300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After The Academy....

How much time off, if any, does a graduate receive after graduating from the academy?

Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
    How much time off, if any, does a graduate receive after graduating from the academy?
    I assume your talking about the NYPD Academy, as of right now you get 10 vacation days per year. If you are in the July academy, you'll have an extra 5 for the next year because you cant take vacation in the academy. Not to mention you accumulate about 4-5 chart days in the academy because you work 5 on 2 off. Once you graduate you most likely work 5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off.

Comment

LOL, your joking right? To start, you'll first report for orientation for whichever bureau your assigned, then you'll get your command orientation. Most times the night after you graduate depending on the day, will be your first night on patrol. The academy always graduates just before the 4th of July and new years eve. And ALL rookies work whichever detail.

Now as for real time off you would mean vacation. You will graduate the Academy with some chart days that are eligible to take. As for vacation I think new guys got screwed and only get 2 weeks to start now, but you are entitled to it, however, this will only be after you do your vacation picks, and believe me, there's no rush to have you guys pick'em. So to be safe if you have something that you need to do, see the Admin LT and ask nice, you should get the day, but as for vacation your probably gonna have to wait a month or two to pick. And theres no gurrantee that the time that you want is gonna be there.

Lastly, if you graduate in June you are entitled to pick your full 2 weeks, that is a fact, you cannot be denied that. When I came out it was in July, we were entitled to pick 4 weeks, however the CO said otherwise. He was only gonna let us pick one week. Big Union NO NO and the PBA stepped in and squashed that real fast. So just keep that in mind.

Comment

Thanks guys...

Comment

so when you graduate in Dec you work new years eve then immediately to orientation?

Comment

can you roll over vacation/sick days?

Comment

Originally posted by 250 View Post
              so when you graduate in Dec you work new years eve then immediately to orientation?
              You graduate like on Dec. 30th and the 31st you work New Years Eve(and freeze to death) then I believe they gave us Jan. 1st off and Jan 2nd-4th was orientation.

And yes you can roll over your vacation/chart days. You receive unlimited sick so that should answer your question.

Comment

I remember when I graduated I got vacation the first month in my new precinct.

Of course those were the times when we got 20 days to start with.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

When I graduated, I was assigned to an A house where I was in impact for a year on a footpost flipflopping 10x6 and 6x2, 5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off. Most of the time your days off you were off, unless if you're in a A house and there was mandatory overtime, but most of the time if you volunteered once in awhile they left you alone. They mainly went after the lazy ones who tried to duck the overtime. You had your details but most of the time they landed on my tour of duty. Things have changed since I graduated but that was my experience as a rookie.

Comment

Waiting for someone to ask who "they" are ...........

"They" are everywhere......

Used to volunteer/swap to work mids and weekends since we all know that "they" aren't around at those times......

Comment

Spoke with a buddy of mine who is a Providence Cop. He said that one of his friends in East Providence used to be NYPD. The former NYPD officer said that he only made like 20 arrests in his time at NYPD, which was 5 - 10 years, because you don't have time for the arrests on small warrants, just as he said the serious ones.

Just curious how frequently you guys make arrests and is there any truth to what was said. What are usual arrests and what would be considered not worth the time and effort.

Comment

Depends where you work!

No every part of NYC is a craphole with crime shooting through the roof.

I have made at least one arrest every month since I came on. This is AT LEAST. The most I have made was 10 in a month.

Comment

In Providence, my buddy makes an arrest a night, mainly because of driving without a license or registration etc. But small things like that. So when he said so few, then pointed out, only serious stuff, I was surprised.

Thought so much crime, that there would be many arrests. But busy busy. I suppose with so many officers, even 1 arrest a month adds up. I'm sure location and what is going on has a major impact on that.

Do you find that you don't have time to make additional arrests or is it just sometimes you don't run across anyone for a stretch of time?

Comment

Well if I cannot make an arrest(non observational), I give it to another cop who may be looking for one. Many times it is just that we do not run across an arrest all the time.

Comment

ROW doesn't count as an arrest!
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3317 users online. 166 members and 3151 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X