300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    The problem here is that with tight financial times, OCA is not maintaining the level of security it has in the past. Even with that caveat, OCA probably invests more resources in court security than any other state. Most state court systems do not have their own law enforcement arm. That is usually supplied on a contract type basis by a Sheriff's Office or a PD. It is the number of Court Officers, their training and dedication that keeps NY's Courts from the havoc we see in other jurisdictions.
    Okay, thx for the information.

Comment

• Originally posted by redstormgsr View Post
      sit back stay out of trouble and your time will come.........i took the test in '05 and was hired in '10...... best job you could ever be lucky enough to have!!!!!!
      Hey,

What makes the job so great in your opinion? Thx

Comment

• I took the test back in 2009, still waiting... So do you think it's worth the wait? And what Cravan said... Thanks

Comment

• I can only say that you will find out once you get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by redstormgsr View Post
            I can only say that you will find out once you get in.
            Not to sound like a jerk, but if someone is going to wait 5 years for a job, a little more incentive than "you'll see how good it is once (if) you get in" would be nice.
            xx

Comment

• At least you guys have these forums to gather info from. Us olduns (unless you knew someone) went in totally blind
              Last edited by soon2retire; 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM.
              RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Court Officers still have regular hours. For the most part you are indoors in a controlled environment. You work with a large number of co-workers, not solo patrols or one partner. Generally the work atmosphere is lot better than most other LE jobs. I know the morale right now is not the best it could bee, but the Courts have been through periods like this in the past and made it through.

Comment

• Battle Lines Drawn Between N.Y. Government, Public Workers Over Pension Reform

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The intense battle raging in Albany to reform public worker pensions was joined Tuesday by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a bipartisan coalition of local officials who say pensions are choking their budgets and must be slashed.

There is no more dramatic example of the effect of ballooning pension costs than the fact that Nassau County is being force to close four out of its eight police precincts, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that’s just the beginning, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

“Cities and counties in this state could go bankrupt,” Cuomo said Tuesday.

And nobody knows that better than Mayor Bloomberg.

“We are all facing a ticking time bomb,” he said.

The mayor, who is leading the coalition of local officials to push the Legislature to pass pension reform, said that the current $8 billion pension tab for New York City workers eats up the entire amount collected in city income taxes, and it will get even bigger unless there are pension changes for new workers.

“Over the past decade pension costs have increased more than 600 percent in New York City. In Nassau county pensions have increased 865 percent. In Suffolk the growth has been 904 percent,” Bloomberg said.

And think about this: what if the cost of a Long Island Rail Road ticket increased at the same rate as pension costs?

“The price of a one-way ticket from Huntington to Penn Station, which is now $13.50 at rush hour, would be $125,” Bloomberg said.

Under the plan being pushed by the governor and mayor all new employees would:

* Pay a little more into their own pension plans

* Have the option of a 401K plan

* Retire at 65 instead of 55

* Be unable to pad their pensions by working overtime

The public employees unions are vehemently opposing the plan, making their arguments with radio ads like the one being run by the New York City Correction officers.

“They’re trying to force us to accept a 401K plan that failed on Wall Street not more than two years ago. We will not sit idly by and allow the governor, the mayor, the legislators or anyone else to take away our right that we have fought for and deserve,” the ad says.

Pension reform, which affects only new hires, would save the city $30 billion over 30 years. Statewide, it would save $80 billion.

Comment

• Hey everyone,

Please call 877.255.9417 to voice your opinion about pension reform to Gov. Cuomo, your state senator, and assembly person.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      Court Officers still have regular hours. For the most part you are indoors in a controlled environment. You work with a large number of co-workers, not solo patrols or one partner. Generally the work atmosphere is lot better than most other LE jobs. I know the morale right now is not the best it could bee, but the Courts have been through periods like this in the past and made it through.
                      Hey Dino,

Guys like you make me want this job even more. Thanks for all your support and information.

Comment

• Union Workers Rally In Albany As Pension Reform Fight Continues

Albany's legislative leaders held their first budget conference meeting on Tuesday, indicating that the state's fiscal plan could be nearly complete, but some sticking points including pension reform could threaten an early budget. NY1's Zack Fink filed the following report.

A new TV ad from New York Leaders For Pension Reform says there will be layoffs of public employees and higher taxes without the creation of a new pension tier for state workers.

It also says, "Democratic and Republican mayors and county executives from across New York have come together to support Governor [Andrew] Cuomo's pension reform proposal."

Last week, the state AFL-CIO pulled its own ads attacking Cuomo's Tier VI pension plan, but it has since begun running them again.

Meanwhile, the state capitol was flooded Tuesday with public workers opposed to Tier VI.

"We would hope that the governor understands that the working class of New York State voted for this here governor to be our voice here in Albany," said Charles Jenkins of Transport Workers Union Local 100

The most contentious part of the governor's plan is a defined contribution plan, often compared to a 401k, as an option for new hires.

More than 1,000 firefighters held a Tuesday rally outside the capitol to protest Tier VI. They are particularly upset about the defined contribution component, which they don't believe offers enough protections.

"If they want to have a 401k style pension, what they are saying, in effect, is that New York City firefighters and firefighters across the state will pull up to burning buildings and say 'What if? What if I'm killed today? What if I'm severely injured? Who's going to take care of my family?' That's bad for public safety," said Steve Cassidy of the Uniform Firefighters Association.

State Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos indicated that there is still room for compromise.

"It seems to be that the movement is away from defined contribution and that there would be some kind of pension reform. I think we are too tied to the words 'Tier VI,'" said Skelos.

Legislative committees and subcommittees will begin considering the budget on Wednesday. Legislative leaders hope to stick to this timetable and potentially have a completed budget by the end of next week, which would be the earliest completed state budget in recent memory.

The state budget is due on April 1.

Comment

• Hey everyone,

Please call 877.255.9417 to voice your opinion about pension reform to Gov. Cuomo, your state senator, and assembly person.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Comment

• It doesn't look like the Courts is going to put a class in anytime soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgtforlife50 View Post
                              It doesn't look like the Courts is going to put a class in anytime soon
                              From everything that I have read, I am inclined to agree. Does anyone know the status of the 29 (i think that is the number) Court Officers who were slated to be laid off last year but were saved by one of the unions and their welfare fund? iirc they were covered until June 1st 2012. Add those 29 to the 50 or so from the postponed class of Jan 2011 and it looks like a long wait for those of us after that, especially for someone like me who is processing for Suffolk.

On the bright side, they are building a new academy, due to be completed in 2013 last I saw. So eventually they will hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgtforlife50 View Post
                                It doesn't look like the Courts is going to put a class in anytime soon
                                Wow, its not looking very promising. When is the next exam? This is like a Wes Craven novel, just non stop horror.
                                Last edited by sadsack; 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9052 users online. 282 members and 8770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X