300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• promotions in nypd

how does the promotion system work for the nypd?

i've heard you take a test, then get ranked based on education, qualifications etc. Is this right? anybody have any further info.

Umm no.

Pay for the exam, show up on a saturday and pray you pass.

Then you wait for your list number to come out and you go to supervisor school for like 2 weeks and PRESTO! A SERGEANT YOU BECOME!.

Anyone can be a Sergeant on this job as long as you know how to read the patrol guide and take an exam.

Personally, I think its a SHAM as so many supervisors should not be in that position of guidance to others.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

so nothing else matters besides from your score on the test?

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
        so nothing else matters besides from your score on the test?
        There are other ways to get promoted then exams. What was mentioned above is just the easiest way to get to the SGT position. Alot of other positions in the dept are obtained by doing exceptional work and or by being recognized in the dept by someone. Oh and of course by having hooks. Duh.
        "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."
        Moliere

Comment

how long before you can make sgt? 3 years?

and is it the same format for promotions after sgt?

Comment

oops.......
            Last edited by NYPDxJx; 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM.
            Moliere

Comment

options, i sent you a PM, read it at your convenience
              Moliere

Comment

Wrong information.

The only promotion in which you can be made by simply merit from the rank of Police Officer is to the rank of DETECTIVE.

Others "merit" ranks shall include Deputy Inspector, Inspector, Deputy Chief, Assistant Chief, Bureau Chief and Chief of Department(all uniformed).

Those ranks mentioned above are the rank of Captain with a designated discretionary rank of ---insert rank listed---. This means they must pass the Sergeant exam, then the Lieutenant Exam and finally the Captain exam before moving on to the next rank(listed in order) under the discretion of the police commissioner.

You are eligible to take the Sergeants exam with 3 years on the job and can be promoted on your 5th year. Lists are open for 4 years, so there is plenty of time to be promoted if you are not on your 5th year yet.

Comment

You need College Credits for any promotions of supervisor type ranks.

Currently, 64 college credits are required for promotion to Sergeant. Ninety-six credits are required for promotion to Lieutenant, and a baccalaureate degree is needed for promotion to Captain. It is important to remember that these are minimum requirements. Many supervisors enhance their career potential by pursuing advanced degrees. Additionally, there are positions available within the Department that requires specific academic credentials that may be earned through Department scholarships.
                  http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/tr...ip_unit_.shtml
                  Last edited by LINY; 10-08-2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Yes absolutely.

It is 64 for Sergeant, 9X something for LT and a bachelors degree for Captain. It is not important as the kid isnt even on the job yet.

Comment

I'm curious on how the people who have no College Credits but are in the military work out with it. Are the requirements waived for them or do they need to go back to school?

Comment

Look up an old Sergeants exam listing from DCAS, it should say.

I am pretty sure you have to get credits and your military counts for nothing past getting hired for PO.

Comment

I tried looking up "nypd sergeant exam listing" and the first thing I get is this thread.

Comment

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...0808564000.pdf

Sgt. Exam 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
                              Thanks. I didn't see anything about the military so I guess they gotta go back ta' school!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5881 users online. 345 members and 5536 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X