Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Court Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by sferguson View Post
    Is there anyone in 4th JD that took the exam in 2009 get a canvas letter yet? Any news on the next CO Academy class?
    Hey,

    OCA informed us that there may not be another academy class this fiscal year which began on April 1, 2011 and ends on March 31, 2012.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by sferguson View Post
      Is there anyone in 4th JD that took the exam in 2009 get a canvas letter yet? Any news on the next CO Academy class?
      Hey sferguson- I am from the 4th JD and took the exam in 2009. I have not received a canvas letter yet. OCA did NYC first off the 2009 list and we should be next for the next round of canvas letters. What rank are you and what did you score? If you don't mind me asking. I got a 88.3 and my rank is 500x.

      Comment


      • I was wondering is someone could give me an update as to what is going on with the CO? I took the last exam in 2009, and am #3xx on the list. I got a canvas letter for both NYC and Suffolk, but i didn't reply in time. When I called, they told me next time they send out canvas letter for those areas, I will get another one, but it might be a very long time. They told me there was supposed to be an academy, but it got postponed. Was that supposed to be for people from the 2005 exam, or from the first round of people from the 2009? Im just wondering, if i happen to get a letter sometime next year, what are the chances of getting process before the list expires? Im just hoping i didnt miss my only chance of getting on when I scored so high on the list. When is the list set to expire for the 2009 exam?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by scapogna73 View Post
          I was wondering is someone could give me an update as to what is going on with the CO? I took the last exam in 2009, and am #3xx on the list. I got a canvas letter for both NYC and Suffolk, but i didn't reply in time. When I called, they told me next time they send out canvas letter for those areas, I will get another one, but it might be a very long time. They told me there was supposed to be an academy, but it got postponed. Was that supposed to be for people from the 2005 exam, or from the first round of people from the 2009? Im just wondering, if i happen to get a letter sometime next year, what are the chances of getting process before the list expires? Im just hoping i didnt miss my only chance of getting on when I scored so high on the list. When is the list set to expire for the 2009 exam?
          The academy that was cancelled was for the 2005 exam. They are still processing people, but things seemed to have slowed. the list will probably be in effect until 2014, which is when the next exam will probably have the list created, if history is any indication...exam in 2013 results in 2014...

          Keep in mind those 2005 exam people get first shot at the next academy, and then the 2700 or so they canvassed from 2009...who are still being processed. People on the job have posted here they are woefully understaffed, so if the states finances turn around there should be some decent hiring...This is my opinion anyway, take it as you please.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by scapogna73 View Post
            I was wondering is someone could give me an update as to what is going on with the CO? I took the last exam in 2009, and am #3xx on the list. I got a canvas letter for both NYC and Suffolk, but i didn't reply in time. When I called, they told me next time they send out canvas letter for those areas, I will get another one, but it might be a very long time. They told me there was supposed to be an academy, but it got postponed. Was that supposed to be for people from the 2005 exam, or from the first round of people from the 2009? Im just wondering, if i happen to get a letter sometime next year, what are the chances of getting process before the list expires? Im just hoping i didnt miss my only chance of getting on when I scored so high on the list. When is the list set to expire for the 2009 exam?
            Hey,

            I was supposed to start the last academy class on 1/06/11, but it got postponed. It was supposed to be 50 people in the class. OCA told us that we are next in line for the next academy class. OCA is not sure when the next class is going to go in due to Gov. Cuomo and the Legislature reducing their budget by $170 million. Why didn't you reply on time after receiving two canvass letters?

            Comment


            • Long story short, it was a combo of me being too hesitant and my family not being too enthusiastic about the job. I should have just signed the letter and THEN thought about it, not the other way around.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by scapogna73 View Post
                Long story short, it was a combo of me being too hesitant and my family not being too enthusiastic about the job. I should have just signed the letter and THEN thought about it, not the other way around.
                Sorry to hear that Scapogna. We all learn from our mistakes. What were your family's concerns?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                  Sorry to hear that Scapogna. We all learn from our mistakes. What were your family's concerns?
                  I am curious as to what your families concerns are too. Money & benefits are pretty good. Retirement is still ok...for now...90% of us work some form of days 0700-1500, 0830-1630, 0900-1700 etc. with SAT & SUN as RDO's. Its prob. the best family LEO job out there. Big reason why I took it. There is still nothing like being there with the kids on christmas morning....some things in life are more important.

                  Not only did you pass up NYC but you passed up Suffolk! ahhhhhh! The land of the 4 day work weeK! Will you get called again for this job? most likely yes...for suffolk: NO...I would bet it would be NYC due to the fact that 3 of the 30 layoffs were suffolk, the rest NYC. (aside from 9thjd LT laid off during the 1st round) My graduating class was split: 142 to NYC...5 to suffolk...3 to 9thJD. The manpower need is much greater in NYC. As far as the next academy: my personal opinion is that instead of having a class of 50 it will be more around 125 with recruits from 2005 being offered first dibs & the rest from 2009. Now if there is some kind of buyout offered after 4/1/12...there WILL be massive hiring.


                  If You have any questions or concerns Scapogna (or anyone else) that need honest and straightfoward answers I will do my best to address them. If your not comfortable posting them here PM me.
                  Last edited by unblindeacon; 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM.
                  http://i46.tinypic.com/152i8tt.jpg
                  NEVER FORGETTING OUR HERO'S

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by scapogna73 View Post
                    Long story short, it was a combo of me being too hesitant and my family not being too enthusiastic about the job. I should have just signed the letter and THEN thought about it, not the other way around.

