X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
    New York Passes 2nd Straight On-Time Budget

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — They did it again.

New York’s Senate and Assembly passed the state’s second straight on-time budget.

The $132.5 billion budget was negotiated by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Senate Republican and Assembly’s Democratic majorities. It increases spending by 1.9 percent and addresses a nearly $2 billion deficit.

The budget was due by midnight Saturday and will guide state operations through the 20102-13 fiscal year.

The legislation includes a 4 percent increase for schools and for the Medicaid healthcare system.

One of Cuomo’s wins is the $16 billion “New York Works” program intended to create jobs and repair infrastructure.

i'm not too sure what this means. Didn't OCA put there own budget proposal forth a few months ago which didn't allow for much hiring?

Comment

• This means that the OCA's budget was approved without incident or surprises. Maybe the OCA will have wiggle room to hire some Court Officers. Nothing is set in stone.

Remember this line from the OCA’s budget, “While the total size of the court system’s non-judicial workforce will decrease further, the budget will allow the courts to fill a few critical operational positions that maximize the efficiency of the courts.”

Let's hope that this line refers to Court Officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
        Does anybody know if a history of a sports hernia is enough to dq someone medically from the job?
        Greetings,

It is up to the OCA's medical professionals to determine a person's medical eligibility.

Comment

• I would imagine there has to be a decent amount of officers retiring each year, I don't see how much longer they can go without hiring. When is the new academy supposed to open? Hopefully they will have a huge class when it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by isler45 View Post
            I would imagine there has to be a decent amount of officers retiring each year, I don't see how much longer they can go without hiring. When is the new academy supposed to open? Hopefully they will have a huge class when it does.
            There are several Court Officers retiring. Furthermore, there have been recent Court Officer promotions which are positive signs of a new academy class. The new academy was supposed to open in late 2012, but it seems like it will probably open in 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walo View Post
              Not to sound like a jerk, but if someone is going to wait 5 years for a job, a little more incentive than "you'll see how good it is once (if) you get in" would be nice.
              Its still one of the best LE jobs out there. I waited 5+ years by the way. I won't go into too much detail but the pay is good, benefits, still some sort of retirement and the work itself is good. You should be taking every test...NYPD, FDNY, MTAPD whatever..just get in. Look at what has happend with NCPD...at least the courts are still processing and there is no salary freeze or court closures.

As far as hiring....we need people! I am hoping to bring news of a class soon. According to NY LAW journal OCA will be loosening OT restrictions....promotions have been made, PATs are running again....all good signs. Keep the faith boys and girls!
              http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
              NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

There are several Court Officers retiring. Furthermore, there have been recent Court Officer promotions which are positive signs of a new academy class. The new academy was supposed to open in late 2012, but it seems like it will probably open in 2013.
                Caravan whats that do for hopefuls like you who are still on the list from 2005? Are you still getting the job or are you gonna have to test again?

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
                  Caravan whats that do for hopefuls like you who are still on the list from 2005? Are you still getting the job or are you gonna have to test again?
                  Hey,

According to the OCA, candidates from the 2005 exam who were supposed to get in the 1/06/11 recruit class are first in line for the next academy. We do not have to take another exam because we are ready for hire and no longer on an eligible list. I did take the 2009 exam as per my investigator, just in case.

Comment

• http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/Pub...nts&slreturn=1

ALBANY - Passage of the 2012-13 Judiciary budget will allow administrators to ease restrictions on overtime, according to Chief Administrative Judge A. Gail Prudenti.

Prudenti said administrative judges soon will be provided with particulars about the less-rigid restrictions, along with instructions to restore weekend arraignments to their original hours in the New York City courts and to keep court offices open until 5 p.m. She declined to provide additional details.

Although the courthouses have remained open until 5 p.m., the courtrooms and some offices, such as court clerk offices, have been shutting down at 4:30 p.m. to ensure that workers would be off the clock by 5 p.m.

The limits on overtime and court hours resulted from budget cuts in the 2011-2012 fiscal year and proved controversial, with lawyers and judges complaining about the reduced hours and abrupt endings to trial days. However, by cutting overtime roughly in half, the court system was able to save millions of dollars.

