up my base rate about 4k. Safetyman are you continuing with OCA or staying with OMH? Best of luck to all of you guys. I know Unified is really hurting for officers upstate right now.

Comment

Safetyman, Where are you located. I am at RPC (Rochester NY). I have 3 years in with OMH and 1 year with OMR. 4 years total in title. NYSCOPBA contract will go through in 24 days bumping up my base rate about 4k. Safetyman are you continuing with OCA or staying with OMH? Best of luck to all of you guys. I know Unified is really hurting for officers upstate right now.
                    I'm in the city, I'm a Sgt. with 11 years on the job. I am still undecided, and waiting to see what their (OCA) contract will bring. OCA will let you carry all of your state time, and sick time over. However, only 70 hours of vacation. O.T. is also available. OCA is hurting all over for officers. It's just the sluggish economy that's got everything on hold. It will pick up soon, just be prepared.

Comment

• I received my canvass letter on 6/2/12 for JD 4. My score was 88.3 with a rank of 5xxx. I talked to a friend of mine, who is a court officer, and was told that the word is for academies starting in Jan or April of 2013. The word though is not written in stone. I am happy to receive the canvass letter and to have the knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. OCA is processing people now so that when they do open the academies they will have people ready to go. So basically for people who got canvassed, get into shape, keep your nose clean and get ready for the hiring process. Congrats to all who got their letters. For the ones that got their class cut in Jan of '11, your time is coming to start your Court Officer career. Looking forward to talk about the process with you all and to get advice from the ones who have completed it.
                      Last edited by TDD57; 05-03-2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• Craven, was the buyout you speak of for JD 7. Thats where I would really like to end up but its all county run

Comment

• Has anyone heard information about OCA going to 25 year retirement? Are CO's still CSEA?
                          Last edited by Max 1618; 06-04-2012, 11:49 PM. Reason: Because

Comment

Craven, was the buyout you speak of for JD 7. Thats where I would really like to end up but its all county run
                            I am not sure, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd57 View Post
                              I received my canvass letter on 6/2/12 for JD 4. My score was 88.3 with a rank of 5004. I talked to a friend of mine, who is a court officer, and was told that the word is for academies starting in Jan or April of 2013. The word though is not written in stone. I am happy to receive the canvass letter and to have the knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. OCA is processing people now so that when they do open the academies they will have people ready to go. So basically for people who got canvassed, get into shape, keep your nose clean and get ready for the hiring process. Congrats to all who got their letters. For the ones that got their class cut in Jan of '11, your time is coming to start your Court Officer career. Looking forward to talk about the process with you all and to get advice from the ones who have completed it.
                              Things are starting to look somewhat promising. I hope we all get this job.

Comment

Has anyone heard information about OCA going to 25 year retirement? Are CO's still CSEA?
                                I haven't heard anything about 25 year retirement. Remember at 25 you only get 50% of your final average salary, where as 30 years give you 60% of your FAS. It makes a subtantial difference for retirement. However, this also depends on what is more impotant at the time and your finances.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6397 users online. 333 members and 6064 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X