• Show
Clear All

• EnWhyPeeDee
    replied
    Rockland County

Leave a comment:

• NYnoMORE
    replied
    Where else can you self sponsor in the orange, ulster, dutchess county area? I heard of Ulster comm. college offering it.

Leave a comment:

• Sled
    replied
    "And I have heard of uncertified guys on their own making arrests. As long as you have someone help you process the defendant correctly, and you can articulate why you made the arrest I don't think the certification really matters."

That does not sound right. I am not doubting it but I do not think it is a good idea. I think the certification didn't matter because no one made a stink about it. If that came to light, I think the lawyers (defendants, DA's, and the municipalities' lawyers) would have alot to say about it. The supervisors would probably have alot to answer for. I would not want to be anywhere near that if something were to go wrong, there would be almost no way to defend it.
    Nothing has to actually go wrong, just an allegation would be enough to start that ball rolling.
    Last edited by Sled; 11-01-2009, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nycop
    replied
    When I went thru the academy a couple of the guys were paying their way and were making 7.00 an hour. That sucks but you have to be employed as a police officer by a dept. to go thru an academy so they kinda have you by the short hairs..Once you get the certification you can be a lot more picky.

And I have heard of uncertified guys on their own making arrests. As long as you have someone help you process the defendant correctly, and you can articulate why you made the arrest I don't think the certification really matters.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Clarification- 13 something an hour and the cost of the Academy is As-
    My wow was in shock for the hourly pay. Last Christmas working part time at Depot I made 14 hr.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Bro you guys don't have the taxes we do in Albany.

I lived in Staten Island, my taxes were 2200 a year. In Albany I am paying 9400.00 a year. granted my home is twice the size of the one in Staten Island.

The only difference is housing in regards to price. gas-food-drinks (out of tourist traps) all the same.

Leave a comment:

• LINY
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    WOW-Just Wow is all I can say to that.
    The cost of living upstate is a lot lower then it is here.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Most of the part time police officers I know are full time police officers in another department and are just trying to make some extra money. A guy I went to high school with got hired by a village police department in Orange County as a part time cop, but a condition of his employment was that he had to sponsor himself through a police academy. The department would not pay for it. He had to live at home with his parents for the six months (It was a full time academy that ran Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm) while he was in the academy. He was not able to work during the academy and had to pay the $2,500 to sponsor himself through. He now works for the village police department and gets paid $13.74 an hour at about 20 hours a week and with no benefits.
    WOW-Just Wow is all I can say to that.

Leave a comment:

• SupraRy
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    Any Sheriff Departments in Albany-Schenectady -Troy Area offer a PT program?
    No, not that I'm aware of.

Leave a comment:

• MRG_90
    replied
    Originally posted by CO1989 View Post
    Nope - you can go out on patrol - I'm just not sure if you can patrol alone. I had a co-worker that just last year was working part time as a village copper and he hadn't been to the police academy yet. He seemed to always have a partner though.
    Really? Im 19 and I would love to do that within a year or so, before going onto a full time dept. I just feel that there is such a liability factor. Plus if you make an arrest, and at some point have to testify in trial about that arrest, the defense is going to RIP you apart, about not being certifed or having the proper training. Although if your riding with someone and they make the arrest, I can see where it would work out.

Leave a comment:

• CO1989
    replied
    Originally posted by Sled View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but working uncertified for a year does not mean you are on patrol with a weapon and locking people up, I think you are working the desk or going on patrol with someone else. I doubt any municipality would want to go near that if it was true.
    Nope - you can go out on patrol - I'm just not sure if you can patrol alone. I had a co-worker that just last year was working part time as a village copper and he hadn't been to the police academy yet. He seemed to always have a partner though.

Leave a comment:

• NFA5426
    replied
    In New York State, it is just as competitive and difficult to get hired as a part time police officer as it is to get hired as a full time police officer. The reason for this is that all of the police departments I know of that hire part time police officers, require the applicant to already be a police officer that has graduated from a police academy, have already sponsored themselves through a police academy or be willing to sponsor themselves through an academy. I have never heard of a police department or sheriff's office sponsoring an applicant through a police academy for a part time position. Most of the part time police officers I know are full time police officers in another department and are just trying to make some extra money. A guy I went to high school with got hired by a village police department in Orange County as a part time cop, but a condition of his employment was that he had to sponsor himself through a police academy. The department would not pay for it. He had to live at home with his parents for the six months (It was a full time academy that ran Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm) while he was in the academy. He was not able to work during the academy and had to pay the $2,500 to sponsor himself through. He now works for the village police department and gets paid $13.74 an hour at about 20 hours a week and with no benefits. The down side of being a part time cop is that you get no benefits, and the municipality can pay you whatever they want, not what the current PBA contract is. Being a part time cop isn’t a bad deal if you are already a certified police officer or are willing and able to sponsor yourself through an academy.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Any Sheriff Departments in Albany-Schenectady -Troy Area offer a PT program?

Leave a comment:

• Sled
    replied
    Originally posted by nycop View Post
    Something I find funny..you can work as a police officer for a year uncertified, but you can only work as a peace officer for six months uncertified. Only in NYS...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but working uncertified for a year does not mean you are on patrol with a weapon and locking people up, I think you are working the desk or going on patrol with someone else. I doubt any municipality would want to go near that if it was true.

Leave a comment:

• nycop
    replied
    Something I find funny..you can work as a police officer for a year uncertified, but you can only work as a peace officer for six months uncertified. Only in NYS...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3036 users online. 176 members and 2860 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X