• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
    Hey Snapper,

I answered my own question.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6...ryschedule.pdf
    Are there are COLA (Cost of Living Adjustments) raises as well as these incremental raises?

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
      Are there are COLA (Cost of Living Adjustments) raises as well as these incremental raises?
      Hey Civil,

I am not sure. Perhaps one of the current or retired guys could answer that question.

Comment

• No COLA while working. Only when retired a certain amount of time-see link. While employed you get the increments in the salary schedule and any negotiated contract raises. http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/re...t.htm#whatisit
        Last edited by soon2retire; 01-15-2012, 09:20 AM.
        RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

• Originally posted by soon2retire View Post
          No COLA while working. Only when retired a certain amount of time-see link. While employed you get the increments in the salary schedule and any negotiated contract raises. http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/re...t.htm#whatisit
          At least you get it when retired. Not bad.

Comment

Last edited by CorbsUSN; 08-02-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
              Hi to all court officer's and court officer hopefuls. I found this forum when I was trying to find information on the job and the hiring process. I took exam in 2009 and received a rank of 158 score 96.7. My initial thought was as long as I pass all phases of the hiring process that I would get a the job. Now I'm not to sure. Im looking for an duties in 4th, 5th, or 6th judicial district. Anybody know if you can even start at courts in these areas or do you have to start in NYC/downstate area first. Also I'm wondering if they have even had one academy from the 09 exam
              Welcome to the forum CorbsUSN:
              You are able to start in those JDs. The list lasts for up to 5 years and you will most likely be canvassed once hiring resumes. And there has not been an academy from the 09 exam as of this date.

Good luck and with a ranking that high I would be shocked if you are never canvassed.

Comment

Last edited by CorbsUSN; 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorbsUSN View Post
                  Hi to all court officer's and court officer hopefuls. I found this forum when I was trying to find information on the job and the hiring process. I took exam in 2009 and received a rank of 158 score 96.7. My initial thought was as long as I pass all phases of the hiring process that I would get a the job. Now I'm not to sure. Im looking for an duties in 4th, 5th, or 6th judicial district. Anybody know if you can even start at courts in these areas or do you have to start in NYC/downstate area first. Also I'm wondering if they have even had one academy from the 09 exam
                  Greetings CorbsUSN:

You have done extremely well on the exam. You will definitely get a call from OCA once they start canvassing candidates from your specified judicial districts.

If you chose judicial districts in NYC/downstate, you would probably be finished with the screening process.

While you are deployed, you should call or email OCA periodically to find out when they will start canvassing candidates from your specified judicial districts. Furthermore, you can always check the forums and OCA's training recruit site for further details.

Good luck

Comment

• DiNapoli: Economic View Shaky As Cuomo Prepares Budget

ALBANY, NY (AP / CBSNewYork) - As Gov. Andrew Cuomo plans to present his budget proposal for the coming fiscal year, a state financial report shows the boomlet that appeared briefly in the spring has fizzled.

State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said in his quarterly “cash report” that state tax revenues were up 8.6 percent. But that’s compared to a low 2010 figure, deeper in the recession, and revenues were much stronger earlier in the year compared to December.

In the first fiscal quarter, revenues were more than $700 million ahead of the same period in 2010, but DiNpaoli and Cuomo warned to expect a bumpy ride the rest of 2011.

“A stronger recovery has slowed. It hasn’t stopped, but it’s slower than we’d like,” DiNapoli said in an interview. “We are still in a very sluggish period of recovery.”

Cuomo will present his 2012-13 budget Tuesday. Although the Democrat isn’t hinting much at what it will include, he notes the fiscal times are vastly improved after action by him and the Legislature.

“We are in much better shape than we were last year,” Cuomo said Monday. “The good work we did last year will pay dividends this year — we have a much better budget.”

He said his budget proposal a year ago came amid “a true crisis — chaos” but he and the Legislature addressed a $10 billion deficit and made a rare cut in spending while keeping their campaign promises to avoid raising taxes. In December, however, Cuomo and the Senate’s Republican majority reversed themselves and adopted higher taxes on the state’s top earners, which will provide more revenue for spending this year as well as a $200 to $400 income tax break for most middle-class families.

Cuomo wouldn’t detail elements of his presentation Tuesday. But he said cutting the taxpayer burden to pay for what he called “unsustainable” state and local government costs for public pensions is essential.

“It’s hard to reform a pension system,” he said. “It affects many public employees, very powerful public employee unions and, politically, it’s hard to get the Legislature to do.”

