300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jontot View Post
    I took the exam in Dec. 2005 and got 87 in the exam. I was canvassed in 2008 and failed my first hand/arm steadiness test in early 2009 and re-tested after 90 days. I was interviewed by the phychologist in fall 2009 and never heard from them again until 2nd week of November of 2010 for my final Medical and was offered a job the first week of December 2010 that will start Jan. 6 2011. And the class was postponed indefinetely on Jan. 4, 2011. As you can see the process takes time so don't get discourage you will get a call if you are waiting for NYC
    nice. i respect that u were so patient with the process. does ur situation mean ur guaranteed a spot in the next class/academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
      Thanks Cravan,
      I scored a 88.3 with a rank of 42XX ... I was getting a little down about getting a shot at the job, but you just made me feel a little better ...
      No problem. I wish you all the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
        I would say in general that being a Court Officer is a better job in terms of quality of life. Weekends and holidays off are a huge benefit when you have a young family, plus you don't have to deal with bad weather as much like you do on the road. Like I said, I never would have left but my current department has much better retirement and pay. Overall I do like my job now though. We certainly answer ridiculous radio calls on a frequent basis. I've answered more than a handful of "the guy at the drive through screwed up my burger" and "my kid won't do her homework" calls. As far as tickets, my department doesn't really care if we write them as long as we make some traffic stops every now and then, but things are much different down in NYPD. It's all what you make of it really.
        Okay, cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by xeaglex View Post
          nice. i respect that u were so patient with the process. does ur situation mean ur guaranteed a spot in the next class/academy?
          Hey,

I am in the same position as him. We are guaranteed a spot in the next academy only if we pass the pre-appointment medical exam again and stay out of trouble. I posted the pre-appointment medical exam requirements below.

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/screening8.shtml

Comment

• I am hoping now more than ever that the Court Officers lift the freeze in 2012. Found out today that I missed the age cut off for the local Sheriff's Deputy test that is coming in November. Never thought being 35 would be too old. Thank goodness that there is no age limit for the Court Officers. My law enforcement career path has had its up's and down's. Worked 9 years in juvenile corrections only to have the job cut do to state fiscal problems. Went through the hiring process for State Troopers only to have it derailed do to a knee injury. Working security now and thankful that it is paying the bills for my family. So now more than ever I'll be waiting for my shot, patiently, at the Court Officer job. I hope everyone who is at the cusp of getting on the job makes it. Please continue to share the process so the rest of us know what to expect when it becomes our turn. Good Luck to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd57 View Post
              I am hoping now more than ever that the Court Officers lift the freeze in 2012. Found out today that I missed the age cut off for the local Sheriff's Deputy test that is coming in November. Never thought being 35 would be too old. Thank goodness that there is no age limit for the Court Officers. My law enforcement career path has had its up's and down's. Worked 9 years in juvenile corrections only to have the job cut do to state fiscal problems. Went through the hiring process for State Troopers only to have it derailed do to a knee injury. Working security now and thankful that it is paying the bills for my family. So now more than ever I'll be waiting for my shot, patiently, at the Court Officer job. I hope everyone who is at the cusp of getting on the job makes it. Please continue to share the process so the rest of us know what to expect when it becomes our turn. Good Luck to all.
              Hey,

Sorry to hear about all the bad news with your law enforcement career path. It is rough out here for real. I hope things work out for all of us. NY state closed some juvenile prisons because they wanted to to keep juvenile offenders with their families and within their communities. I would advise you to take other law enforcement exams just in case. How far are you in the Court Officer hiring process?

Comment

I am hoping now more than ever that the Court Officers lift the freeze in 2012. Found out today that I missed the age cut off for the local Sheriff's Deputy test that is coming in November. Never thought being 35 would be too old. Thank goodness that there is no age limit for the Court Officers. My law enforcement career path has had its up's and down's. Worked 9 years in juvenile corrections only to have the job cut do to state fiscal problems. Went through the hiring process for State Troopers only to have it derailed do to a knee injury. Working security now and thankful that it is paying the bills for my family. So now more than ever I'll be waiting for my shot, patiently, at the Court Officer job. I hope everyone who is at the cusp of getting on the job makes it. Please continue to share the process so the rest of us know what to expect when it becomes our turn. Good Luck to all.
                Just so you know, the Court Officers are not the only ones without an age requirement. As far as I know SUNY does not have one, and I remember reading recently that DEC doesn't either. TBTA might not have an age limit either, but seeing as you live in Plattsburgh, the commute might be a slightly inconvenient...

Comment

• Cravan- I have taken other exams with Homeland Security. The local exam was disappointing to take because they are hiring right off the bat and the wait would not have been long if I scored really well. Oh well those are the breaks. I haven't been canvased yet for the Court Officer, but I am looking forward to the process. Been reading your threads and sorry to hear that you have to wait a little while longer after being 48hrs away to start the academy. It is an awesome job from what I have heard and I wish you all the best when you get in.

