300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thecongo View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAMEN! FINALLY...some positivity! so many people go thru the process smoothly with no worries.
    Have you also gone through the process thecongo?

Comment

Originally posted by AtreyuRock View Post
      With all due respect, its a bit unsettling to hear that you want our job now b/c the pay is better, when you had people who took this job no matter the pay when it was at its lowest b/c they had the desire and passion to be in law enforcement.
      I highly doubt even when the pay was low people took the pay because it was their "passion". Im sure this holds true for a lot of guys especially the ones outta the military...but for the average joe, even 59k after 5 years seemed like a lot. I don't think I've ever met a current NYPD officer or retired that truly joined because he felt it was his "Calling" or "passion". Yes, its sad...and believe me I truly understand where you come from because l also believe that a cop whos not in it for the money will probably make the better/braver cop.
      Money, in some way, moves us all, some people are just more hell bent on getting it. If you took any NYPD cop patrolling Jamaica estates at 76k a year, and offered him 30k more a year in NCPD patrolling hempstead...which do you think he'd choose? If he says NYPD, I commend him...hes a special breed.

My parents respect LE, but they've never to this day fully support me wanting to be a cop. My father always told me that a cop was a "frustrated student". Its funny, because I would always think he was crazy when he said that, yet lately his comments seem to be holding true for A LOT of guys.

Comment

My parents respect LE, but they've never to this day fully support me wanting to be a cop. My father always told me that a cop was a "frustrated student". Its funny, because I would always think he was crazy when he said that, yet lately his comments seem to be holding true for A LOT of guys.
        How so?

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
          How so?
          well mostly due to the economy, many people with degrees can't even find a job in their field or with their salary expectations. Any time theirs a recession, many people will look into LE, because of the job security. Its not a bad thing, just human nature as well as the cards many people have been dealt because of the economic mess.

Comment

well mostly due to the economy, many people with degrees can't even find a job in their field or with their salary expectations. Any time theirs a recession, many people will look into LE, because of the job security. Its not a bad thing, just human nature as well as the cards many people have been dealt because of the economic mess.
            Place me in that category. 4 year graduate whose degree hasn't been put to use not out of not wanting to use it but simply because the jobs are just plain scarce!

Comment

Place me in that category. 4 year graduate whose degree hasn't been put to use not out of not wanting to use it but simply because the jobs are just plain scarce!
              I have many friends all in the same boat! The ones with the medical degrees are the only ones doing ok. My cousin and her husband are both respiratory therapists. they are doing very well. I work at quest diagnostics and do OT daily. On the other hand, I work with people with business/finance degrees that cant find work.

Comment

25k was pethetic and a spit in the face to cops. Not only was it 25k you had to pay for about 5k in equipment. Unless you had family and their support to help you. You had no chance taking the job and living on your own. Do the math. The pay checks were under 500 every 2 weeks after taxes. Thats a 1000 a month. Now factor in a apartment, at minimum 800. That leaves you 200 a month for gas, transportation, food and not to mention the equipment you had to buy and god for bid you had kids. Be real it was not possible unless you were doing something on the side or had family support. Many people didnt take the job just for the mere fact they were processing for many other departments and its impossible to get a day off in the academy, there for locking you down.

Yes it stinks that now there is a a decent salary and you were willing to take 25k, but thats life, not everyone has a financial situtation to make that sacrafice.

Comment

If you took any NYPD cop patrolling Jamaica estates at 76k a year, and offered him 30k more a year in NCPD patrolling hempstead...which do you think he'd choose?
                  Hempstead has their own Department, and Hempstead quite frankly is a crappy area. There's no lack of Police work to be done there.

I've been repeating this all over and over again here but it gets shot down by a lot of people. Once the economy fixes itself everybody is gonna run back to their Office jobs.

Comment

Yea, but by then most of our exams will have long since expired...putting some back to square one or forcing others to simply move on.

Comment

With all due respect, its a bit unsettling to hear that you want our job now b/c the pay is better, when you had people who took this job no matter the pay when it was at its lowest b/c they had the desire and passion to be in law enforcement.
                      I can see now that you just seem to troll these boards looking to cause arguments. You need to get a reality check and start living in the times we live in today. EVERYTHING is about money and being able to support yourself and your family. Im the first one to admit im all about the honor and duty of being a police officer and what it means, especially with my family blood line, but we live in different times now.
                      Last edited by NYPDxJx; 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM.
                      "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."
                      Moliere

Comment

This job is full of people in the past few classes who only took this job for the money/benefits. Many people arent on this job b/c they want to be police officers, they are here b/c the economy sucks and the job pays reasonable now. My opinion will never change, to me that is not a good thing for any department.
                        So by your logic from 1845-2007, everyone who joined the NYPD did so because they felt a calling in life to be police officers, money and benefits be damned.