                    SMH.....please tell me you are 23 or younger. I'm begging you.

                    Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                    Sorry to hear that Scapogna. We all learn from our mistakes. What were your family's concerns?

                    Probably thought he can do way better...or felt he'll be wasting the money they've spent on him getting a degree.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TruGuardian View Post
                      SMH.....please tell me you are 23 or younger. I'm begging you.




                      Probably thought he can do way better...or felt he'll be wasting the money they've spent on him getting a degree.
                      My family thinks I can do way better because I am currently getting a Master's degree. I have worked in social services for over ten years and my highest salary was $50,000. My old job required a Bachelor's degree and it was very stressful. Court officers only need a high school diploma and their top pay is about $70,000, and they do not seem as stressed out.
                      Last edited by Cravan; 08-19-2011, 03:42 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                        My family thinks I can do way better because I am currently getting a Master's degree. I have worked in social services for over ten years and my highest salary was $50,000. My old job required a Bachelor's degree and it was very stressful. Court officers only need a high school diploma and their top pay is about $70,000, and they do not seem as stressed out.
                        I read a recent blog post somewhere (checking my history on comp) that around 55% of college grads actually have a job where they utilize their degree.

                        I suppose one may think it better to say "white collar" as opposed to "blue collar." My Grandpa was a milkman-seeing as how hard he worked, id be proud to call myself a "blue collar worker." IMHO

                        scapogna73 good luck with the opportunities that present themselves to you. If your young I hope you see that any opportunity, while your country is in a recession, is a GOOD opportunity. And look at Cravan, probably steps away from a masters and has a family who thinks hes better than this opportunity. Hes going in anyway when the next academy comes up. that says alot. Cravans got my respect.

                        thanks to the guys who are OTJ and come and post here. You give me hope and encouragement. to you all that are waiting for academy-patience is a virture not learned overnight, right?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mtn29 View Post
                          I read a recent blog post somewhere (checking my history on comp) that around 55% of college grads actually have a job where they utilize their degree.

                          I suppose one may think it better to say "white collar" as opposed to "blue collar." My Grandpa was a milkman-seeing as how hard he worked, id be proud to call myself a "blue collar worker." IMHO

                          scapogna73 good luck with the opportunities that present themselves to you. If your young I hope you see that any opportunity, while your country is in a recession, is a GOOD opportunity. And look at Cravan, probably steps away from a masters and has a family who thinks hes better than this opportunity. Hes going in anyway when the next academy comes up. that says alot. Cravans got my respect.

                          thanks to the guys who are OTJ and come and post here. You give me hope and encouragement. to you all that are waiting for academy-patience is a virture not learned overnight, right?
                          Thanks Mtn29. The reality is that if you can make a decent living and support yourself and your family, why not. I am big on education and would never discourage anyone not to pursue a college degree. College has broaden my horizons, but the field that I was in (social services) did not pay a livable salary for me and my family. NY is very expensive and a person needs to make a good salary in order to live in a decent and safe neighborhood. I wish all future c.o. candidates the best of luck.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by unblindeacon View Post
                            I am curious as to what your families concerns are too. Money & benefits are pretty good. Retirement is still ok...for now...90% of us work some form of days 0700-1500, 0830-1630, 0900-1700 etc. with SAT & SUN as RDO's. Its prob. the best family LEO job out there. Big reason why I took it. There is still nothing like being there with the kids on christmas morning....some things in life are more important.

                            Not only did you pass up NYC but you passed up Suffolk! ahhhhhh! The land of the 4 day work weeK! Will you get called again for this job? most likely yes...for suffolk: NO...I would bet it would be NYC due to the fact that 3 of the 30 layoffs were suffolk, the rest NYC. (aside from 9thjd LT laid off during the 1st round) My graduating class was split: 142 to NYC...5 to suffolk...3 to 9thJD. The manpower need is much greater in NYC. As far as the next academy: my personal opinion is that instead of having a class of 50 it will be more around 125 with recruits from 2005 being offered first dibs & the rest from 2009. Now if there is some kind of buyout offered after 4/1/12...there WILL be massive hiring.


                            If You have any questions or concerns Scapogna (or anyone else) that need honest and straightfoward answers I will do my best to address them. If your not comfortable posting them here PM me.
                            Hey,

                            We all appreciate you taking the time to give us inside information about the job. You are a good guy. Thanks.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                              My family thinks I can do way better because I am currently getting a Master's degree. I have worked in social services for over ten years and my highest salary was $50,000. My old job required a Bachelor's degree and it was very stressful. Court officers only need a high school diploma and their top pay is about $70,000, and they do not seem as stressed out.

                              I rarely see a Court Officer with a grimace....98% have pleasant demeanor, and seem to enjoy their job. Heck', I know a female officer that spends more time on her cellphone from work than people sitting down at desk. I say any job that 90% of difficulty is just showing up for work and being on time, is a pretty good damn job.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Cravan View Post
                                You're welcome. I have been waiting to get hired since I took the exam in 2005. The process is very long. We all just have to stay positive. Keep us informed about your meeting with your investigator.
                                I meet with my invesitgator this week. Wish me luck!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11272 users online. 405 members and 10867 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X