Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Story...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by options open View Post
    the job paying more will hurt those that 'always wanted to be a cop' but it will attract a much broader diverse and educated crowd for sure.
    al sharpton is that you?

    Comment


    • #17
      haha i didn't mean racially diverse

      in all honesty i always said i wanted to be a cop my whole life. i went to school and as i was finishing up my bachelors the whole academy stall happened. so i went on to grad school. i'm close to finishing my grad program and being a psychologist. It would be very very hard to rationalize myself taking a job for 25,000 starting versus a job for 80,000 starting. Granted 40,000 is still a 50% paycut (not to mention the 100 grand i owe in student loans) so i may still be crazy

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by AtreyuRock View Post
        With all due respect, its a bit unsettling to hear that you want our job now b/c the pay is better, when you had people who took this job no matter the pay when it was at its lowest b/c they had the desire and passion to be in law enforcement.
        I think it caused many candidates to look at other municipalities first. I'm sure many people were able to get through a $25,000 academy,but I'm sure there were others that just couldn't do it. I don't care how bad your desire is,if you can't eat,pay rent or afford your uniforms then that desire wanes.
        Last edited by Dale Cannon; 10-14-2009, 10:23 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dale Cannon View Post
          I think it caused many candidates to look at other municipalities first. I'm sure many people were able to get through a $25,000 academy,but I'm sure there were others that just couldn't do it. I don't care how bad your desire is,if you can't eat,pay rent or afford your uniforms then that desire wanes.
          i strongly agree ^^^

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by AtreyuRock View Post
            al sharpton is that you?
            What's wrong with diversity?
            REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              OP I'm in a similar boat.. my test expires in June and I now want to get on. I have to call and re-open my case.. I haven't done anything besides the written tho.. I was trying to finish my 4 year degree first.. always could go back and do that later tho, gotta try to get on before our tests expire

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by AtreyuRock View Post
                With all due respect, its a bit unsettling to hear that you want our job now b/c the pay is better, when you had people who took this job no matter the pay when it was at its lowest b/c they had the desire and passion to be in law enforcement.
                If you had the chance to enter the force at $25,100 but had:

                school loans
                car payment
                your own apartment
                fiancee (at the time, wife now)

                You'd perhaps understand.
                Last edited by NYPD28; 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by AtreyuRock View Post
                  It means something to me. I have alot of respect for the officers who took this job when the pay sucked, and didnt put it off like others did and only went for it when the pay went back up.
                  I would of LOVED to take the job back when it was 25k. It's too bad that I chose to get a 4 year degree first.
                  NYPD Exam - 6011
                  Back Up Exam - 0310

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Yea, same here. I took the test in 2007. Always wanted to be a cop/something in law enforcement (2nd to that would be Fire Fighter)...but I chose to finish up college first and now I'm not even sure if I'll ever get into the NYPD now with my exam number being 6093 and all...Now I'm just trying to get things together for grad school and get going with my plan B...but I'm praying for my exam to get called before it expires in Dec of 2011.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Had I been living at home and didn't t have so many financial obligations back then when I took the exam originally I would have gladly taken the 25,100. I don't regret not moving forward with the process at the time; it just wasn't for me then.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
                        If you had the chance to enter the force at $25,100 but had:

                        school loans
                        car payment
                        your own apartment
                        fiancee (at the time, wife now)

                        You'd perhaps understand.
                        I understand all too well!!! House, kids everyday life. My wife works part time in a bank and makes more than 25k.

                        How they can justify paying a police officer so little, is beyond me.

