X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They were true heroes.

New York state court honors officers who died on Sept. 11

9/9/2011

NEW YORK, Sept 9 (Reuters) - On Sept. 11, 2001, Sgt. Mitchel Wallace, an officer for the New York State court system, rushed to the aid of a woman who had escaped from the World Trade Center with burns over more than 80 percent of her body. She survived, but he didn't.

"When I was taken out of the Trade Center, I was brought over to Mitch to be triaged," Mary Jos said in an interview following a ceremony to honor Wallace and two other court officers who perished in the attacks.

At first, Jos, 63, recalled, she was upset because Wallace had cut her pants apart to treat her wounds.

"There'll be a big sale -- don't worry about it," Wallace joked as he strapped Jos to a gurney and put her in an ambulance.

Jos, who was two blocks away en route to a hospital when the first tower collapsed, never saw him again.

"If Mitch hadn't triaged me, I would have been there," she said.

Jos joined more than two hundred family members, court officers and judges at Manhattan State Supreme Court Friday to pay tribute to Wallace, Capt. William Harry Thompson and Sgt. Thomas Jurgens two days before the 10th anniversary of the attacks.

At the start of the 45-minute ceremony, bagpipers played while court officers in full dress uniform marched around the rotunda at 60 Centre Street.

Fern Fisher, the deputy chief administrative judge for the New York City courts, said to the audience, "Each of us, if we close our eyes, will remember where you were at the minute that the first plane hit. We will never forget."

THE 'ULTIMATE PROFESSIONAL'

In the hours following the attack, Fisher said, she and others knew that the World Trade Center had collapsed, but were unprepared to learn that their own colleagues were among the dead.

Fisher remembered the 51-year-old Thompson, with his spit-polished shoes, as the "ultimate professional court officer," and Wallace, a 34-year-old former paramedic who was engaged to be married.

And she paid tribute to Jurgens, 27 at the time, who had rushed to the aide of his senior officers.

"Our job is to remember the sacrifices that were made that day ... the sacrifices in particular that Harry, Mitch and Tommy made," Fisher said.

Noreen McDonough, Wallace's fiancee, said it gave her a sense of comfort to "be with the court family."

"But at the same time, it's still very sad, emotional," she said.

Earlier in the day, hundreds of court officers and other employees gathered outside the New York City civil courthouse at 111 Centre Street to pay tribute to the fallen officers. One by one, family members of the three men laid carnations on an oversized court officer's shield.

"When people tell me stories about him, that gives me comfort," said Rahsaan Thompson, 36, one of Harry Thompson's two sons, after the ceremony, as one officer after another approached him to remember his father. "Now he's a hero, but to us, he was always just our dad."
    Last edited by Cravan; 09-20-2011, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Does that Bill mean court officers have police officer status now or they are just proposing it?

Comment

• Originally posted by isler45 View Post
        Does that Bill mean court officers have police officer status now or they are just proposing it?
        The latter my friend.

Comment

• with everything that jus happend in the last couple of months i have given up on this job, even the court assisant, which they never mailed out scores lol, you already took our money, can you at least be kind enough to let me know what i received lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Retriever View Post
            Results from the 9/8/11 PAT are up on the web site

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml
            Im in pretty good shape ... but maybe I should practice these agility tests at home ...

Comment

• Originally posted by TP3 View Post
              with everything that jus happend in the last couple of months i have given up on this job, even the court assisant, which they never mailed out scores lol, you already took our money, can you at least be kind enough to let me know what i received lol
              I know how you feel, but never give up hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
                Im in pretty good shape ... but maybe I should practice these agility tests at home ...
                That sounds like a good idea.

Comment

• i know how you feel but just live your life without thinking about this. thats what i am doing

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                  with everything that jus happend in the last couple of months i have given up on this job, even the court assisant, which they never mailed out scores lol, you already took our money, can you at least be kind enough to let me know what i received lol
                  in the academy

Exam 8316

Comment

• Court officers do not have Police Officer status

Comment

• Welcome to the forum. There are many here who will be better for your experience.

Comment

• New to the forum, scored a 89.0 hope to be called. Currently working as a state correction officer. All those that are waiting good luck! All my friends that transfered tell me it was worth the wait!

Comment

• Originally posted by onsoroma View Post
                          New to the forum, scored a 89.0 hope to be called. Currently working as a state correction officer. All those that are waiting good luck! All my friends that transfered tell me it was worth the wait!
                          Hey,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get called as well. How do you like state corrections?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                            Hey,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get called as well. How do you like state corrections?

Comment

• Not bad depending where you work. I like working Max only. The Gov. is making it pretty bad, closing more jails means more fights, over crowding etc. Takes a lot to get used to. in the process of trying to transfer to warrant officer till the courts call me.

Comment

• Originally posted by onsoroma View Post
                                Not bad depending where you work. I like working Max only. The Gov. is making it pretty bad, closing more jails means more fights, over crowding etc. Takes a lot to get used to. in the process of trying to transfer to warrant officer till the courts call me.

Interesting. I wanted to take the Warrant Officer exam, but I do not have peace officer experience. I am aware that NYS Corrections and NYS Parole merged. Have you ever thought about becoming a Parole Officer?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7799 users online. 393 members and 7406 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X