300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple practice questions that i've been going over

Im preparing for my test so I've been going over some of the questions from the prep-class and I don't understand how some of these answers right... I just wanna hear what some of you guys think..

1. Which of the criminal cases listed below would probably be considered the most difficult for law enforcement personnel to investigate?
    A. Auto Theft
    B. Burglary
    C. Securities Fraud
    D. Child Abuse/Neglect

I chose C, because since when does an officer walking the beat have the hunch to check on things like stock fraud! Choice D was the correct answer in the class. I didnt pick D because if a child comes to school with bruised arms and black eyes, the teacher should call the police and have them investigate the issue.

2. You are stationed at a busy intersection and are given the description of a stolen vehicle. Of the following information, the one that will permit you to ELIMINATE most easily a large number of vehicles that you will observe is...
    A. the stolen vehicle has no spare tire
    B. the stolen vehicle is a 2006 Ford Mustang
    C. the stolen vehicle is colored black
    D. the stolen vehicle has tires that measure 750X16, white walled

I just B, because any car thats not a 2006 Ford Mustang can automatically be eliminated from your observation. In the class the "correct" answer is B. You can witness 5 black cars passing by at the same time so what good is that?

I know both of these questions appear in books like ARCO and Norman Halls and I have also had two different versions of a Norman Halls book, with the SAME questions, but with a different answers and explanations, so I know for a fact the books can be wrong. Is that the case in these two questions? Or is the instructor of the class actually giving the correct answer.

Originally posted by wannabe50 View Post
    Im preparing for my test so I've been going over some of the questions from the prep-class and I don't understand how some of these answers right... I just wanna hear what some of you guys think..

1. Which of the criminal cases listed below would probably be considered the most difficult for law enforcement personnel to investigate?
    A. Auto Theft
    B. Burglary
    C. Securities Fraud
    D. Child Abuse/Neglect

I chose C, because since when does an officer walking the beat have the hunch to check on things like stock fraud! Choice D was the correct answer in the class. I didnt pick D because if a child comes to school with bruised arms and black eyes, the teacher should call the police and have them investigate the issue.

You have to think logically. C. would not be the right answer because "Securities Fraud" has to deal with the SEC. That involves lawyers and forensic accountants that digs in deep to find what happened to the monies invested. Law enforcement is just that, enforces the law.

D. would be the correct answer because a kid can either injury him or herself by playing. Plus if the kid wore long sleeve shirt and jeans. No one will ever notice child abuse. That's why it is the most difficult to detect. You need evidence to prove that it is child abuse. Either you catch someone neglecting there child or catch them on camera. You can't just go and accuse someone of child abuse.
    NYPD Exam # 8305: (07.31.08)

* Medical: (10.27.08)
    * Mini Medical: (10.27.08), (5.21.10), (2.23.11), (6.10.11)
    * Meet with BI: Done (11.09.08)
    * Written psychological: Done (1.23.09)
    * Oral psychological: (1.27.09)
    * JST: 3 min. 5 sec. (4.2.09), 3 min. 13 sec. (5.22.10), 3 min. 10 sec. (4.30.11)
    * Medical: (2.23.11)

Got the call at 5:03pm on July 2nd, 2011.

July Academy

Comment

what test are you studying for?? no police test that i've taken (especially the nypd) had any questions like that

civil service exams are exactly that, civil service exams. they are meant to be taken by anybody walking off the street with no law enforcement experience. There are some studies that say the prep classes help, but just as many that say they are useless.

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD13 View Post
        You have to think logically. C. would not be the right answer because "Securities Fraud" has to deal with the SEC. That involves lawyers and forensic accountants that digs in deep to find what happened to the monies invested. Law enforcement is just that, enforces the law.

D. would be the correct answer because a kid can either injury him or herself by playing. Plus if the kid wore long sleeve shirt and jeans. No one will ever notice child abuse. That's why it is the most difficult to detect. You need evidence to prove that it is child abuse. Either you catch someone neglecting there child or catch them on camera. You can't just go and accuse someone of child abuse.
        I see what you're saying, but I look at this as an exam for entry level police officers and they wouldn't be tracking down securities fraud... If this were an FBI exam, then I could see this being the answer. The question asks about investigating, so if a child does have signs of injury, the police could in fact, investigate the issue, and then draw the conclusion on child abuse, or even neglect i.e. child has raggy clothes, obvious signs of neglected hygiene... When Martha Stewart was indicted for insider trading, was the local police department leading the investigation? probably not, but if her neighbors kid was showing signs of abuse, i bet the local PD would be knocking on the front door

I can see why securities fraud COULD be the correct answer, but not more than child abuse

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
          what test are you studying for?? no police test that i've taken (especially the nypd) had any questions like that

civil service exams are exactly that, civil service exams. they are meant to be taken by anybody walking off the street with no law enforcement experience. There are some studies that say the prep classes help, but just as many that say they are useless.
          I've taken a few of these exams before and know what kinds of questions are asked, but these were brought up in a prep class (which is terrible and a waste of time) and I curious to see how the instructor drew these conclusions, or how the book he copied them from, drew the conclusions.

