300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedules

I keep reading about 5 on 2 off & 5 on 3 off (which for the 1st one I know to read it as 5 work days with 2 days off). The other one I am having a hard time understanding. Wouldn't it be 4 days of work and 3 days off (7 day week) or am I missing something?

Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
    I keep reading about 5 on 2 off & 5 on 3 off (which for the 1st one I know to read it as 5 work days with 2 days off). The other one I am having a hard time understanding. Wouldn't it be 4 days of work and 3 days off (7 day week) or am I missing something?
    What's so hard to understand? Every other week you have an extra day off.

One week you'll have Friday and Saturday off....the next you'll have Friday, Saturday and Sunday....the following week Saturday and Sunday...the next Saturday, Sunday, Monday....and so on. Your days off rotate.
    REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingofqueens718 View Post

One week you'll have Friday and Saturday off....the next you'll have Friday, Saturday and Sunday....the following week Saturday and Sunday...the next Saturday, Sunday, Monday....and so on. Your days off rotate.
      Your reading must really not be up to par. What week has 8 days?

Of course I understood the rationale in the "5 on 2 off & 5 on 3 off" meant some kind of rotation schedule for the officers. I was referring to why the latter was dubbed 5 on 3 off in a 7 day work week that's all.

Remember - some of us have only been on this site a handful of days and are not accustomed to all of the lingo just yet.

Thanks.

Comment

You have to lose the traditional idea of a 7 day work week. On the 5 on 3 off you will work 5 consecutive days and then you will be off for the next three. You will work different days of the week and be off on different days as your schedule rotates through the cycle.

If you worked Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri of a particular week you would be off Sat, Sun, and Mon. You would then return to work on Tues. Your five then would be Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and you would be off Sun, Mon, and Tues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellinger View Post
          You have to lose the traditional idea of a 7 day work week. On the 5 on 3 off you will work 5 consecutive days and then you will be off for the next three. You will work different days of the week and be off on different days as your schedule rotates through the cycle.

If you worked Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri of a particular week you would be off Sat, Sun, and Mon. You would then return to work on Tues. Your five then would be Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and you would be off Sun, Mon, and Tues.

I appreciate that explanation Bellinger now it makes sense to me. Let me ask you does one schedule always rotate as you stated above or is it like that just in the beginning as one is "paying their dues"?

Comment

I am not currently employed with any agency as I am still in the background phase with several departments so I can not give you a definite answer. There are several guys on here that can tell you with 100% accuracy. Give them some time and I am sure they will post a repy to your question.

Comment

Thanks......

Comment

easier

This may be helpful;

1 work, 2 work, 3 work, 4 work, 5 work: 1 off, 2 off, 3 off:
                1 work, 2 work, 3 work, 4 work, 5 work: 1 off, 2 off:
                1 work, 2 work, 3 work, 4 work, 5 work: 1 off, 2 off 3 off:
                1 work, 2 work, 3 work, 4 work, 5 work: 1 off, 2 off:

etc/etc.

Don't think of 7 day weeks or names of days.

Comment

That's how I came to understood it after Bellinger's explanation BigWill2876....

Comment

I actually think the way they have it worked it out is very neat. Inconvenient if you like having things on set days, but neat.

Comment

NYPD28 wrote;

"Let me ask you does one schedule always rotate as you stated above or is it like that just in the beginning as one is "paying their dues"?"
                      There are many different schedules, depending on your assignment. Evryone starts in the basic chart, the 5 on 2 off-5 on, 3 off rotation. how long you stay there depends on many, many things. Some stay on it a year or two and get transferred, some stay on patrol for twenty years.

Comment

Inconvience is LE middle name

IF you want conveniece then go elsewhere, Muphy's Law was INVENTED for law enforecment !

Story; Working 3-11 on X-Mas eve, lived only 5 minutes from the Bloomfield Barracks on GSP, so should be good to go for big family party at home for X-Mas eve.......wrong.
                        MV accident, DWI to local hospital. Had to close GSP North AND Southbound, so the big shots are asking what is going on. Open up roadway and go to hospital to try to get blood drawn for BAC. HOURS later get the blood (note this a normal delay, ref PO Kelly, even in NJ). Voucher blood evidence.
                        Home in time for cookies and milk as kids get up at crack of dawn...

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
                          Your reading must really not be up to par. What week has 8 days?

Of course I understood the rationale in the "5 on 2 off & 5 on 3 off" meant some kind of rotation schedule for the officers. I was referring to why the latter was dubbed 5 on 3 off in a 7 day work week that's all.

Remember - some of us have only been on this site a handful of days and are not accustomed to all of the lingo just yet.

Thanks.
                          My reading is quite fine...you're the one having a hard time figuring out something so friggin easy
                          Last edited by kingofqueens718; 10-15-2009, 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
                          REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
                            IF you want conveniece then go elsewhere, Muphy's Law was INVENTED for law enforecment !

Story; Working 3-11 on X-Mas eve, lived only 5 minutes from the Bloomfield Barracks on GSP, so should be good to go for big family party at home for X-Mas eve.......wrong.
                            MV accident, DWI to local hospital. Had to close GSP North AND Southbound, so the big shots are asking what is going on. Open up roadway and go to hospital to try to get blood drawn for BAC. HOURS later get the blood (note this a normal delay, ref PO Kelly, even in NJ). Voucher blood evidence.
                            Home in time for cookies and milk as kids get up at crack of dawn...
                            Those that are fortunate enough to graduate from the academy, I am sure, are going to have to deal with situations just like that; comes with the territory.
                            Last edited by NYPD28; 10-15-2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofqueens718 View Post

Hey NYPD28, don't mind king of queens...Mets fans usually exhibit this type of behavior. Letssss gooo Yankeeeesss!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3506 users online. 250 members and 3256 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X