300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question(s) regarding NYSP

Well first of all im new here, and have been viewing these forums for some quite time and i finally been approved by the forum admin (finally)

I have tried searching for this but could not find exactly what i wanted.

So, i know the next exam for NYSP is probably going to be in a few more years, which i can wait for. But while waiting for those few years i want to do something that can help me or give me a slightly better chance of getting into the academy.

I'm a student at college and going to be taking criminal justice next semester, by having a degree in CJ, does that help you or give you any better chance of acceptance to the academy or being in the NYPD?

Also, I will be taking the SCPD test in 2011 which I'm sure many other long islanders will be doing, but i have heard and read that they did not even hire barley anyone from the last test. So would anyone happen to know, is the NYSP the same way? do they just give out the test and not hire anyone or do they hire like a few people a year?

I'm also thinking about taking an internship with them, would this give me any advantage?

Any information regarding to my questions or other information i should know of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    NYPD Exam:2311
    Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
    Score: Pending...

SCPD
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Corrections:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD
    Score: Qualified.

NYSP
    Exam: Oct 12th 2013

They could care less what kind of degree you have, if you have your J.D. or M.D. You have to have 60 credits (even if it's in basketweaving and bocci ball) and score well on the Test to obtain a high list number.

If you have an internship that may help you to get a hook but nothing officially.

Comment

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
      They could care less what kind of degree you have, if you have your J.D. or M.D. You have to have 60 credits (even if it's in basketweaving and bocci ball) and score well on the Test to obtain a high list number.

If you have an internship that may help you to get a hook but nothing officially.
      Haha, Thanks for that.
      Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

If you're able to get the internship definitely go for it. You'll at least get exposure to the Agency and meet people. A Bachelor's degree may help you down the road (I don't know how their promotions work) but you can get it in whatever you'd like.

The way I've been told by some cops in my family is that they teach you all the Criminal Justice you need in the Academy. That's not to discourage your studies if you want to do that, but to encourage people who have degrees in other fields.

Comment

I'm not a Trooper nor am I an expert who you should guide your focus by but I'm just throwing out some advice I received from Cops to other people trying to get on like me lol

Comment

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
            If you're able to get the internship definitely go for it. You'll at least get exposure to the Agency and meet people. A Bachelor's degree may help you down the road (I don't know how their promotions work) but you can get it in whatever you'd like.

The way I've been told by some cops in my family is that they teach you all the Criminal Justice you need in the Academy. That's not to discourage your studies if you want to do that, but to encourage people who have degrees in other fields.
            Thanks' for that, And the only way i can do an internship is if i major in criminal justice (that's one of the main reasons why i want to take CJ) But i feel like as if it will help me later on in life, for instances if i wanted to go with NCIS... or would CJ not help me in something like that? I
            Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

If I was to do it over again, i would NOT take CJ as a major in college. It's a relatively useless major by itself, you'd be better off majoring in english or something in marketing/finance so you'd have something to fall back on...CJ is useless unless you want to be a paralegal or have plans for law school.

Comment

I was going to also go for CJ, but I decided that I'm going for Nursing. It might look good to hire a recruit that has some medical knowledge and if anything ever happens I have a whole 'nother career that would be my second choice to fall back on.

Comment

LINY, my dad (retired HAPD then NYPD after merger) tells me everyday to major in Nursing or Physician's Assistant even if I want to be a cop. Idk if anyone remembers this story...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...d_robbery.html

but the "Tactical Medic" who responded and saved his life is a Physician's Assistant (Det. Dennis Canale--1 of 2 in the entire NYPD)

Plus, if you get on it'll be easy to get a job after you retire!

Comment

Prior Military is a BIG deal as far as the NYSP is concerned -and that's ALL I know
                    RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                      If I was to do it over again, i would NOT take CJ as a major in college. It's a relatively usyou eless major by itself, you'd be better off majoring in english or something in marketing/finance so you'd have something to fall back on...CJ is useless unless you want to be a paralegal or have plans for law school.
                      I agree I was a CJ major then switched to Business as a backup. The only job you need a CJ degree is Probation or Parole officer.

Comment

I realized the same thing when I was in college as a CJ major... I ended up picking up psychology as a second major (and now am in grad school and will probably be a psychologist before the nypd calls).

LINY thats a great idea. Nursing or PA is a great thing, 100 percent go for it. There's nothing better than coming out of college with a degree for a specific job like nursing.

If your in a 4 year program and interested in CJ for got it, but I would def pick up a second major as well. Most people don't realize a second major doesn't require any additional credits... my college required 120 credits to graduate including something like 40 general education requirements everybody has to satisfy. then your major sets requirements (like 40 credits in their program) which leaves you 40 extra credits of free electives. So you can either take random classes that count towards nothing, or carefully schedule your classes to satisfy the requirements for a second major and you have a dual degree. highly recommended

Comment

but to answer your question, no. Having a CJ degree won't help you for any civil service police job. I don't think probation or parole requires it either, but I could be wrong.

If your only doing it for the internship find another field your interested in, and then pick up CJ as a minor. A minor is only a few classes and you can do the internship.
                          Last edited by options open; 11-08-2009, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                            I was going to also go for CJ, but I decided that I'm going for Nursing. It might look good to hire a recruit that has some medical knowledge and if anything ever happens I have a whole 'nother career that would be my second choice to fall back on.
                            Just remember, the only way to shake off the male nurse thing is to buy a Ducati. Got that Focker? Seriously tho, thats an excellent field, I was recently thinking about ti myself.

Anyhow NYSP is my dream LE agency. It sounds crazy, but Id choose NYSP over any of the higher paying agencies on the island. Theres something about that militant look they have that commands respect. I like that.

Comment

thecongo wrote:

"Theres something about that militant look they have that commands respect. I like that."

I hope you meant "Military" look, rather than "militant".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5068 users online. 287 members and 4781 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X