Cuomo also said he will push his proposal for a bipartisan commission to improve public school instruction and make schools more efficient.

He said his budget proposal to the Legislature won’t mention the controversial and potentially lucrative proposal to extract natural gas from a vast upstate reserve by injecting water and chemicals into shale. Environmental groups fear hydraulic fracturing threatens wells and watersheds. Cuomo says he won’t include the added cost of environmental staff needed to regulate the process known as “fracking” until and unless a decision is made to allow the technology in New York.

Longtime Albany budget analyzer Frank Mauro sees some bright spots in the state’s economic numbers. He notes that DiNapoli’s report shows revenue, overall, is up, but not as much as projected. He also said that when federal funding factors are accounted for, Medicaid spending is flat, after years of huge increases that drove holes in county budgets.

But the report also shows the pain of cuts in state spending during the recession. School aid is down $134 million for the first nine months of the fiscal year compared to the year before.

“I think this presents a very uncertain future,” said Mauro, of the labor-backed Fiscal Policy Institute. “I would say we’re still in a very uncertain period. There have been other signs of recovery, that the economy is picking up, but we don’t get that from this financial report.”

But DiNapoli said the “millionaire tax” adopted by Cuomo and the Legislature in December will boost income tax figures during the last quarter of this fiscal year.

“I think there’s reason to have confidence that although we have been below estimates, we are likely to end the year in balance because of the December action,” DiNapoli said.

Comment

• Cuomo Turns His Budget Focus To Public Pensions, Education System

Following a year of fiscal austerity, Governor Andrew Cuomo looks to the 2012-2013 budget season with an eye toward overhauling the state's pension system and making aggressive changes to public education. Nick Reisman filed the following report for NY1.

Governor Andrew Cuomo is getting ready to reveal his budget proposal for the new fiscal year on Tuesday.

Although the governor would not share many details of the expected $130 billion plan in advance, he touted on Monday a brighter picture looking forward.

"The good work that we did last year is actually going to pay dividends this year," said Cuomo. "So, from just a budget point of view, where we had a true crisis last year, we had a $10 billion deficit, we had chaos. We have a much better budget situation on the numbers."

"We got a good start last year, moving in a better and a new direction. Took about a 90-degree turn," said Republican Assemblyman Jim Tedisco of Schenectady.

In a speech to a mostly African-American audience at an Albany event honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the governor blasted the education system and outlined what may be a frequent refrain in the coming weeks.

Cuomo is reportedly holding back a promised 4-percent increase in school aid in exchange for a tougher teacher evaluation system.

"Government here is actually part of the problem because we have lost focus on what it's all about. We have created an education bureaucracy and now it's about the education bureaucracy perpetuating the education bureaucracy," said the governor. "It has become about the business of education more than achievement in education."

Scaling back public pensions by possibly going to a 401k-type system may be proposed as well.

"We desperately need pension reform. We talk about mandate relief, meaning how do we lessen the burden on local governments? Property taxes are too high all across the state and the local governments say they have mandates imposed from the state. One of the main mandates is the cost of pensions," said Cuomo. "We tried to reduce the cost of pensions last year. We didn't get it done last year, we're going to work very hard to get it done this year. I think it's vitally important."

Medicaid spending is also expected to increase by 4 percent, but many departments will likely see their budgets cut by 2.5 percent.

Cuomo said one thing that is not going to be included at all are funds for hydrofracking.

He said he will not set aside money to extract natural gas from an upstate reservoir until the process is approved.

The state budget is running a $2.5 billion deficit. It is due on April 1.

NY1 will have live budget coverage starting at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

Comment

• My knew slogan for 2012 is "Cuomo Gotta Go".

Comment

• My new slogan for 2012 is "Cuomo Gotta Go".

Comment

My new slogan for 2012 is "Cuomo Gotta Go".
                            If the system is ever changed to 401k it would make MANY civil service jobs less appealing. Don't want Wall Street and the market dictating how much money I will have when I retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilServant14 View Post
                              If the system is ever changed to 401k it would make MANY civil service jobs less appealing. Don't want Wall Street and the market dictating how much money I will have when I retire.
                              I agree 100%. Let's see what happens after Cuomo's press conference.

Comment

I agree 100%. Let's see what happens after Cuomo's press conference.
                                Here comes Tier VI...

http://publications.budget.ny.gov/eB...iefingBook.pdf

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7617 users online. 412 members and 7205 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X