Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea it makes no sense building a new academy if there is going to be almost no hiring. I really thought scoring a 95 was going to get me this job. I have very little hope now after this new budget.

Comment

• Seems like the outlook is pretty bleak on a class anytime soon. I also thought I would have a good shot after scoring well on the test, but the past few years have been absolutely horrible for getting any kind of city/state civil service job. Timing is everything I guess.
      xx

Comment

• I just hope that the OCA will extend the life of that 2009 exam list

Comment

• I was pretty suprised by the budget. But looking at it closely the numbers just don't add up....The robes are getting their raise (27.7 mil!) civil legal services doubling to (25mil) and contractual increases of 22 mil...but the overall budget is negative growth...and is 3.5 mill under this year....BS!!!! Where is the money coming from? They hit our OT pretty hard...but if a crime is committed and someone needs to be collared on OT then what can you do? God forbid the bosses start pushing hard "no collars" the unions will have a field day. We are a heartbeat away from tradgedy daily due to short staffing. Its great that they will relax the whole 430 rule but if there aren't any officers to work the parts what good is it? If criminal court parts are being run with two officers (one running one securing) then those parts will be shut down and no, sorry all you bloods that **** on us in the bronx won't be able to get your trial in a timely manner..... Maybe dinosaur or soon2retire could remind us of stories i have only heard about...court officers walking out, picket lines in front of manhattan supreme court. There are roll arounds every single day in the court system, execept now more officers are getting hurt.....anyways Before this turns into a complete rant I would like to address some questions.

How many officers retire each year?
          System wide I have no idea. Buyout rumors are in full effect so I'd think most guys will ride it out for a little longer. Maybe a hundred system wide.

Will the 2009 list be extended?
          OCA isn't completely bound by civil service law. As I understand it those from the 2005 test who were scheduled for an academy that was cancelled will still get first dibs in the future. The 2009 list will last for a long time.

Why develop a new academy?
          They signed a 49 year lease already, and money has been used and spent already. You will be trained as a police officer by police instructors and perform elements of police work but your title, as of now, will be PEACE officer. WE WORK FOR MONEY NOT FOR TITLES. OCA is not against this change as it results in federal monies for the public safety dept of the judiciary. NYPD & NYSP also support us.

Will there be a class?
          God I hope so. We were told there were plans next year for hiring. Have those plans changed? I hope not, but I dont really know. Will Cuomo not accept this proposal? maybe. Hiring might also be contingent on whatever contract we wind up agreeing to.

I couldn't or wouldn't ever blame any of you for giving up with this job. It took me over 5 years from test to hire, and there were many times that I gave up. If your young enough test for everything. It still is a good job and we need all of you but I fully understand the sentiment. Try to stay positive if you can. Have faith that it all happens for a reason.
          Last edited by unblindeacon; 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM.
          http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
          NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Back in the 70's we were operatig shorthanded system wide. The hacks in brooklyn felt unsafe so they put out a call to the NYPD to work the building. The brooklyn guys stopped working and we at 111 Centre Street to an extremely extended lunch hour in the largest courtroom on the 9th floor. love the guys in the NYPD, but that was a bullsh*t move. NYPD out by the end of the day. We weren't making much money then so it was easy to lose some pay. I hope the Officers working today have the intestinal fortitude to take drastic action when needed. We also picketed OCA when the headquarters were at 270 Broadway......had Officers marching over the Brooklyn bridge to join us. Had most of Broadway blocked....all in uniform. Cops watched did not interfere. Captain of the 1st Pct showed up asked what was going on, got back in her car and went back to the house. Remember you are subject to the Taylor Law but your actions if timed correctly can have a tremendously detrimental effect on the operation of the system.

Comment

• question: What is the facial hair grooming policy? I ask because I notice i've seen few guys with full beards., don't know if they were exceptions for religious reasons.

also, what does the current salary/income look like in 5-10 yrs oppose to a beat cop in a smaller city/village or county.?

Comment

• How long is the life of the list?
                Last edited by sadsack; 12-09-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sadsack View Post
                  How long is the life of the list?

Copied & Pasted, from the recruitment site.

13. How long will the new eligible list 45-758 be valid? An eligible list for NYS Court Officer-Trainee is generally valid for four years, and can be extended for one additional year, at which time a new examination is held and a new list established.

Based on score ranged already canvased, I'm in the next batch to be screened...My question now is, how long do u have between the first contact of the canvass and the medical(specifically the weigh in part.).

Comment

• Originally posted by TruGuardian View Post

Based on score ranged already canvased, I'm in the next batch to be screened...My question now is, how long do u have between the first contact of the canvass and the medical(specifically the weigh in part.).
                    I had a little more than a month between the initial canvas letter and the Pre- screening medical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Retriever View Post
                      I had a little more than a month between the initial canvas letter and the Pre- screening medical.
                      can u answer my question about the facial hair grooming policy, thanks in advance.

Comment

• When I went for the PAT, the Chief was very clear on looking professional through this entire process, including being clean shaven. As far as once the process is complete, maybe one of the current co's on the board can answer that.

Comment

• You should be clean shaven and well groomed wearing business attire (suit) for every appointment unless told otherwise. No facail hair in academy and short haircut. After graduation you can have facail hair within reason (no zztop beards) everyguy I graduated with in my command is clean shaven
                          http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                          NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

Comment

• Thanks, guys...I appreciate it.

Comment

• Hey Guys, guess what ... I just received my results from the Court Assistant exam I took 14 months ago ... Rank # 62X ... I have no idea if this is a decent rank or not for this exam ... if anyone knows I would appreciate it, thanks ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
                                Hey Guys, guess what ... I just received my results from the Court Assistant exam I took 14 months ago ... Rank # 62X ... I have no idea if this is a decent rank or not for this exam ... if anyone knows I would appreciate it, thanks ...
                                Hey Monekyboy49...received my results today and I am ranked in the low 100's. From what I have heard in previous posts this position is not solid and could be on the chopping block in the future. If anyone could give more positive news...it would be welcomed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8640 users online. 477 members and 8163 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X