Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precinct Assignment

Hey all,

Once you finish up with the academy, you will be assigned to a precinct, where ever you are needed I'm sure. It will be an impact unit, somewhere with a spike in crime, correct?

But where are you usually placed, or expected to be placed with the above already mentioned. If you live in say Queens, will you remain in Queens, or could you wind up in Manhattan? Do they just make sure you are a few districts away from where you live or could you end up in anywhere in NYC? Also, once you are finished up with impact, after a year or whatever, do you stay in the same precinct or do you get moved again, or do you get to select or how does that work.

Also, Impact, which is a foot patrol, what is after Impact. Are you in a car, or whatever. What happens after that, do you have options or are your assigned. Just curious as to what happens after you done with impact. And at what point can you apply to specialized units like narcotics or vice, etc, and how difficult/long does it take to be accepted to those units.

I know I have seen this stuff mentioned elsewhere, just haven't been able to hunt down the thread or where it was stated.

Thanks for the help.

In a nutshell, you can be put anywhere in the city but generally not too far of a commute. If you live in UPSTATE NY they generally put you in a bronx impact unit, if you live in queens, they will put you somewhere in queens. GENERALLY. They cannot accomidate everyone. Sometimes you stay in the pct and sometimes you dont. It all depends on the need of the department.

It takes about 5 years to apply to any specialized units, but due to attrition they will probably take you after probation. It is competitive. They want lots of arrests on your record, no or little disciplinary actions and little to no sick time taken.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

"It takes about 5 years to apply to any specialized units, but due to attrition they will probably take you after probation."

Is probation your Impact time or is that something different. How long do you do impact for?

So normally, it is 5 years before you can apply to say narcotics, but currently, they need replacements so you could potentially be taken far sooner that that. I'm sure it is very competitive. What do you do after probation or you impact period is over? Are you just on patrol in a car, or is there still a foot post?

8 hours outdoors walking around in winter in New York must be rough.

Comment

Probation is two years, it has nothing to do with anything else.

Comment

First off, have you taken the exam? If so how long ago.

Its pretty pointless in asking and answering your questions if you have not even started the hiring process.

The typical wait time due to older exams(pre-$42k starting) and all of those in between, its about at least 3 years to get hired.

Things change all the time. Who knows if there will be enough cops to go to impact anymore. It doesnt look like it. Usually precincts would get 50+ cops at a time, now its just 10, if that.

Probation is 2 years. After impact you either stay in that assigned precinct or you get transferred within or out of the boro to another precinct.

It all depends on the NEEDS OF THE DEPARTMENT. Noone here knows their needs and we cannot predict what they will do, not even 24 hours in advance noone knows.
          Last edited by NYCTNT; 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Generally speaking,
            if you live:

North of the city (Putnam, Rockland, Orange or Westchester County)-
            you will most likely go to the Bronx or Manhattan North

The Bronx- You will most likely go to the Bronx or Manhattan North or South.

Brooklyn- Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens. (Staten Island???-possible).

Staten Island-Staten Island, Brooklyn, or Manhattan South

Manhattan-Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn

Queens-Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan

Long Island- Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn

These are not in concrete-only in general, depending on exactly where you live, and the whim of the person plugging in the names when it comes to transfers from the Academy, you could, in theory end up anywhere. This is based on people I know and where they live, and where they ended up. I am sure there are exceptions, but like I said, this is to show where you would most likely be assigned.

Comment

Thanks, good info.

I had wanted to work somewhere busy. Again, I am not a NYC person, so don't know where is busy and I don't know what is considered busy in New York.

My girlfriend is looking forward to the move in a couple of years when the hiring picks up, and she wants to live in Manhatten. Told her she can pay the obscene rent, but just curious where I could end up if I lived in Manhatten.

So thanks.

Comment

I dont know anyone from LI that got the Bronx after the academy...think its safe to take that out.

Comment

yeah i live in nassau and was wondering where i'd end up. from this info here:

it seems i can go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyS View Post
                    yeah i live in nassau and was wondering where i'd end up. from this info here:

it seems i can go anywhere.

No one goes to the Bronx, just mentioned that above^^^

You'll get Queens if you have a hook, get Manhattan South (Midtown South) if you got a hook, so most likely you'll end up in BK.

Comment

i guess its time to find me a hook

Comment

binzo wrote;

"I dont know anyone from LI that got the Bronx after the academy."

I know quite a few cops from LI that work in the Bronx, maybe no one from your academy company was assigned, but there are many that live in LI and commute to the Bronx.

Comment

Were they assigned there because they got jammed up or got in trouble? Ive heard stories of people that live in eastern suffolk and got punished and were assigned to SI and BX to make it a pain in the *** for them to commute there. I'm talkin straight out of the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by binzo View Post
                            Were they assigned there because they got jammed up or got in trouble? Ive heard stories of people that live in eastern suffolk and got punished and were assigned to SI and BX to make it a pain in the *** for them to commute there. I'm talkin straight out of the academy.
                            Assigned to SI straight of the Academy? I'm curious how that'd work out since they don't have an Impact in SI and SI as a whole seems like it would be a 'C' House. Wouldn't they be riding in a car then?

Comment

Staten Island does have a pseudo impact unit, its some IRT or something.

Basically if you LIVE on SI you get assigned to SI.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3046 users online. 145 members and 2901 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X