300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time Police Depts.

Hey everyone, ive been on this site for awhile...first time posting. Ive been looking at some part time departments in the upstate ny area. when hired by a dept. is it true that they have up to a year to send you to an academy...ive heard from many people this is true. although my question is, if that is true then how do you obtain fire arms training? obvisouly you cant carry a gun until you have recieved the training.
    Albany PD Written Exam 11/11/09 -Awaiting Results.

Rensselaer County C.O Written -Passed.
    Rensselaer County C.O Agility -Passed.
    Rensselaer County C.O Interview -Waiting.

You can work uncertified for one year. I know a few people that started that way and worked while waiting for the academy to start. As far as carrying a duty weapon, usually a firearms instructor will take you out and have you qualify, go over article 35, and you can carry till your trained in the academy.
    Choose a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Comment

LOL! THATS INSANE!

Interesting but insane!
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

That's true in many parts of the country, not only upstate NY

Comment

Thanks! I knew of one person that had done it. I wasnt sure if it was common.

Comment

I work for a part time PD... all departments have a year to have their officers trained. I have not heard of too many waiting. It was a more common practice years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bxhousing View Post
              I work for a part time PD... all departments have a year to have their officers trained. I have not heard of too many waiting. It was a more common practice years ago.
              Maybe a silly question, but what did you mean by part time PD??

Comment

they either hire police officers that work part time or the dept as a whole doesn't provide policing services 24/7/365.

by me there are a few depts that hire part time officers (esp seasonal). but they don't send your through the academy, you have to come to them having gone through it ( believe it's suffolk academy that you have to pay your way through) on your own.

Comment

is it suffolk county? i know theres the zone 14 academy, not sure if its the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ImportInvasion View Post
                    Maybe a silly question, but what did you mean by part time PD??
                    Yeah, it's just a PD that employs part-time cops. The PD I work for has full time cops and provides 24 hour service, but also uses part-timers to fill in the gaps. Coming from downstate this is something that I did not know existed, but provides a nice opportunity to people that are employed in another industry and want to do police work on the side or to those like me that just have plenty of free time and want to make extra dough in addition to my regular full time gig.

Comment

Does the Part Timers have to fit into the age requirement?
                      NY for full time the age cut off is 34.
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                        Does the Part Timers have to fit into the age requirement?
                        NY for full time the age cut off is 34.

No. they do not have the age limit, plenty of the part-timers are retired cops who started part-time well into the 40's and 50's.

Comment

Anyone know if Erie County offers this part time service? I would love to do this before going onto fultime or while waiting to be hired.

Comment

Originally posted by Caiman View Post
                            Anyone know if Erie County offers this part time service? I would love to do this before going onto fultime or while waiting to be hired.
                            There are many departments in and around Erie County that have part time officers or are entirely made up of part time officers.

Comment

this is interesting to me.

is there a list of departments/agencies that employ part time officers in this state?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4508 users online. 248 members and 4260 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X