Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No prob cravan, I didnt really mean switch over right now. Once I hit my 20th in the PD I will try to stay on until they make me retire or I get tired lol Ofcourse I cant predict my own future, at the moment no kids and no wifey. I plan on having both soon, and with that added responsibility I would look for employment after I retire. I cant picture myself sitting on the porch reading the newspaper while living on the pension and doing nothing when im in my 50s. Id rather be out there as a Court officer, Maybe they like hiring retired guys? Its common to find retired guys who look into smaller departments like courts or some other employment like armed security.

    Comment


    • I am also on the last exam from 09' and was canvassed for NYC area but didnt continue the process.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by nypd11218 View Post
        No prob cravan, I didnt really mean switch over right now. Once I hit my 20th in the PD I will try to stay on until they make me retire or I get tired lol Ofcourse I cant predict my own future, at the moment no kids and no wifey. I plan on having both soon, and with that added responsibility I would look for employment after I retire. I cant picture myself sitting on the porch reading the newspaper while living on the pension and doing nothing when im in my 50s. Id rather be out there as a Court officer, Maybe they like hiring retired guys? Its common to find retired guys who look into smaller departments like courts or some other employment like armed security.
        Okay. Lol.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by nypd11218 View Post
          I am also on the last exam from 09' and was canvassed for NYC area but didnt continue the process.
          Cool. What was your score on the exam?

          Comment


          • So I met with my investigator. The process wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but be prepared to write (and sit) if you are scheduled to meet with yours any time soon. My appointment was on 8/25/11 and my current employer has already received some of the documentation regarding my work history/behavior, etc. in the mail. I'm assuming my past employers and schools have received the same. They are "looking for the negatives" in your life. So if you saved a drowning puppy once, it's not going to matter if your history reflects some questionable actions. Be honest and don't be afraid to ask a question if you are uncertain about something in your past.

            From what I understood, they have individuals ready for a class and are looking to "add to it", although a specific time frame was not mentioned. Still, that sounds like good news. Perhaps those who were put on stand-by due to a postponement are just waiting for further instructions.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ClapfromXboxLive View Post
              So I met with my investigator. The process wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but be prepared to write (and sit) if you are scheduled to meet with yours any time soon. My appointment was on 8/25/11 and my current employer has already received some of the documentation regarding my work history/behavior, etc. in the mail. I'm assuming my past employers and schools have received the same. They are "looking for the negatives" in your life. So if you saved a drowning puppy once, it's not going to matter if your history reflects some questionable actions. Be honest and don't be afraid to ask a question if you are uncertain about something in your past.

              From what I understood, they have individuals ready for a class and are looking to "add to it", although a specific time frame was not mentioned. Still, that sounds like good news. Perhaps those who were put on stand-by due to a postponement are just waiting for further instructions.
              Hey,

              Thanks for posting your experience meeting with your investigator. I hope everything works out for all of us. This sounds like good news to me. We are waiting for further instructions, and I hope a recruit class goes in asap. The job market is very terrible and it is not getting any better. I have met several graduate students in my classes who are unemployed. I have sent out countless resumes to no reply. I am starting to get worried. Luckily, I receive unemployment insurance and have a decent amount in savings, but I want to get back to work asap. I like working for my money.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                Hey fellow postponed recruits,

                Since the Jan 6, 2011 recruit class was postponed, do we have to redo the Pre-Appointment Medical Exam once another class goes in?
                Cravan, unfortunately the Pre-Appointment Medical Exam we took back on November 2010 was only good for 4 months as I was told by one of the lady who gave me the bad news on 1/04/11. So I guess we still have to watch our health including our weight to height ratio Btw, I'm still lurking here once in a while to get some info. so I really appreciates everyone's contributions in this Court Officer thread.
                Exam 2005/ 45-722
                Rank: Low 4000
                Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jontot View Post
                  Cravan, unfortunately the Pre-Appointment Medical Exam we took back on November 2010 was only good for 4 months as I was told by one of the lady who gave me the bad news on 1/04/11. So I guess we still have to watch our health including our weight to height ratio Btw, I'm still lurking here once in a while to get some info. so I really appreciates everyone's contributions in this Court Officer thread.
                  Hey,