Officials have said overtime will continue to be restricted substantially, but with some leeway so the court functions that most impact on the public—such as the hours in which court offices are open, weekend arraignments and small claims courts—will largely be restored.

The weekend arraignment hours varied among the boroughs. For instance, before the cutbacks up to 35 hours were allotted for weekend arraignments in the Bronx. That was rolled back to 19 hours, but then increased to about 25 hours late in 2011 due to concerns over delays in the time between arrest and arraignment.

It was unclear to what extent overtime and court hours would be extended, but Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman has referred to an effort to "round the edges and ease the impact on the public of the budget cuts" of last fiscal year.

At a budget hearing in January, several legislators raised concern over the 4:30 p.m. closing time and reduced hours for weekend arraignments and small claims court (NYLJ, Jan. 31), some indicating that they had heard complaints from constituents.

The Judiciary budget for the 2012-2013 fiscal year, which began April 1, was approved by the Legislature on March 30 without revision.

The $2.3 billion spending plan cuts spending by .15 percent while providing funding for the first judicial raises in 13 years. It also includes $25 million—double the amount spent in the 2011-2012 fiscal year—for a civil legal services initiative that assists non-profit providers.

@|John Caher can be contacted at [email protected].

Comment

• Greetings all,

Can you believe that it is already April 1, 2012? Time has really gone by. It has been been over 1 year since the indefinite postponement of the 1/06/11 recruit class.

It seems like things are slowly returning back to normal at the courts. Hopefully another recruit class is in the works this year. In the meantime, explore other career options because life is very unpredictable.

Good luck & God bless
                      Last edited by Cravan; 04-01-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Hey,

According to the OCA, candidates from the 2005 exam who were supposed to get in the 1/06/11 recruit class are first in line for the next academy. We do not have to take another exam because we are ready for hire and no longer on an eligible list. I did take the 2009 exam as per my investigator, just in case.
                        What about passing another medical? what if those who are on the list are no longer qualified medically? Is OCA going to hire them then? what if those on the list failed to notify their investigator about any changes? if they didnt follow the rules set forth would it mean disqualification? just thinking out loud
                        Last edited by sadsack; 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sadsack View Post
                          What about passing another medical? what if those who are on the list are no longer qualified medically? Is OCA going to hire them then? what if those on the list failed to notify their investigator about any changes? if they didnt follow the rules set forth would it mean disqualification? just thinking out loud
                          The OCA will not hire us if we do not meet the qualifications for the pre-appointment medical exam. They sent us an email and letter stating that we have to notify our investigators of any injuries, changes in employment, arrests, address, and marital status. Basically, we have to stay in shape and out of trouble. Unfortunately, that is how law enforcement works. It is a gamble.
                          Last edited by Cravan; 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Found out today that a guy ,who I work with, is going into the NY State Police academy on April 22nd. He was all set to go in three years ago, but got told of the freeze of the academy. His story reminds me of the cancelled Court Officer class of 1/6/11 and now with the news that the State PD is doing academies maybe OCA will have one. This news is a little light at the end of the tunnel with the State's hiring freezes being let up. Who knows but maybe OCA has made room for a couple of academies for the future. We just need to have faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd57 View Post
                              Found out today that a guy ,who I work with, is going into the NY State Police academy on April 22nd. He was all set to go in three years ago, but got told of the freeze of the academy. His story reminds me of the cancelled Court Officer class of 1/6/11 and now with the news that the State PD is doing academies maybe OCA will have one. This news is a little light at the end of the tunnel with the State's hiring freezes being let up. Who knows but maybe OCA has made room for a couple of academies for the future. We just need to have faith.
                              Hey Todd,

That is great news for that guy at your job. Three years is a long time, but I guess it was worth the wait. The reality is that these jobs have to hire eventually. People retire, get promoted, or leave for another job.

The state is really hiring. NYS plans to have 17 Correctional Officer classes and at least 1 Parole Officer class this fiscal year. I was sent a letter asking if I am still interested in a Parole Officer position. I took that exam in 2008 and then, the freeze was imposed. Just like you've stated, "we just need to have faith."
                              Last edited by Cravan; 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Hey all,

The results of the March 21, 2012, PAT is posted on the OCA's website. Many first time test takers qualified and most re-testers did not. The ball is rolling ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11121 users online. 485 members and 10636 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X