300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk PD

While officials from Suffolk's district attorney and sheriff offices came to the legislature Wednesday asking for more money in their 2010 budgets, Police Commissioner Richard Dormer said he needs nothing more than what County Executive Steve Levy proposed.

"I'm not here looking for you to enhance the proposed budget that the county executive sent over to the legislature," Dormer told the Public Safety Committee.

Legislators Wednesday virtually begged Dormer to ask for more resources. The Legislative Budget Review Office recommended adding one or two classes of 100 police officers each in the 2010 budget.

The commissioner said he will manage fine without them.

"I want to give you as much support as possible, but it seems like I'm fighting with you to help you," Legis. Jack Eddington (I-Medford) said. "Am I nuts?"

Levy proposed eliminating 60 police officers in his budget, though he has pledged to rescind the cut once the county reaches an agreement with the Police Benevolent Association on a new contract that includes a lag payroll. Dormer, who said he expects the agreement soon, said the department would "manage" if it loses 60 officers.

"I deal with whatever I get," Dormer said. "Whatever resources we get, we will manage them the best we can."

Dormer also sought to alleviate concerns that the county has seen an increase in violent robberies and assaults this year. While he said the department has moved to address the issue, he said not to pay heed to the statistics.

"You see spikes in crime all the time," he said. "I like to look at it over a year before you really get a good reading about what has happened. But even if we get an uptick, we do respond to it."

In other testimony, an aide to Sheriff Vincent DeMarco asked legislators to follow a Budget Review Office recommendation to add 20 more positions than the 20 Levy proposed. The aide warned that the state may forbid the county from opening its new jail, planned for completion in 2011, if it fails to meet state-mandated staffing levels.

"We simply cannot wait until the last minute to hire additional staff required to run the new facility," said Chief Michael Sharkey.

Sharkey said the sheriff's department expects to spend between $700,000 and $800,000 to pay overtime to deputy sheriffs assigned to patrol the Long Island Expressway and Sunrise Highway. Sharkey said deputy sheriffs account for about $6 million of the $22.6 million the sheriff's office has requested for 2010, with the rest going to correction officers.

Meanwhile, Bob Keron, a division chief for District Attorney Thomas Spota, asked lawmakers to add $1 million to his office's personnel budget to fill 24 vacant positions, which includes nine posts for investigators.

Originally posted by joeycp View Post
    While officials from Suffolk's district attorney and sheriff offices came to the legislature Wednesday asking for more money in their 2010 budgets, Police Commissioner Richard Dormer said he needs nothing more than what County Executive Steve Levy proposed.

"I'm not here looking for you to enhance the proposed budget that the county executive sent over to the legislature," Dormer told the Public Safety Committee.

Legislators Wednesday virtually begged Dormer to ask for more resources. The Legislative Budget Review Office recommended adding one or two classes of 100 police officers each in the 2010 budget.

The commissioner said he will manage fine without them.

"I want to give you as much support as possible, but it seems like I'm fighting with you to help you," Legis. Jack Eddington (I-Medford) said. "Am I nuts?"

Levy proposed eliminating 60 police officers in his budget, though he has pledged to rescind the cut once the county reaches an agreement with the Police Benevolent Association on a new contract that includes a lag payroll. Dormer, who said he expects the agreement soon, said the department would "manage" if it loses 60 officers.

"I deal with whatever I get," Dormer said. "Whatever resources we get, we will manage them the best we can."

Dormer also sought to alleviate concerns that the county has seen an increase in violent robberies and assaults this year. While he said the department has moved to address the issue, he said not to pay heed to the statistics.

"You see spikes in crime all the time," he said. "I like to look at it over a year before you really get a good reading about what has happened. But even if we get an uptick, we do respond to it."

In other testimony, an aide to Sheriff Vincent DeMarco asked legislators to follow a Budget Review Office recommendation to add 20 more positions than the 20 Levy proposed. The aide warned that the state may forbid the county from opening its new jail, planned for completion in 2011, if it fails to meet state-mandated staffing levels.

"We simply cannot wait until the last minute to hire additional staff required to run the new facility," said Chief Michael Sharkey.

Sharkey said the sheriff's department expects to spend between $700,000 and $800,000 to pay overtime to deputy sheriffs assigned to patrol the Long Island Expressway and Sunrise Highway. Sharkey said deputy sheriffs account for about $6 million of the $22.6 million the sheriff's office has requested for 2010, with the rest going to correction officers.

Meanwhile, Bob Keron, a division chief for District Attorney Thomas Spota, asked lawmakers to add $1 million to his office's personnel budget to fill 24 vacant positions, which includes nine posts for investigators.