                  Long time no hear. I hope all is well with you. What have you been up to? Thanks for answering my question. I am trying to keep this forum alive so that we could get as much information as possible.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                    Hey,

                    Long time no hear. I hope all is well with you. What have you been up to? Thanks for answering my question. I am trying to keep this forum alive so that we could get as much information as possible.
                    Still unemployed but doing okay, thanks. I'm planning to take the Parole Officer Assistant exam this October in Rockland County. I'm not aggressively looking for work at this time, enjoying my forced time off with my 3 little one. To all 2009 candidates, good luck. Keep us 2005 peeps updated in case you guys/gals hear anything new about future class.
                    Exam 2005/ 45-722
                    Rank: Low 4000
                    Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                    Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jontot View Post
                      Still unemployed but doing okay, thanks. I'm planning to take the Parole Officer Assistant exam this October in Rockland County. I'm not aggressively looking for work at this time, enjoying my forced time off with my 3 little one. To all 2009 candidates, good luck. Keep us 2005 peeps updated in case you guys/gals hear anything new about future class.
                      Cool. I hope things work out for you with that exam. I also hope that we all can get in the next academy asap.

                      Comment


                      • I scored a 86.7 on the test on 2009. I have not heard anything from the after that. I remember checking the website and they were contacting people who scored a 91+. so i'm guessing... there's pretty much no chance or hope for me right......? it's been 2 years of wait =/

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LightWeightBabi View Post
                          I scored a 86.7 on the test on 2009. I have not heard anything from the after that. I remember checking the website and they were contacting people who scored a 91+. so i'm guessing... there's pretty much no chance or hope for me right......? it's been 2 years of wait =/
                          There is always a chance of getting the job. If you are in NYC, you are next to get canvassed. Remember, the eligible list was created in July 2010. You have until July 2014 to get the job. The list can also be extended for one year as per OCA. OCA will probably start canvassing candidates in NYC who scored 90 to 85 after the first group of qualified candidates are finished with the screening process. Good luck and never give up hope.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by LightWeightBabi View Post
                            I scored a 86.7 on the test on 2009. I have not heard anything from the after that. I remember checking the website and they were contacting people who scored a 91+. so i'm guessing... there's pretty much no chance or hope for me right......? it's been 2 years of wait =/
                            I took the exam in Dec. 2005 and got 87 in the exam. I was canvassed in 2008 and failed my first hand/arm steadiness test in early 2009 and re-tested after 90 days. I was interviewed by the phychologist in fall 2009 and never heard from them again until 2nd week of November of 2010 for my final Medical and was offered a job the first week of December 2010 that will start Jan. 6 2011. And the class was postponed indefinetely on Jan. 4, 2011. As you can see the process takes time so don't get discourage you will get a call if you are waiting for NYC
                            Exam 2005/ 45-722
                            Rank: Low 4000
                            Pre-Appointment Medical-Passed on 11/29/2010
                            Candidate for Jan. 2011 Academy

                            Comment


                            • Thanks Cravan,
                              I scored a 88.3 with a rank of 42XX ... I was getting a little down about getting a shot at the job, but you just made me feel a little better ...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                                Hey,

                                I got friends within the NYPD who tell me that being a Court Officer is a better job than being a Police Officer. My friends always complain about writing too many tickets and answering petty radio calls. They also say that being on patrol is very stressful. Do you agree?
                                I would say in general that being a Court Officer is a better job in terms of quality of life. Weekends and holidays off are a huge benefit when you have a young family, plus you don't have to deal with bad weather as much like you do on the road. Like I said, I never would have left but my current department has much better retirement and pay. Overall I do like my job now though. We certainly answer ridiculous radio calls on a frequent basis. I've answered more than a handful of "the guy at the drive through screwed up my burger" and "my kid won't do her homework" calls. As far as tickets, my department doesn't really care if we write them as long as we make some traffic stops every now and then, but things are much different down in NYPD. It's all what you make of it really.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4043 users online. 214 members and 3829 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X