                        Best of luck to you.
                        http://www.liffreedomfund.org/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
                          If you had the chance to enter the force at $25,100 but had:

                          school loans
                          car payment
                          your own apartment
                          fiancee (at the time, wife now)

                          You'd perhaps understand.
                          don't worry about it, this board is plenty of people who hold the "oh you should of joined when you took the exam and the salary was $25k" over your head. The $25k was pathetic, and after the cademy, you only went up to
                          $32k or so, which after deductions was an equal disgrace.
                          I came in under the $25k , but thankfully I was living at home with the folks...having lived solo prior, I knew that there'd be no way for me to afford to live solo on my own(or even with a room mate) without digging myself into a financial hole... take home very two weeks was...what, like $600 or so?
                          most of the kids who do the criticizing are not even 20 yet, are bitter because they're perps/cripples/sick in the head and thus on hold, or cops who have forgotten what it's like to be at the low end of the pay scale in this expensive city. Not everyone has a rich mommy&daddy to fall back on once the $ gets short...

                          to get back on topic: just get your transcript ASAP and get through all your steps. Provided you won't have any snags you should be good to go for the January class. As far as the non-cadet crowd, you should have a pretty good chance of getting in if they'll be hiring any decent number of cops. just a FYI, I reopened my case in the last week of august, and I had my final appointment in the middle of october.
                          Goof Luck!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Despite what some of you read here the NYPD hiring process can go very quick and very smooth without bumps.
                            The test score and placement doesn't always get lost.
                            Your BI can be accessed on the phone, they will be friendly and responsive to your questions and not lose valuable paperwork that took you weeks to compile.
                            The various tests and interviews can go off on time without undo delay and you CAN BE APPROVED, 4 Qu'ed, in a very short time.
                            You can be in shape and shaped up for the Academy and a very high percentage of your class will graduate onto "the street" (or maybe I should say "Impact" or some form of it) with you.
                            Many current MOS have their 20 in and are waiting for the economy to stabilize to pull the plug. Current staffing levels are bare bones in commands all over NYC and new classes are needed and necessary.

                            So your aspirations and dreams can come true...Keep doing the right things.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                              don't worry about it, this board is plenty of people who hold the "oh you should of joined when you took the exam and the salary was $25k" over your head. The $25k was pathetic, and after the cademy, you only went up to
                              $32k or so, which after deductions was an equal disgrace.
                              I came in under the $25k , but thankfully I was living at home with the folks...having lived solo prior, I knew that there'd be no way for me to afford to live solo on my own(or even with a room mate) without digging myself into a financial hole... take home very two weeks was...what, like $600 or so?
                              most of the kids who do the criticizing are not even 20 yet, are bitter because they're perps/cripples/sick in the head and thus on hold, or cops who have forgotten what it's like to be at the low end of the pay scale in this expensive city. Not everyone has a rich mommy&daddy to fall back on once the $ gets short...

                              to get back on topic: just get your transcript ASAP and get through all your steps. Provided you won't have any snags you should be good to go for the January class. As far as the non-cadet crowd, you should have a pretty good chance of getting in if they'll be hiring any decent number of cops. just a FYI, I reopened my case in the last week of august, and I had my final appointment in the middle of october.
                              Goof Luck!

                              Someone else here that understands me...lol.

                              Based on you're breakdown If I receive my transcript by the end of the month (USPS), hopefully a lot sooner than that, I should in theory be in good shape by the end of December. Fingers crossed!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
                                Despite what some of you read here the NYPD hiring process can go very quick and very smooth without bumps.
                                The test score and placement doesn't always get lost.
                                Your BI can be accessed on the phone, they will be friendly and responsive to your questions and not lose valuable paperwork that took you weeks to compile.
                                The various tests and interviews can go off on time without undo delay and you CAN BE APPROVED, 4 Qu'ed, in a very short time.
                                You can be in shape and shaped up for the Academy and a very high percentage of your class will graduate onto "the street" (or maybe I should say "Impact" or some form of it) with you.
                                Many current MOS have their 20 in and are waiting for the economy to stabilize to pull the plug. Current staffing levels are bare bones in commands all over NYC and new classes are needed and necessary.

                                So your aspirations and dreams can come true...Keep doing the right things.
                                AAAAAAAAAAAMEN! FINALLY...some positivity! so many people go thru the process smoothly with no worries.
                                Last edited by thecongo; 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM. Reason: .

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 3973 users online. 239 members and 3734 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X