300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits and Salary

Can someone please explain the salary that a potential police officer gets while in the Academy? I visited the NYPD Recruit site and saw that while in the academy one's salary is $40,361 but then that amount rises to $43,062 - the same thing occurs at every other point along the time-line provided by the illustration.

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/NYPD_BenefitsOverview.aspx

It's pretty self explanatory. The reason it is listed as 43,062 is that 40,361 is the base pay, with the extra 2K being longevity pay, uniform allowance, etc. It does not include overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
      It's self explanatory for every period on that time-line with the exception of the academy. Do potential P.O.'s in the academy receive more compensation for doing their shift in the evenings as well (similar to those on the force)?

Also, while in the academy do you "work" holidays?
      Last edited by NYPD28; 10-08-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The Recruit pay doesn't include longevity pay. Longevity pay is given at 5 year increments I believe. When someone asks members to explain their issue, it's pretty impolite to say, "It's pretty self explanatory" ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
          When someone asks members to explain their issue, it's pretty impolite to say, "It's pretty self explanatory" ya know?
          I didn't mean it like that.

Anyways, the higher paycheck is supposed to be what you get including bonuses, with the lower one being base.

Comment

Lol I wonder why they didn't have the fancy badge swingy thing graphic when the starting salary was $25k.

Comment

Liny,

Are those bonuses, while in the academy, perhaps what I mentioned in my previous post:

Having your shift at night & working holidays?

Comment

Lol I wonder why they didn't have the fancy badge swingy thing graphic when the starting salary was $25k.
                So very true!

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
                  Liny,

Are those bonuses, while in the academy, perhaps what I mentioned in my previous post:

Having your shift at night & working holidays?
                  Since I believe the Academy doesn't cancel during Holidays, then yes, probably a no on the night, since they probably don't have classes then.

The majority of it is probably to supplement supplies purchased such as the Uniform allowance and anything else you need during the Academy. I could be wrong though.

Comment

You don't go to the academy on holidays or weekends, thats why some guys miss it lol. During the gigantic academy classes in the past they had different squads, some recruits did day tours, some did 4xMidnights.

Comment

You don't go to the academy on holidays or weekends, thats why some guys miss it lol. During the gigantic academy classes in the past they had different squads, some recruits did day tours, some did 4xMidnights.
                      Thanks for the info....

I remember being told it was either from 7-3 (day) or 4-12 (night). Has that changed?

Comment

You don't get night diff if you do 4-midnights in the academy. You get two holiday checks a year once you are out of the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by UpstateNYPD View Post
                          You don't get night diff if you do 4-midnights in the academy. You get two holiday checks a year once you are out of the academy.
                          2 holiday checks a year? You mean you're only allowed or can only work up to two holidays in 12 month period?

Comment

2 checks a year. its extra pay they give you two times a year. when i was in the academy from july-january we got off christmas day and thanksgiving but you use your own time for it. so those 10 vacation days you get or the chart day u get once a month are used then. every other mon-fri you are working.

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD28 View Post
                              2 holiday checks a year? You mean you're only allowed or can only work up to two holidays in 12 month period?
                              No. It takes all the holidays in the first half of the month and it gets put on one paycheck. And during the Academy we got Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day off if I remember correctly. You had to use up a vacation/chart day though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5380 users online. 280 members and 5100 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X