Comment

You can have suspicion that child abuse took place and suspicion is enough for an investigation by child services. The marks on a child caused by an adult will look very different then those the child received from playing. I also would have picked C for the first one because it would seem difficult for typical law enforcement to investigate securities fraud, much more so then child abuse. For the second, I also would choose B considering you can eliminate any car that isnt a Ford Mustang. My problem is during these test is that I over analyze the questions, but these seem pretty straightforward, I am not sure the logic behind the "right" answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero22 View Post
              You can have suspicion that child abuse took place and suspicion is enough for an investigation by child services. The marks on a child caused by an adult will look very different then those the child received from playing. I also would have picked C for the first one because it would seem difficult for typical law enforcement to investigate securities fraud, much more so then child abuse. For the second, I also would choose B considering you can eliminate any car that isnt a Ford Mustang. My problem is during these test is that I over analyze the questions, but these seem pretty straightforward, I am not sure the logic behind the "right" answers.
              I'm with you 100% on this one

Comment

A. Auto Theft
                B. Burglary
                C. Securities Fraud
                D. Child Abuse/Neglect
                Where does it state Patrol Officer? It states law enforcement personnel which covers local,state,and federal. This is where people screw up on the promotion exams ( NJ ).
                Last edited by nasa808; 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM.
                We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
                  Where does it stated Patrol Officer? It states law enforcement personnel which covers local,state,and federal. This is where people screw up on the promotion exams ( NJ ).
                  thats where i can agree with choice, if it had sad local police officials or something, then its a diff story... but since this is an entry level police officer exam, thats how i took it

Comment

NYPD13

Last time I check, fraud is a crime. Also, the FBI investigates white collar crimes but the breakdown of your answer (D) is more or less on the money.
                    Last edited by nasa808; 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM.

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

[QUOTE=nasa808;2057220]
                      QUOTE]

Last time I check, fraud is a crime. Also, the FBI investigates white collar crimes.
                      Last time I checked, most of these questions are related to NYPD and it's a investigation question that ask which is "Most Difficult". If you know anything about Securities Fraud, there's always a paper trail as well as auto theft and burglary. Common sense!!! How are you going to prove that it was child abuse? What hard evidence do you have?

Do you send a NYPD detective to investigate a white collar crime? The poster did not state which agency. This question should be in "General Law Enforcement Topics".
                      NYPD Exam # 8305: (07.31.08)

* Medical: (10.27.08)
                      * Mini Medical: (10.27.08), (5.21.10), (2.23.11), (6.10.11)
                      * Meet with BI: Done (11.09.08)
                      * Written psychological: Done (1.23.09)
                      * Oral psychological: (1.27.09)
                      * JST: 3 min. 5 sec. (4.2.09), 3 min. 13 sec. (5.22.10), 3 min. 10 sec. (4.30.11)
                      * Medical: (2.23.11)

Got the call at 5:03pm on July 2nd, 2011.

July Academy

Comment

The OP never stated what agency the questions were for so I have no idea why you automatically assumed it's for the NYPD?

"Securities Fraud" has to deal with the SEC. That involves lawyers and forensic accountants that digs in deep to find what happened to the monies invested. Law enforcement is just that, enforces the law.
                        I was clearly telling you that Securities Fraud is a crime that gets investigated by the FBI which is enforcing a "law".

I never said your answer (D) was wrong. I think I recall I said it was more or less on the money but thanks for advising me how it works as far as a CA/N case . I'll keep that in mind next time I respond to one.

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

If it is something not investigated by the Police, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that would make it pretty hard for them to investigate.

From a test standpoint I would say the purpose of the question is to understand the "spirit" of the position as Police, as to understand what exactly you would and would not be dealing with as an LEO. Just my two cents.

Also, Child Abuse implies that child has in fact been abused, the question is who abused the child.

I would answer as the OP did.

Comment

A. Auto Theft
                            B. Burglary
                            C. Securities Fraud
                            D. Child Abuse/Neglect

2. You are stationed at a busy intersection and are given the description of a stolen vehicle. Of the following information, the one that will permit you to ELIMINATE most easily a large number of vehicles that you will observe is...
                            A. the stolen vehicle has no spare tire
                            B. the stolen vehicle is a 2006 Ford Mustang
                            C. the stolen vehicle is colored black
                            D. the stolen vehicle has tires that measure 750X16, white walled

I just B, because any car thats not a 2006 Ford Mustang can automatically be eliminated from your observation. In the class the "correct" answer is B. You can witness 5 black cars passing by at the same time so what good is that?

I know both of these questions appear in books like ARCO and Norman Halls and I have also had two different versions of a Norman Halls book, with the SAME questions, but with a different answers and explanations, so I know for a fact the books can be wrong. Is that the case in these two questions? Or is the instructor of the class actually giving the correct answer.
                            You"re on the fast track to the squad!
                            Last edited by kingofqueens718; 11-03-2009, 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
                            REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

Comment

Put it this way.... crime involving violence with people as victims = more difficult compared to property crimes, in my opinion.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4775 users online. 237 members and 4538 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X