300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim cop sues city after identity theft flap had him labeled a terrorist

A Muslim NYPD cop is set to sue the city and the feds after he was targeted by air marshals, triggering a year-long probe in which he was stripped of his gun and badge.

Shahin Miah, 32, was eventually cleared of wrongdoing and is back on the job - but the Bangladeshi-born officer says he's tormented by colleagues who call him "Al Qaeda."

"I'm a good citizen of this country," Miah told the Daily News in an exclusive interview.

"All my family are hardworking. We are normal. This only happened because my color is brown and I'm Muslim.

"Nobody has ever given me an answer - what made them think I was a terrorist?"

The NYPD investigated the rookie because the feds suspected him of overseas money laundering, but it turned out he was the victim of identity theft.

Miah says that's news to him - and insists that if he had not been racially profiled at Kennedy Airport, the entire mess could have been avoided.

It started July 4, 2007, when Miah drove his sisters and nieces to JFK for a flight to London and accompanied them to the British Airways counter.

Two air marshals approached and asked him for ID.

"They laughed at me when I showed my ID, and one guy says, 'I work for the federal, you work for the city - I have more authority than you,'" Miah said. "He said I looked 'suspicious' and asked me how long I had been in the country."

They let him leave, then came running in the parking lot and demanded his driver's license, Miah said. He was detained for an hour while they ran his name through databases, he said.

When Miah returned home to Queens, a sergeant from the local precinct showed up and said he'd been notified of the airport stop. The next day, Miah was ordered to turn in his badge and gun while he was investigated.

"The Police Department bought into the air marshals' racial stereotyping, even though there was no basis to investigate their own employee," said Miah's lawyer, Eric Sanders of the law firm of Jeffrey Goldberg in Lake Success, L.I.

When Internal Affairs interrogated Miah 10 months later, it was clear his financial and travel records had been examined. A lieutenant asked Miah if he knew any terrorists.

"It was insulting," said Miah, whose uncle died working at Windows on the World on 9/11.

Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said the NYPD placed Miah on modified duty because of the feds' suspicions.

"He was modified until it was determined that he was the victim of identity theft, and that someone using his identity was engaged in overseas money laundering," he said.

A spokesman for the air marshals said racial profiling is not practiced.

Miah immigrated to New York in 1993, served as a police cadet and worked in a youth program for the Queens district attorney before joining the force - his "dream job" - in 2006.

He's assigned to Brooklyn's 75th Precinct and was injured last month capturing a robber.

He intends to sue the city and the Department of Homeland Security for "the worst nightmare I ever went through in my life," he said. "It's like someone on the street making a false allegation against you - but this was the government."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0U7pAlhNB
    C.O 37

Too bad you belong to a religion which is the main exporter of terrorism in the world.
    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
      Too bad you belong to a religion which is the main exporter of terrorism in the world.
      Ignorant comment.

He has the right to be angry. I would hate to have been through a similar situation, with everyone thinking I am a terrorist, especially in NYC. Basically they ruined his name.
      Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Can you please tell me which religion you belong to?
        Oops you don't belong to any.
        STUPID AND IGNORANT
        C.O 37

Comment

I can't even imagine that... it'll be interesting to see how this case pans out, if anyone comes across updates, please post.

Comment

nevermind the whole situation with religion and terrorism going on right now, but this also goes to show how easily people get "jammed" up on this job. you get modified over everything and nothing

honestly, if I was in the same situation, I'd be similarly angry, and i too would sue the **** out of the city if I was treated in such a manner

Comment

I fail to see what they did wrong. Sounds like a consensual encounter, which if anyone, a police officer should know his rights during.

Then even before the checks came back, he was free to go (again consensual). The checks came back and they had RS to detain him. Someone using his info was laundering money. Turned out it wasn't him, but I would hope that law enforcement would investigate that whether its an officer or not.

Comment

The same could have been said about Christianity at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                  I fail to see what they did wrong. Sounds like a consensual encounter, which if anyone, a police officer should know his rights during.

Then even before the checks came back, he was free to go (again consensual). The checks came back and they had RS to detain him. Someone using his info was laundering money. Turned out it wasn't him, but I would hope that law enforcement would investigate that whether its an officer or not.

Thats not the point, the point is that he was proven guilty without having a chance to prove his innocence.

Being modified for almost a year and a half while they conduct their "investigation" at a near snails pace is pathetic and really hurts the pocket of any cop in the city with basically NO overtime.
                  Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

The only way to be sure that you do not investigate the innocent is to investigate no one.

We have no factual basis for assessing the reasonableness of the investigation, and I do not expect the facts to be forthcoming.

If you have ever tried to research someone with an Arabic name, you would appreciate that doibng so is extremely difficult and is usually complicated by the fact that a single name may be transliterated in several ways, and individuals often have several names.
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Well said sir.

Comment

That really sucks.
                        APONY
                        STAND UP GUY

Comment

Exactly, what a disgrace
                          Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                          Thats not the point, the point is that he was proven guilty without having a chance to prove his innocence.

Being modified for almost a year and a half while they conduct their "investigation" at a near snails pace is pathetic and really hurts the pocket of any cop in the city with basically NO overtime.
                          RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                            The only way to be sure that you do not investigate the innocent is to investigate no one.

We have no factual basis for assessing the reasonableness of the investigation, and I do not expect the facts to be forthcoming.

If you have ever tried to research someone with an Arabic name, you would appreciate that doibng so is extremely difficult and is usually complicated by the fact that a single name may be transliterated in several ways, and individuals often have several names.

I can probably piece together a life size jigsaw puzzle of the Statue of Liberty in two years. You mean to tell me that, we, the biggest and baddest nation against terrorism, and the nation with the most technology cannot find a way to prove this mans innocence in a REASONABLE amount of time?.

Two years of watching your career turn to shambles is surely not reasonable.
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

The true tragedy of this situation is the incrediably slow pace at which the NYPD conducts their investigations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6292 users online. 334 members and 5958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X