Atleast someone is standing up and talking about what the county really needs not what levy wants. Both the Sheriffs office and the Suffolk Police are short handed. They need to hire. End of story.

Comment

In all fairness to the suffolk PD, They are a great force with a ton of great resources. It is not a matter of hiring the police officers or deps it is maintaining their salary. If you go to SEETHROUGHNY.NET You can see the salaries of all of suffolk and nassau cops, CO's, Deps, Teachers ETC. We all know that suffolk Pd is like hitting the lotto but it is too expensive to maintain these guys. I have a friend who has been on since 06 and he has a base over 100k. That is out of control. Start putting guys out will a lower salary like what the city used to be. If you want guys who are going to be the best at their jobs it will be guys who are here for the job and not the salary. If suffolk could put in a class of 250-500 of guys who arent making out of control money their could be more room for foot patrols, bike patrol, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 2010DEP View Post
        In all fairness to the suffolk PD, They are a great force with a ton of great resources. It is not a matter of hiring the police officers or deps it is maintaining their salary. If you go to SEETHROUGHNY.NET You can see the salaries of all of suffolk and nassau cops, CO's, Deps, Teachers ETC. We all know that suffolk Pd is like hitting the lotto but it is too expensive to maintain these guys. I have a friend who has been on since 06 and he has a base over 100k. That is out of control. Start putting guys out will a lower salary like what the city used to be. If you want guys who are going to be the best at their jobs it will be guys who are here for the job and not the salary. If suffolk could put in a class of 250-500 of guys who arent making out of control money their could be more room for foot patrols, bike patrol, etc.
        Isnt the new contract going to do just that. Much lower starting salary?

Comment

Don't waste your breath.....no new SCPD classes till Levy is out....end of story.

Comment

Dormer=Tool
            Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Originally posted by jerry40 View Post
              Don't waste your breath.....no new SCPD classes till Levy is out....end of story.
              Your totally right. Simple as that. Glad 25,000+ took the exam and paid the $100.00 fee...

Comment

Ehh, only 2.5 million out of our pockets for NO reason. We all took the test knowing we prob. wont get this job, i wish we would have known that NO ONE is getting the job. Thieves!!! I wish they had to refund our money back for not hiring anyone. I could care less about the money, i just dont feel the county should get 2.5 million richer for doing nothing at all.

Comment

Levy and Dormer, two peas in a pod. Dormer is a sell out.

Comment

Originally posted by 2010DEP View Post
                    The other night SCPD collared an armed ex-nypd that had just shot his ex-wife numerous times. Tell those guys they make too much money.

With all due respect DEP2010, get back to me with your opinion after you've had 5 or so years on the job....I'm willing to bet your opinion will be different.

As in all other aspects of life, you get what you pay for.

The high cost of living on LI is due in VERY large part to the school taxes, NOT the police district tax.
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

The School tax and Energy tax are hurting us a lot more!

Comment

Dormer is not a sell-out.........He has no conscience to sell. Dormer is nothing more than a political hack.

Comment

There's a reason why Dormer was relieved of his duties as a chief once before. Only a political hack like Levy would bring back a guy to a higher position after he failed once. Only in politics, right?

Its just so sad to me that one politician can run a department with such a good name into the ground. The design of the government is flawed, there are no "checks and balances." If there were, the Legislature would've put an end to Levy's antics a long time ago. They all know (except for maybe Barraga) that Zwirn and Dormer lie to their faces at Public Safety meetings, but they can't do a damn thing about it. Levy is running the department and the Legislature, no different than you and I, is just along for the wild ride.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnimal View Post
                            There's a reason why Dormer was relieved of his duties as a chief once before. Only a political hack like Levy would bring back a guy to a higher position after he failed once. Only in politics, right?

Its just so sad to me that one politician can run a department with such a good name into the ground. The design of the government is flawed, there are no "checks and balances." If there were, the Legislature would've put an end to Levy's antics a long time ago. They all know (except for maybe Barraga) that Zwirn and Dormer lie to their faces at Public Safety meetings, but they can't do a damn thing about it. Levy is running the department and the Legislature, no different than you and I, is just along for the wild ride.
                            Actually, subponeas from the Legislature are forthcoming, answers will have to be given, under oath....
                            "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                            but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
                              Actually, subponeas from the Legislature are forthcoming, answers will have to be given, under oath....
                              I wouldn't put it past Levy to take the risk of having Dormer lie under oath, and if he ever does get caught, he'll just replace "the reformer" with another puppet. Of course Levy would say he had nothing to do with it and can't control what Dormer says, but you know how it is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5115 users online. 287 members and 4828 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X