X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pols pitch pricey pension sweetener

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/p...pLgLZdJGFPmrcL

Comment

• New York State Court Officers Association Seeks to Enjoin Application of Unconstitutional State Law

NEW YORK, Jan. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The New York State Court Officers Association ("Association") filed suit today in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York to protect the constitutional rights of the Association and its current and retired members.

New legislation - Chapter 491 of the N.Y. Laws of 2011 - improperly permits the State to unilaterally change the Association's collective-bargaining agreement and to implement one-sided cuts to health-insurance and prescription drug benefits that Association members and their families have been receiving for nearly 28 years. The State has used this new law to reduce its share of the payments towards health-insurance premiums in direct violation of the rights of the Association and its members. The lawsuit filed today, which the Association brought under the Contracts Clause and Due Process Clause of the United States Constitution, seeks to stop the State from employing this law to make changes that should be the subject of collective bargaining with the union.

Dennis Quirk, President of the Association, explained, "The consequences of the State's reduction of its share of these premiums should not be underestimated -- the recruitment of new court officers could be adversely affected while existing court officers may need to consider other employment options. We are therefore deeply concerned about the chilling effect that these cuts likely will have upon the access to and use of the Courts by all New Yorkers. We are simply seeking for the State to honor its commitments and make any changes through the collective bargaining process."

James E. Tyrrell, Jr., a partner at Patton Boggs LLP and the lead attorney for the Association in this case, added, "The Contracts Clause exists in the U.S. Constitution to protect against just this type of self-interested State action. If States had free reign to enact legislation impairing and redefining the terms of their own contracts, public employees' rights to collective bargaining would be rendered meaningless."

Comment

• Hey Jontot,

I sent you a PM.

Comment

• Hey caravan do you know if it's possible that the state would extend the eligibility of 2009's test because of the hiring freeze? I heard that they are doing that with the state trooper exam and I'm hoping they will for the courts. The reason I ask is I'm in the reserves and I'm deploying in June for a year. When I get back the eligibility list will only be good for another year and for this process that's not a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
            Hey caravan do you know if it's possible that the state would extend the eligibility of 2009's test because of the hiring freeze? I heard that they are doing that with the state trooper exam and I'm hoping they will for the courts. The reason I ask is I'm in the reserves and I'm deploying in June for a year. When I get back the eligibility list will only be good for another year and for this process that's not a long time.
            They will extend the eligibility of 2009's exam. My 2005 exam eligibility was extended. Good luck on your deployment.

Cravan

Comment

• They have extended the life of a list in the past. Agencies incurquite an expense to create a new test. Hard to justify when you have an available, untapped list. For those of you on the list, if you hang in there, the good news is that more and more people will drop out of the running. If there is another buy-out and OCA opts in, I sense there will be another rush for the door.

Comment

• Thanks caravan. I hope they do it only seems fair. As far as a buyout I'm sure that if they offer the life time benefits at a minimal cost, mainly health insurance, I'm sure many people will jump on that. Insurance prices will sky rocket in the next 30 years. Before you know it baby boomers will be crowding hospitals and nursing homes. What would you guys think of maybe a pension compromise?Don't take away the early retirement, law enforcement needs it, offer 55 retire with 25% and matching 401k and benefits for life? I'm already in the pension system at tier 5 but I think that would be fair. Offering just a 401k with the way the stock market is today is bs. I'm not even gonna gonna touch the retirement age. 65 in law enforcement? No way not to possibly die of a stress related heart attack at 70.
                Last edited by CorbsUSN; 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• You guys have to understand ....you are not dead at sixty. I've seen any number of old hairbags who could handle themselves as the younguns. You read about all the NYPD guys bailing out at 20...but age isn't the reason. Pension protection is a large factor. Your pensions were never subject to default.

Comment

• You're welcome CorbsUSN. Most older people in law enforcement are usually top brass or work an administrative gig.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      You guys have to understand ....you are not dead at sixty. I've seen any number of old hairbags who could handle themselves as the younguns. You read about all the NYPD guys bailing out at 20...but age isn't the reason. Pension protection is a large factor. Your pensions were never subject to default.
                      Hey Dino,

Why aren't court officers' pensions subject to default?

Comment

• State pensions are not subject to the same provisions as NYC pensions. Once you vest, the pension is yours. Even if you are convicted of a crime involving acts done on-duty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                          State pensions are not subject to the same provisions as NYC pensions. Once you vest, the pension is yours. Even if you are convicted of a crime involving acts done on-duty.
                          Wow, that is good to know. People who work for NYC are always paranoid about losing their pension.

Comment

• Hey Jontot,

The extension was passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                              Hey Jontot,

The extension was passed.
                              Thanks Cravan. I got the article you PM me. So do you think our UI will run until June this year? I hope they call us back this Summer.
                              Exam 2005/ 45-722
                              Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                              Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

Comment

• I just got a letter for my oral psychological. Nice to see they didn't totally forget about me. Anyone care to let me know what I should expect?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8221 users online. 186 members and 8035 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X