If that was the case, the city would have had zero crime, until now. There would also be no "quotas" before 2007 since everyone on the job would have been gung ho and out to collar the entire city, and tag every vehicle that commited even the slightest equipment violation/parking violation/moving violation. They would also not have retention problems, since everyone hired pre-2007 is so happy to wear a NYPD patch and carry handcuffs. Everyone pre-2007 will also be estatic that there is talk of the job losing 20 and out, because it will so many more years they can spend on the job- and whats the big deal anyway since all the pre-2007 guys stay until they are forced to retire.

Your attitude reminds me of the line in Serpico when Tony Roberts says to Al Pacino "Who the hell told you were joining a goddamn Boy Scout Camp anyway".

Most people become NYPD officers because (insert-NYCTA, DOC, LIRR, DOT, TBTA, DSNY, FDNY, USPS, DEP and the list can go on and on) did not call first.

I grew up in NYC, and in the working class areas of the city (where I grew up and still reside) if you didn't go to college, or dropped out after a bit you took EVERY test the city/state/feds offered and usually wound up taking whatever was offered to you since you were tired of living with your parents.

Every agency has a few people that truly are proud to be a part of the organization, but most people are just there to do as little work as possible for the most money possible. I grew up with a lot of guys who are now on NYPD, who would have been just (or even more) as happy had DSNY called first.

If you seriously believe this "attitude" is a product of the current economic situation, you should start talking to more senior guys at your job.

Comment

Good luck!

The classes will be very small in the next few years.The job wants "diversity". They will chose candidates by gender,etnicity,etc.It will not be easy getting into the nypd as it was when the pay was lower,you may have a long wait,IF you even get called.
                          retired cop

Comment

Originally posted by NYPDxJx View Post
                            I can see now that you just seem to troll these boards looking to cause arguments. You need to get a reality check and start living in the times we live in today. EVERYTHING is about money and being able to support yourself and your family. Im the first one to admit im all about the honor and duty of being a police officer and what it means, especially with my family blood line, but we live in different times now.
                            +111111111

Comment

Originally posted by moonpatrol View Post
                              So by your logic from 1845-2007, everyone who joined the NYPD did so because they felt a calling in life to be police officers, money and benefits be damned.

If that was the case, the city would have had zero crime, until now. There would also be no "quotas" before 2007 since everyone on the job would have been gung ho and out to collar the entire city, and tag every vehicle that commited even the slightest equipment violation/parking violation/moving violation. They would also not have retention problems, since everyone hired pre-2007 is so happy to wear a NYPD patch and carry handcuffs. Everyone pre-2007 will also be estatic that there is talk of the job losing 20 and out, because it will so many more years they can spend on the job- and whats the big deal anyway since all the pre-2007 guys stay until they are forced to retire.

Your attitude reminds me of the line in Serpico when Tony Roberts says to Al Pacino "Who the hell told you were joining a goddamn Boy Scout Camp anyway".

Most people become NYPD officers because (insert-NYCTA, DOC, LIRR, DOT, TBTA, DSNY, FDNY, USPS, DEP and the list can go on and on) did not call first.

I grew up in NYC, and in the working class areas of the city (where I grew up and still reside) if you didn't go to college, or dropped out after a bit you took EVERY test the city/state/feds offered and usually wound up taking whatever was offered to you since you were tired of living with your parents.

Every agency has a few people that truly are proud to be a part of the organization, but most people are just there to do as little work as possible for the most money possible. I grew up with a lot of guys who are now on NYPD, who would have been just (or even more) as happy had DSNY called first.

If you seriously believe this "attitude" is a product of the current economic situation, you should start talking to more senior guys at your job.
                              Amen. Seriously.
                              Lemme add another Pacino quote, this one from Righteous kill:
                              "Where I come from it was either a gun and a badge or a hardhat and a hammer."

Whether you took the job for the pay or because its your passion, every single day you go to work not knowing whos gonna put a bullet in you. So yea, every cop deserves every single penny and then some. No matter why your took the job.

Comment

Have you also gone through the process thecongo?
                                so far only for nassau...still a hold on NYPD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2940 users online. 175 members and 2765 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X