Comment

• Fuerza- Thanks for the information.

Comment

Cravan- I have taken other exams with Homeland Security. The local exam was disappointing to take because they are hiring right off the bat and the wait would not have been long if I scored really well. Oh well those are the breaks. I haven't been canvased yet for the Court Officer, but I am looking forward to the process. Been reading your threads and sorry to hear that you have to wait a little while longer after being 48hrs away to start the academy. It is an awesome job from what I have heard and I wish you all the best when you get in.
                      Hey Todd,

Thanks for the support. We all just have to stay positive and our dreams will come true.

Comment

• Results from the 9/8/11 PAT are up on the web site

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml

Comment

• Originally posted by Retriever View Post
                          Results from the 9/8/11 PAT are up on the web site

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml
                          that's more disqualifications than qualifications. whats the difference between this PAT and the JST for the nypd? it clearly seems this one is more difficult

Comment

that's more disqualifications than qualifications. whats the difference between this PAT and the JST for the nypd? it clearly seems this one is more difficult
                            The PAT is much harder than the JST. Check out the PAT link below.

http://www.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/...ity-test.shtml

Comment

Actually, 18 candidates qualified for the PAT and 15 candidates were disqualified. I wish all candidates the very best.

Comment

• BILL NUMBER:S2188

TITLE OF BILL:

An act to amend the criminal procedure law, in relation to reclassifying court
                                officers of the unified court system under the definition of police
                                officer; and to repeal certain provisions of such law relating thereto

PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL:

The legislation amended subdivision 34 of Section 1.20 of the criminal
                                procedure law by reclassifying court officers as police officers.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS:

Amends subdivision 34 of Section 1.20 of the criminal procedure law by
                                adding a new paragraph which reclassifies court officers under the
                                definition of police officer.

JUSTIFICATION:

Court Officers are trained by certified New York State Police
                                Instructors at the New York State Court Officers Academy and are the
                                law enforcement authority for the state's judicial branch. Court
                                Officers perform duties identical to that of Police Officers and
                                share the same responsibilities as Police Officers. These duties are
                                performed in and around court facilities throughout New York State as
                                well as Unified Court System Administration Facilities. Court
                                Officers ate sworn peace officers who are authorized to carry a
                                firearm and effect arrests both on and off duty.

Court officers engage in crime prevention by virtue of being a visible
                                uniformed force on fixed posts and on patrol in and around these same
                                facilities. New York State Courts Mobile Security Patrol (MSP) units
                                routinely patrol these facilities in marked radio patrol cars
                                responding to emergencies and effecting and assisting in arrests.

Court officers provide judicial protection and routinely transport
                                members of the judiciary to and from court facilities and
                                administrative offices as well as to and from duties in remote areas
                                of New York State.

Additionally, Court Officers provide protection to Judges at their homes
                                in the event of threats made against Judges. Court officers are the
                                only peace officers in the state with stop, question and frisk power.
                                (Ref.
                                CPL 140.50). This power is currently limited to "in or about the court
                                house to which he is assigned." Police status would expand on this
                                power allowing officers to better serve and protect members of the
                                judiciary and the public at large.

Court officers can execute bench warrants in New York City - Nassau,
                                Suffolk and Westchester Counties. Police status would expand this
                                authority to include all counties of New York State and to permit
                                execution of arrest warrants as well. (Ref CPL 530.70) Until the
                                Unified Court System expanded its jurisdiction statewide, Court
                                officer duties were performed by Deputy Sheriffs who had police
                                status (Ref CPL 1.20, 34) (B). These Deputy Sheriffs lost police
                                status when they became Court officers. This legislation would
                                restore these officers to their previous status as police officers.

After the attacks of September 11, 2001, Court Officers were charged
                                with providing physical security at the Office of Emergency
                                Management Command Post. Court Officers are currently assigned to
                                both the Joint Terrorist Task Force and the Office of Emergency
                                Management; these officers participate in the same assignments as
                                police officers but lack the same authority. Police status would
                                eliminate this deficiency. In the event of a terrorist attack,
                                natural disaster or other catastrophic events, court officers are
                                designated as first responders. Court officer special response team
                                units (SRT) are highly trained units ready to mobilize and respond to
                                emergency situations statewide.

Court officers routinely effect and process arrests, respond to
                                medical emergencies, conduct crowd control, respond to bomb threats,
                                respond to vehicular accidents, testify in court and, work with local
                                police agencies to effect inspection of crime scenes by judges and
                                juries.

PRIOR LEGISLATIVE HISTORY:

2009-10 - S.3709 - Referred to Codes
                                2007-08 - S.5565A - Passed Senate, Vetoed by Governor Memo 180

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS FOR STATE & LOCAL GOVERNMENTS:

Minimal costs for training

EFFECTIVE DATE:

Immediate.
                                Last edited by Cravan; 09-20-2011, 03:19 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12215 users online. 456 members and 11759 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X