Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living with an NYPD Salary

Hey everyone.

I am a massachusetts resident, and took test 8312 for NYPD. I don't anticipate getting into an academy for 1.5 - 2 years. But I am curious about how people get by living in NY city on only 40,000 salary? 25,000 is unthinkable to me.

But for someone potentially moving from mass, with no family in the city, what locations should I consider living in which I could afford. I am not opposed to roommates, other NYPD recruits would be preferable. Other than that, no roommates.

How is the cost of living including rent, food, etc etc. I would imagine cars are not really needed, what do you all do about that. The academy is located in Manhatten right? What is the easier ways to commute to manhatten from say Brooklyn, or whatever locations recruits tend to live?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by blue1stand9 View Post
    Hey everyone.

I am a massachusetts resident, and took test 8312 for NYPD. I don't anticipate getting into an academy for 1.5 - 2 years. But I am curious about how people get by living in NY city on only 40,000 salary? 25,000 is unthinkable to me.

But for someone potentially moving from mass, with no family in the city, what locations should I consider living in which I could afford. I am not opposed to roommates, other NYPD recruits would be preferable. Other than that, no roommates.

How is the cost of living including rent, food, etc etc. I would imagine cars are not really needed, what do you all do about that. The academy is located in Manhatten right? What is the easier ways to commute to manhatten from say Brooklyn, or whatever locations recruits tend to live?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Most of us new recruits live at home if I was to guess. The salary isn't bad, I'm on pace to pull in 50k+ my first yr on patrol with overtime. I don't have any suggestions on where to potentially live, but rent will probably be expensive whether it be LI, queens or bk. I have the luxury of my own place with a family member.

Yes the academy is in Manhattan, everyone took the LIRR or Metro-North to commute there. I carpooled with 3 other guys and split the parking around the block from the academy. As a recruit, the LIRR, NYC Subway, and Metro-north is free to ride so you'll save there.

Comment

You'll live fine as long as you live within your means. Living on an NYPD salary is more than easily done.

Comment

NYPD has a message board link on their website with a forum for recruits looking for roommates to split rent.

http://nypdtraineescommunityboard.yu...-ROOMMATE.html

Comment

No real problem living in NYC after all you are carrying a weapon once you graduate.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I was just concerned about the cost of living on that salary. I know it is much higher in NY than here in Ma.

The cost of living in NYC is right on par with LA. Odd thing is LAPD make 61,000 to start, with the same cost of living, where NYPD only make 40,000. Also, LAPD make more in overtime, and a nice schedule 3 12 hour shifts. But, I am an East Coaster, LA is just might not be for me I think.

Are details offered in New York City, like at clubs/bars etc. Around here there are tons of them offered and all of the cops I know clear 90k last year with their details, salary, and OT all figured together. (Salary is around 50k).

Are there opportunities beyond just your normal patrol schedule? Just curious, won't really impact my decision, just wondering.

Comment

you'll have to ask one of the guys out of the academy, but from what i've heard there's always opportunities for overtime if you want it

Comment

I moved to the bronx from NJ to go to the academy. I found and nice spot close to the train and rode for free. I was in the last 25,100 class and it wasn't easy, but you can do it. I lived in the riverdale section of the BX, and you can find an apartment that will work for $800-1000. As far as OT goes, you get some in the academy and being on Impact you can almost decide how much overtime you work. I recently moved to a "slower" pct and the OT is slim to none.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wpaterno View Post
                  I moved to the bronx from NJ to go to the academy. I found and nice spot close to the train and rode for free. I was in the last 25,100 class and it wasn't easy, but you can do it. I lived in the riverdale section of the BX, and you can find an apartment that will work for $800-1000. As far as OT goes, you get some in the academy and being on Impact you can almost decide how much overtime you work. I recently moved to a "slower" pct and the OT is slim to none.
                  I thought there was no OT in the academy?

Comment

While in the Academy you will O/t I think twice if I remember right. You get it for that worthless Cims/Nims training, and then again for something else.

Once you get out O/t is really what you make of it no matter where you go, esepcially if your in "A" house. EVer hear of Collars for Dollars? And on top of that a lot of commands have things like Umbrella overtime every weekend.

As for living on the salary its not that bad. Doing it on your own is tough cause the average rent of a nice 1BR is about $1000, then you have to throw in all the other stuff like your phone, cable etc. But it is doable. As for me, I found two roommates both on the job to start and we lived together for about 3 years. We started off with 1BR i BK and then got a house in LI.

Once you hit top pay you will make 95K plus depending on what tour your on. Us midnight guys are making easy over a 100K working very minimal O/T

As for extra money when you get started, there aren't many details like nightclubs that you can work. Some precincts have O/T details on the weekends for bars in stuff, but for the part most guys do Paid detail, which is anything from working a Yankee's game to standing in a bank. So you really can make some nice coin for basically doing nothing. Not too shabby.

All in all the money is good now, but keep in mind that the cost of living is HUGE in NYC, and 100K here is like 70K in other places.

Comment

I normally do 20-30 hrs ot a month, although last month I did 72.5 hours (ALL CASH BABY). The OT is mostly volunteer where I am unless it's an ordered detail.
                      The paid detail is also a good way to make some extra cash. It's 33 dollars a hour to stand outside a bank or retail shop. You need 1 yr on the job though.

Comment

Originally posted by binzo View Post
                        I normally do 20-30 hrs ot a month, although last month I did 72.5 hours (ALL CASH BABY). The OT is mostly volunteer where I am unless it's an ordered detail.
                        The paid detail is also a good way to make some extra cash. It's 33 dollars a hour to stand outside a bank or retail shop. You need 1 yr on the job though.
                        How do paid details work? Is it like OT except a detail?

Comment

its when a company outside the nypd is paying you on your days off to work in there establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by bkny27 View Post
                            its when a company outside the nypd is paying you on your days off to work in there establishment.
                            Do you wear your own uniform with all your equipment, or they provide you?

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                              Do you wear your own uniform with all your equipment, or they provide you?
                              You wear full uniform with hat.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2620 users online. 129 members and 2491 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X